beating to death

This is a discussion on beating to death within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think dialing 911 is a no-brainer. Pulling the trigger gets a little more complicated. There is a lot of ground between the two. You ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: beating to death

I think dialing 911 is a no-brainer. Pulling the trigger gets a little more complicated. There is a lot of ground between the two. You can use OC spray, taser, a big stick, rocks, harsh language, etc. But until I know who's who, I will not shoot someone simply because he's winning the fight. The last thing I want to do is shoot a father that giving a sound thrashing to the guy that molested his daughter.

2. Remove Ads

Well,I have to agree with you on the molestation deal. IF I found that out I would probably get a couple kicks in myself.
    Ruger GP100 .357 mag
    Ruger p-90 .45acp
    Taurus PT-140 acp
    Rossi .357 mag
    Hi-point .45 acp
    DTI AR-15

This type of thing has been discussed before...it's a tough situation because you really don't know which one is the bad guy (obviously seeing an elderly person or a woman getting beat would be different).

Who's to say that the guy that is "winning" at this point in time was the intended victim who has turned the tables on his attacker.

I don't think there's a cut-and-dry answer. Definately call 911 and be a good witness. Be ready to intervene if it becomes obvious that one person has crossed into "excessive/unlawful force" territory, but don't be too quick to be Captain America.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ron
    Sorry, folks, but it is all too easy to sit at our computors and postulate about what we would or would not do in the kind of situation posed in this thread. The fact is that none of us can really know what we would do until actually faced with the situation.

If 25 years old, standing 6'2'', weighing 180 and single, my reaction is likely to be different the if I am older, have a family to worry about and am long past my prime fighting years.

In any event, there are so many other variables, that would and should dictate our response, that it is almost meaningless to engeage in a discussion about what action we would take. But, I certainly agree with those who wrote that we better be darrn certain about what is happening before we start drawing our gun. Just my opinion.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Been There

I have been in this situation, several years ago my neighbor was attacked outside his home by another man about his age. I called 911 to start, my neighbor was starting to black out from the beating he was receiving so I ordered the aggressor off of him. when he didn't stop I put a round in a nearby tree and ordered him off again at which time he complied. I reholstered and held him until a Deputy arrived.

One of the reasons I like these forums is the variety of ideas and responses I see.

If I were in my home State I would not have a choice as I'm LEO and would have to intervene (and have had to in the past both on and off duty...and while with the wife, who hates confrontations, it can be a *****!) Either way I could not morally stand by and let someone be beaten to oblivion (regardless of my personal feelings...that's why we have a court system, right, wrong or indifferent)

I would hope to not have to utilize deadly force but given the OP's initial situation (victim is possibly being beaten to death) it would be legally justified to protect the life of another.

In Detroit some months back there was a story on the news where a man in late 80's was getting car jacked by a guy in his 20's outside of a storefront. He didn't exactly get out of the car fast enough, and ended up hanging on the door. Well the thug hit him in the face repeatedly for some time and several people who were close by stood by and did NOTHING. The poor old guy took dozens of hits to the face and neck. In this kind of beat down, I would get involved. Disparity of force, and an ederly guy could lose his life taking hits like that.
    Turned out OK...the victim lived and the BG was caught. The old guy was also a WW2 veteran who landed in Normandy. Apparently tough guys like that stay tough.

If it was 2 young guys going at it...no way...call the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    You must be sure that you jump in on the correct side, legally. You have no idea who the perpetrator is and who the victim is. If you jump in on the wrong side of that fight, you could end up being liable for what happens, civilly. And criminal charges could be filed, but that is unlikely, as you are just trying to do the right thing and are stopping an assault and battery. Defense of others is a valid defense to a charge of a and b. So you must be sure what is going on and that could be tough to do. This is in a fistfight. It makes a difference if the guy on the bottom is unarmed and the guy on top is stabbing him. Then for him it may be the choice of complying with your commands or contracting a case of instantaneous lead poisoning, and you would be justified.
    Off the NRA true tales site...

Upon witnessing a man yelling at a woman and pushing her into a van, a passerby tried to be a Good Samaritan. Police say he asked the woman if she was okay and told her she didnít have to get into the manís vehicle. While stopped at a traffic light moments later, the vanís driver confronted the man. Both men exited their vehicles, and the vanís driver knocked the Good Samaritan to the ground. Two women, including the woman the victim tried to help, exited the van and began stomping on him. A passing motorist witnessed the scene and quickly stopped. He drew a firearm and ordered the three suspects to halt the beating. Police received reports of a man holding people at gunpoint, but quickly determined he had a concealed carry permit and arrested the three suspects. (Ann Arbor News, Ann Arbor, MI, 02/14/08)

This highlights just how much and how quickly things can go wrong.
    I choose intervening over watching someone die. But, these things are often confusing and hard to tell who's the GG and who's the BG.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ArPacker View Post
    I have been in this situation, several years ago my neighbor was attacked outside his home by another man about his age. I called 911 to start, my neighbor was starting to black out from the beating he was receiving so I ordered the aggressor off of him. when he didn't stop I put a round in a nearby tree and ordered him off again at which time he complied. I reholstered and held him until a Deputy arrived.
    Dont think I would have reholstered in that situation until LEO arrived. BG now knows you are armed and you dont know what his mindset is, other than what you witnessed. He might have went after you to escape before LEOs arrive.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links