What would YOU do?--Disabled Witness - Page 5

What would YOU do?--Disabled Witness

This is a discussion on What would YOU do?--Disabled Witness within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No one, but no one could have said it better, Rivers. Why can't my posts be short and to the point instead of long like ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What would YOU do?--Disabled Witness

No one, but no one could have said it better, Rivers. Why can't my posts be short and to the point instead of long like a newspaper article?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Actually, I enjoy your posts. But watch it, I've never been accused of being brief and to the point. Don't want to set any precedent here!

Not that either of us are in this league, but remember how Everett's speech contrasted with Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. Two hours and over 10,000 words, and nobody even knows who Everett was. (His speech preceded Lincoln's 2-minute masterpiece.)

Guess "spray and pray" happens with orators too!

That is true. Thank goodness you did not come back with what i thought you were going to say about lawyers being long-winded, because I was going to reply that that was cold, yet true :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    That is true. Thank goodness you did not come back with what i thought you were going to say about lawyers being long-winded, because I was going to reply that that was cold, yet true :)
    Lawyers not pithy?
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar

awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    An easy way to understand someone's perspective is to understand the difference between truth and fact. I expect that too many jurors don't know the difference. Consider:

The temperature in a room is 72 degrees. There are two people in the room. One person likes hot weather so he feels that the room is too cold. The other person loves cold climates so the room is too warm for him.

The truth is that the room is too cold for the hot weather guy and too warm for the cold weather guy.

The fact is that the room temperature is 72 degrees.

Truth is how each of us interpret the facts, or what we believe to be the facts. Different people can have different interpretations of the same set of facts. Neither person is being untruthful when they state their "truths" but neither person can be necessarily relied upon to be stating the facts.
    I've never heard it put that way. Well played, sir.

Smile

Well said.
    But it sure would be nice if the judge instructed the jury that the law says the room temp. must be held at 72 degrees and that they are required to stay within the boundaries of the law when they are making their judgements about a law-abiding citizen defendant.

Without reading this entire thread, I would probably:

Fire a well-placed shot into a small part of the BG's car. This would let him know that I have the drop on him and he needs to stop what he's doing. After doing this (and of course, the BG has heard the shot fired and seen the result), I would yell to him that I've called 911 and they're on the way, whether it's true or not.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Hi SpringerXD. Some were wondering if it COULD be done like that and I said I thought some folks on these forums could do it safely, i.e. where the round stays in the car and does not ricochet and hit others in homes etc in the city scenario.
    I kind of thought it could be done where the round stays put in the car as intended. Others thought it was far too dangerous to attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Hi SpringerXD. Some were wondering if it COULD be done like that and I said I thought some folks on these forums could do it safely, i.e. where the round stays in the car and does not ricochet and hit others in homes etc in the city scenario.
    I kind of thought it could be done where the round stays put in the car as intended. Others thought it was far too dangerous to attempt.
    Yeah, I can see their point, especially if we're talking about an FMJ round at such a high velocity.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

The thread really got going when they came on and said wait a minute, you could kill innocent bystanders while you are trying to save the one victim. And they were right, i THOUGHT.
    They we started wondering if a real good shooter COULD do it or not, and the debate went on from there, but I thought it was still up in the air whether a good marksman or excellent marksman, rather, could do it safely where it would stay put in the car. It's a good question. I thought it could be done, as I said, by some people reading this.
    I still wonder if it could be done or not, if anyone else wants to jump in.
    Could a rifle round fired into a parked car right near where assailant is assaulting V, could an excellent marksman keep the round from ricocheting around into houses etc on this city street?
    And I guess we were wondering if it was something that could be done at all, i.e. could even a trained sharpshooter do it or would it still be too risky?
    Naturally the best thing to do is wait for police to arrive and maybe do a few of the alternative things we suggested on previous posts, but then I ended up wondering about it and Howard said he was, also.

snip>".....could a marksman keep the round from ricocheting around into houses etc. on this city street?" <snip
    There are bullets on the market designed specifically for this purpose, they are called "softpoints". No problem at the relatively short distance of 100 yds.

Thanks. So a well placed shot could be done into the car, hopefully getting the message across to assailant.

The assailant would hear a sound like a small ball bearing or stone, thrown very hard, hitting the car and simultaneously, a sharp "crack" sound caused by the pressure wave of the bullet passing by him in close proximity in excess of the speed of sound. (guaranteed to discourage him from beating on the old man).

I guess so! The next round just might accidentally hit him, of course aimed at the car again, but since he did not stop his assault on the old man, well, the shooter just messed up a little bit. Too bad.

The jury has broken out in a loud cheer. Hear 'em?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links