Difference Between Today and 30/40 yrs Ago - Page 3

Difference Between Today and 30/40 yrs Ago

This is a discussion on Difference Between Today and 30/40 yrs Ago within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Where I came from, in the 1950's, predators carried straight razors and it was illegal to carry concealed guns to protect oneself against them, so ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Difference Between Today and 30/40 yrs Ago

Where I came from, in the 1950's, predators carried straight razors and it was illegal to carry concealed guns to protect oneself against them, so one tended to avoid them. Today that would be considered politically-incorrect defacto segregation. Today, if one needs to defend oneself against predators, you better have a firearms-oriented lawyer on retainer. Things have improved a little, but we need to be vigilant so the Liberal politicians/legislators don't infringe upon those small improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by CURMUDGEON5 View Post
    Where I came from, in the 1950's, predators carried straight razors and it was illegal to carry concealed guns to protect oneself against them, so one tended to avoid them. Today that would be considered politically-incorrect defacto segregation. Today, if one needs to defend oneself against predators, you better have a firearms-oriented lawyer on retainer. Things have improved a little, but we need to be vigilant so the Liberal politicians/legislators don't infringe upon those small improvements.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. There are a lot of people that I don't like associating with and it doesn't have a thing to do with race, gender, sexual prefereence or anything else other than I just don't care to do the things they like to do. However according to the social engineers I am supposed to meet with them, work out our differences and sit around singing kumbaya.

Times have changed

I remember when I was in High School (mid 70ís) I would bring my shotgun to school locked in the trunk, so I could go squirrel hunting after school. One of my friends who I hunted with had a pickup and left his shotgun hanging in the window rack.

No one ever thought or said anything about it.

The 10 commandments were displayed in the main hallway.

There were no officers assigned to the campus.

I use to carry a 4-inch buck knife in my back pocket. So long as it was just less than 4 inches it was ok with the school. However, no one ever took it from me to measure.

And it's not that the times were different. WE were different and we were brought up right, did not raise ourselves without effective parents. A lot of kids nowadays just impose their own rules on themselves, i.e. none. I think that is the difference. Plus, as someone said yesterday, and it was one of the best points I have ever seen made, there are many more people nowadays in general, so the numbers of nitwits will have increased along with that general population increase, proportion-wise.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I can remember kids bringing .22's to school and putting them in their lockers for rifle team practice after school. I can remember if you were the target of a bully and you decided to beat the crap out of said bully instead of taking it you were considered a hero of sorts. I can remember every guy in grade school had some kind of pocket knife on them from about age 8 on up. I can remember playing until dark, (and sometimes even after dark), in the summer time and your parents didn't worry. Why? Because every parent on the block was your parent and would slap the crap out of you if you were doing anything stupid, and your parents wouldn't sue them, they would thank them then slap the crap out of you again. I can remember muscle cars.

Man I am getting old as well as sick and tired of the liberal B.S. that goes on in the world today.
    This happened in Nov. 2004.......
    NOVEMBER 2004 Orange County NY Shooters Newsletter
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

What a news story, hudsonvalley. That says more about us as a society these days than we ever want it to say. Wow.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    What a news story, hudsonvalley. That says more about us as a society these days than we ever want it to say. Wow.
    Did you notice that it was the HIGH SCHOOL'S CLUB!!!!!!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Yep.....very sad.

i remember the old days and im only 21

There have been so many incidents and stories in my life that today would have been regional news stories. i took about 10 .410 shotgun hulls to 2 grade show and tell once after my grand father taught me to cut them at different lengths to whistle complete octaves and tunes. the teacher said nice. i was about ten when a mother at a cub scout council event said i had a string hanging on the hem of my sweater, before anything else was said out was my knife cutting it off. she confiscated it and returned it to my mom who promptly gave it back to me. i think todays world is more a manifestation of laziness and most parents figuring it is someone else's job, coupled together with an over active civil legal department. whatever is causing it it scares me to think what it will be like in 10 years when my daughter is in high school?

