My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved - Page 2

My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved

This is a discussion on My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Reborn I never go into a bank. I have a credit union office that is inside a secured location at a secure ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I never go into a bank. I have a credit union office that is inside a secured location at a secure site. I can do most things on a computer anyway. I guess that makes me blessed, it places the odds in my favor.
    +1. Not to duck the OP's question, but I haven't been inside a bank in years. Don't intend to do so in the forseeable future either. Just no need these days.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Most of the Banks in my area have a sheriff there during hours. I'm not shure but I think the sheriff's use the banks as a Dispatch location since I see 2 or three police cars in my banks parking lot most of the time. I havent asked but it sounds like a brilliant idea, this saves the county money since the bank flits the bill and the Bank gets a LOT of extra very capable security. Do you really want to rob a police substation!? :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

That is one bank that will not be robbed anytime soon.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I have to agree that I won't get involved until the BG shows that he is doing something other than just taking money. The bank has insurance on the money, so no need to risk my life or bystanders for that. If a gun comes out and/or the BG starts herding customers, its go time.Only the exact details of a particular situation would tell me when to say "GO".

unless I felt like he was actually going to SHOOT someone...I would just be a good witness. Your not a cop, and your not the protector of the sheeps money!
    Although I would like to think us straight minded, Type A personality types are the protector of their lives if needed, wether they like it or not!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Administrator

Post I think I saw that same video

His firearm Malfed didn't it? God awful time for a firearm malfunction.

Whoops! no...reading it again it was not the same Video.
    The one I thought you were talking about is where the OD LEO decided to act and suffered a malf and then the bank robber turned his gun on the LEO and they were grappling for the perp gun. Mighty tense.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    In my own view, I would stay out of it UNLESS he herds you and other folks back into the back offices etc and orders everyone to lie down. He needs to be popped at that point because he has made what I call "potential execution arrangements" and once he begins, if he begins, your chances just went out the window.
    So I would stay out of it completely, comply etc but when they begin that herding and lying down etc if you have a clear shot he must be administered a dose of lead asap. Just because you don't know what he will do and he is making preparation for something more final than just taking the money and running.
    And these days they frequently just like to hurt people for no reason.
    Grady, I saw a video, actually a series of photos, of an off duty officer in a line at a bank that was being robbed. He and the robber exchanged several shots each, with neither of them hitting the other, at very close range. Their bodies were in various contorted positons as they ducked, went to the floor, knelt, got up etc etc It was weird but it showed that even at close range people can miss the targets when things are wild like that. The off duty cop could easily have gotten killed. So could the robber, but that is obviously another story and not a very sad one.
    But when they say everyone in back and lie down, that is the time, as I said, to administer the lead dosage.

I am not sure. I don't remember that part. I am pretty sure but not positive that gunfire was exchanged and both missed, and as I said, each photo showed the two of them in these odd positions, going down, on the floor, firing, getting up, a series of photos.
    I have heard of a similar thing happening with Boston Police, not on TV, fortunately, where two city policemen came around the corner from each other (nighttime), these were rookies, needless to say, they saw each other from a distance, they both emptied their magazines at each other, no one was hurt! So in the excitement of the moment shooters can miss easy targets.
    I am pretty sure the off duty officer in the bank had a revolver. Maybe a .38, if anyone else remembers seeing this video on TV some time ago.
    It is entirely possible that in the bank scenario above by Grady, that a customer taking a shot at the robber might very well miss, even at relatively close range, just because of the adrenaline pumping that hard. Another reason to see if savages start ordering folks down or in the back room. Uh uh. He is the one going down if at all possible.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

The "typical" bank robbery will be a BG handing the teller a note and they may or may not show the teller a weapon.

Atypical bank robberies involve shots fired, people placed on floor and bank patrons and tellers shot, IMHO. With that said, as long as it's a "typical" bank robbery I would do nothing more than be a good witness.

I have already decided that I will be as meek and mild as an accountant from Akron, OH until shots are fired. I will be stepping away from any loved ones so they do not draw fire as I engage. The scenarios portrayed in Hollywood do not resemble most bank robberies, from what I've seen. I'm very thankfull for this.

I don't care about the money in the bank, but I do care about my life and the lives of my loved ones.

No disrespect to any Accountants from Akron, OH I was just trying to convey a sense of a non-threatening person to armed felons. Now ask yourself this, are you willing to create a "Hostage Situation" because you engaged the felon?

I'm not willing to create that kind of situation, and will try to take the least dangerous approach possible, both to me and others. Facing drawn guns, or dodging bullets, is not something that is condusive to a long life. I want to live a longer life. There is no "glory" in being a Hero, BTDT and don't want to do it again.

I try to find the worst possible outcome for any scenario and plan for that. Then if it happens, I'm prepared. If the worst case scenario doesn't happen then I can handle the lesser scenarios with ease.

Biker

By the time shots are fired, they may be being fired into people's heads, while these employees and patrons are on the floor. In my own view, and this is just one of many, having people get on the floor may not be what is going to lead up to executions but herding them in back and getting on floor, with no shots fired yet, that is the time to pop suspect(s). They are preparing for possible execution. If you are on the ground and you are say, number three or four in line, you will be taken out of turn and shot as you try to pull out a weapon on these folks standing above you.
    All your advantage is now lost, because victim thought it better to wait til shots were fired, and as I said, this is just one opinion of many.
    And this is off subject a little, but Grady, you look just like the guy on the old Sanford and Son reruns.