My father said to me once when he was dating my mother in the 70s (in Jamaica) the only thing they had to worry about was a stray dog attacking them... now even the dogs are scared because gunmen target them along with homeless people... what was "violent" back then is nothing compared to now... even babies and small children are being targeted in order to leave a message of pure brutality, on who is the "wickedest man."

Don't know much about the States, so far not even the worst areas are as bad as what I have seen back in Jamaica, but it looks like it's getting there as time goes by... Just 2 hours ago I had to call 911 after I heard several gunshots while a car sped off... I heard on the digital scanner that there was a shooting in an apartment complex close to here, and a women was shot and now she is at DeKalb medical... and gunshots are not uncommon to hear in the distance here either, but what is sad is that I have been desensitized to this sort of thing because I was use to hearing machine gun fire outside my old high school (in down town Kingston) every election year at nights, I have seen a man's face blown off by an AK47, when you drive on a lonely stretch of road (close in cement company and airport) it's WISE to actually SHOOT into the bush because gunmen sometimes set up road blocks to jack you, can't stop at red lights when late, and life is getting cheaper every day to the scum that trolls around looking for an easy target.

Just looking on what the media portrays today as "criminal," is sad enough, they show them as victims to often, to many are cuddled by the weak legal system of certain states (Maryland comes to mind, it has a lame justice system.) while they paint an ugly picture of self defence, A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT... if your life is worth nothing, then there is nothing to live for and perhaps these clowns in the weeny states and media outlets really believe that life is not worth defending, it's not worth living, they have the same mentality of the criminals!
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    i took about 10 .410 shotgun hulls to 2 grade show and tell once after my grand father taught me to cut them at different lengths to whistle complete octaves and tunes. the teacher said nice.
    If a kid did this today, a psychologist would be called in... you have to wander what will be the reality in a few decades from now then.

50 years ago, there were shooting ranges at school to learn about gun safety and target practice... today the students ARE the targets and the faculty and staff (and college students of age) are left defenseless, while school administrators and politicians tell us a "gun free zone" keeps them safe.

Several decades ago when the Tommy gun was popular, you could actually mail order it, or by it at a hardware store without getting any special paper work... and in those days people could leave their doors open and nights... today it's UNTHINKABLE to leave your door open.

Today people don't talk with their neighbors, they don't talk with the kid's teachers, they don't even spend time with their kids... TV/Video games and Prozac have substituted for good parenting and now all of a sudden people wander why middle schoolers are piloting columbine style massacres?

Yup, I don't think I want to see where this country is headed in the next few decades, that's going to be painful.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

The goal in my eyes is; Don't let the psychotic ideas of the extreme liberal few overtake the level headed old time views of the majority.
    Not too long ago kids were better, crime was less, respect for elders was high, and gun safety was taught in school like the norm.

There are still good old time believing people out there who hold to tried and true values. It is a shame that so many feel they must tip-toe around in our own country. All this because of some limp-wristed panzies in the media, as well as horrific abominable groups like the ACLU and others. It is amazing how the wacky views of a few can be taken by the majority as the way most believe. It is just untrue and not right.

The old saying, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If we see these things happening around us and say nothing, silence is sometimes taken as, well silent approval. If we all speak up in our communities and in our local governments the truth will again be realized.
    I would rather sit before 12 than be carried by 6

"And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one".---Jesus
    Luke 22:36
    to the remaining eleven disciples following the last supper.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    What happened down the street the other day was absolutely ridiculous. A fifth grader went to show and tell at this classroom and what did he have but an obviously empty hand grenade. It was obviously just a shell, but the teacher went crazy and called police and the school was evacuated and it was on the newscasts. And this was just an empty shell of a hand grenade which are for sale in any Army Navy surplus store for ten bucks. No pin etc. And it was treated like an international incident. This is a very sad commentary on how we are ruled by fear and common sense is a distant third or fourth in our priorities, It is fear first and foremost. What will people think? So the international incident is over now and all the embassies around the world have reopened and here on the Cape things are quiet again.
    Oh my GAWD!!!!! In junior high school I gave one to a teacher as a birthday gift! (He was cool, a friend as well as a teacher!) He kept it on his desk and used it as a paper weight the rest of the year!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links