Administrator
    Well, you can search for indicators and telltale signs of what may or may not go down and "Watch Those Hands" but, it's impossible to accurately predict human behavior in split seconds especially when drug addictions are involved.
    As has been proved many times in the past already in various other robberies passive submission is no guarantee of personal safety.

But, statistically a bank robbery will happen without shots being fired by the robber.
    Statistically if that is wrong (in your particular scenario) then you could be "just another statistic" yourself.

Only you know how quickly you can gain access to your firearm and how competant you are with it.
    Then you'll need to add a large helping of SHTF into the recipe and then put everything you have into coming out on top.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Then you'll need to add a large helping of SHTF into the recipe and then put everything you have into coming out on top.
    The SHTF part is the "unknown" variable as it is different in each equation.

Biker

I'm still new here, but I generally appreciate the advice that the wise thing to do is allow the BG be the one to escalate the situation, not the responsible CC'er.

Seems to me if you walk in and things are relatively calm, with the lone BG not showing any gun, there stands a decent chance that he'll take his money and leave to go buy his crack or whatever he's decided to do with his ill-gotten gains. There's no immediate proof that my--or anybody else's--life is in imminent danger.

But if I draw, the situation gets ratcheted up several notches. Not the best response, IMO.

I do agree, however, that the BG herding people into a room and/or ordering people down on the floor does escalate the initial scenario to a new level. And frankly, I'm not fully decided on how to respond to that one yet. But at the very least I initially shield my family, attempt to casually move them to cover, and do my best to look sheep-ish while watching everything like a hawk.

Are there some good options/tactics to de-escalate a situation? Say the BG does show a gun and starts to get antsy. Without resorting to gunfire, how would/could you get him to leave happily and quickly with his money?

If someone is robbing the bank or store, then let him do it and let him leave. When he begins to branch out a little and wants to take innocent people down, he is not going to.
    My way of descalating it is to shoot defendant when he shows a weapon and starts ordering folks to lie down etc. Chances are that if he has a weapon, he will display it then, to back up his "orders".
    If he shows a gun, gets antsy, anything anyone does is only going to annoy him. Best to not even look at him, and if he does not leave and insists on going with today's trend of hurting people after he robs them? Then my way to de-escalate the whole thing would be to shoot him then and there, if I have a clear and close shot.
    We are never ever ever to blame for the actions of a gunman. No way will I take blame for de-escalating in that fashion after he just escalated things.
    Here is something for very serious consideration. We do not have to be pummelled, half beaten to death, shot at, wounded, etc before our right of self defense kicks in. There is such a thing as being so careful about what to do that you are dead before you know it. Every situation is different and demands intense scrutiny, and there might be ten angles to a question, not one or two. But when a gunman starts that foolishness of brandishing, threatening, lay on the floor, etc someone has to make sure it is the last thing he ever does.
    I do not think we should wait to see if he kills anyone or not. i.e. wait til we see how the entire scenario plays out. We might not be around for the entire scenario.
    I think avoidance is first, but that is his call also, not just mine.
    If defendant has a knife, I would approach him and issue the appropriate commands, and if they are disregarded and he moves towards me or others, time to act.
    We do not need to be at his beck and call and see what he has in mind, beyond a certain point.
    By robbing the place, he has already made a statement of sorts.
    When defendant chooses to rob an establishment, his "rules" are out the window, and our rules apply, e.g. that we live our lives without interference from savages.

We do what we have to do to make sure we live, no more, no less.

I will not wait for him to present a weapon!!
    If he is committing a felony in MS I can shoot him anywhere, And am not going to wait until he has the advantage(weapon displayed) to try and deescalate the situation!
    I have no Idea what he is capable of and will not hope he gets his money and leaves!
    The second I find out He is robbing the bank I would draw at the first chance I got!!
    I carry so I don't have to beg thugs for my life or watch him shoot a teller!!
    We all know how fast a weapon can be presented and used, If you fight fair your tactics SUCK!... To each his own
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Here in Gainesville I'm in the Bank of America every other week. Usually, I'm wearing a ballcap and sunglasses...I keep wondering how many people 'wonder' about me?

l am ALWAYS armed, and I am ALWAYS thinking about the robbery scenario....ALWAYS...(not doing the robbery, but about the what if's).
    The ladies at the bank's lobby usually have someone welcoming people coming in the door, and I know that they recognize my face.
    I watch every 'body' and all movement. I look at all the eyes and body movements.

I know that I'm not a cop...I do not care about the bank's money! I also know that I'm not laying down or moving away from the main lobby area.
    When in the bank, I look for things to hide behind or a way to quickly and safely exit.
    A robber with no weapon showing, just trying to get out of the bank, is only going to get a 'bye-bye wave' from me.
    Once a gun is displayed, the situation's possibility of danger changes and I will act immediately (it's a small bank lobby with pillars and desks to get behind).
    One has to think about how many gunmen? Positions? First shot? Cover? People behind targets? The possibilities are pure hell to think about.

We have all read recent threads of bank shootings, and recently, the pregnant teller who was shot after compliance.
    I'm no hero, not the bank's savior or cop, but I'm not getting shot without a 'personal battle'.

Stay armed...stay cognizant...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 8th, 2008 at 12:33 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links