My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved

This is a discussion on My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My bank makes everyone remove caps and shades when in the lobby....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved

My bank makes everyone remove caps and shades when in the lobby.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

We have to be aware of our surroundings, especially banks, convenience stores, streets at night etc . It pays to know who is around you.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    "My bank makes everyone remove caps and shades when in the lobby."

Ditto with my bank though they don't ask me to take off my sunglasses anymore.
    I usually go in with my Spaniel so they know who I am as soon as I enter the front door.
    Very few people ever rob a bank packing a dopey looking Cocker Spaniel on a leash.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Did you folks see the video where the police were tipped off ahead of time and when the robbers arrived at the bank, the doors were locked, in broad daylight, then police threw concussion grenades and now the robbers did not know WHAT to think.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Did you folks see the video where the police were tipped off ahead of time and when the robbers arrived at the bank, the doors were locked, in broad daylight, then police threw concussion grenades and now the robbers did not know WHAT to think.
    THAT would be interesting! Got a link?

VIP Member
    I'd follow the guy out and then mug him. He's probably got allot of cash right?

Ok seriously I don't get involved, but I'm not going to lay face down either. That's where I draw the line. It's easy to say what you'd do until the time comes though.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I just hope I'm never in a bank that's being robbed and there is some mall-ninja, hero type who decides he is going to escalate the situation.

I would never think about wearing sunglasses in a bank.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

REV9MM: No link. I think it was on America's Most Wanted or some program like that. But the would-robbers just went for the door and just about bounced off of them, as it was daytime and the bank was closed.
    Police cars came out of nowhere with concussion grenades everywhere and the robbers had a very bad day of it, went in all directions, were all caught.

Finally made it to the bank today. Nothing had changed--no sign of police or security anywhere. Business as usual.

Went to another bank nearby that usually has a police officer present. This time there was a security guard standing inside looking out, clearly visible from the street. Don't know why they changed from a regular policeman. To be honest, I couldn't tell if the security officer was armed... no offense intended to anyone, but he was so... uh... large that I couldn't see around him to where his weapon might have been. He could have had an AK strapped to his side and I wouldn't have seen it. I had to walk behind him to get to the teller, but the policeman were always positioned to where I was never able to walk behind them. Good thing for the guard I wasn't a BG.

Anyway, I appreciate the responses to this thread. I've been able to solidify my thoughts of reacting to a similar threat as mentioned. I won't escalate the situation unless I see a gun, but then I'll certainly consider escalating if it increases the chances we get out alive. And I'm not laying down unless there are multiple armed robbers, and maybe not even then. Also, when possible, I'm going to try to eliminate going inside of banks at all.

I read lots of good replies, but a couple comments stick in my mind:
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...I'll need to trust my gut to know exactly when I personally will explode from passive to extremely aggressive.
    I like this mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I try to find the worst possible outcome for any scenario and plan for that. Then if it happens, I'm prepared. If the worst case scenario doesn't happen then I can handle the lesser scenarios with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Grady, you look just like the guy on the old Sanford and Son reruns.
    Yeh, I get that a lot.

May we never know how we will respond in such a situation, but if needed, may we respond viciously and with ferocity.

Not my money. Insured by FDIC. Let the taxpayers cover it like everything else. Not worth getting shot for.

I haven't read all the posts, and my answer may sound somewhat callous to some.

I will act different if I am directly confronted by an armed robber than if I am just another patron inside an establishment who happens to be in close proximity to the action.

One thing I do know first hand, after viewing countless hours of closed circuit video surveillance tapes is that hundreds, if not thousands of armed robberies go by day in and day out without a shot ever being fired.

People putting loaded shotguns, rifles, and handguns directly in peoples faces, scaring the begeezus out of them, frequently even roughing some people up a bit, and then leave without firing a shot.

A deadly and dangerous situation, no doubt... but in the end... no one was shot or killed.

Having that knowledge going in, I can not simply set that aside and act like I don't know that more often than not, people don't get killed during an overwhelmingly majority of bank robberies.

I am not going to risk, setting something in motion that could go wrong and possibly trigger a killing spree. Not going to happen, I don't care what people say!

Armed robberies, especially bank robberies are highly fluid and tense situations and No ONE Person... especially a lone civilian ccw holder can control all the intangibles in a given situation such as that.

That said, once a bad guy starts pulling the trigger, all bets are off and it's now a totally different situation which more than likely, will require the immediate intervention with lethal force on my part.

As always, I will play it as I see it, as it plays out before me. For example, I won't be herded into some place to be slaughtered either.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A CCW-holder relative of a friend was in a local bank during a robbery recently. The robber mexican-carried a gun in the front of his pants, but only put his hand on it - didn't draw it. The friend's relative stayed cool, decided he wouldn't draw unless the BG did, but then he'd only "shoot him in the knee"..... He didn't want to kill him or hurt him too badly!!?!!?!!

I told the friend that's the way to get yourself and maybe a bunch of other people killed, and that the relative needed to get himself to a defensive pistol course, ASAP!!!!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    A CCW-holder relative of a friend was in a local bank during a robbery recently. The robber mexican-carried a gun in the front of his pants, but only put his hand on it - didn't draw it. The friend's relative stayed cool, decided he wouldn't draw unless the BG did, but then he'd only "shoot him in the knee"..... He didn't want to kill him or hurt him too badly!!?!!?!!

I told the friend that's the way to get yourself and maybe a bunch of other people killed, and that the relative needed to get himself to a defensive pistol course, ASAP!!!!
    That sounds like a good plan, maybe he should pass a note to the robber first explaining what his intentions are.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post

Sounds like assault with a deadly weapon to me.

One could argue making a statement like that could be considered a prima facie case of such by essentially saying he shot a guy that he felt did not warrant the use of lethal force at the time he shot him.

Not to mention like you already said, he could have triggered a killing spree by doing that.

Not to say that during a bank robbery situation the prosecutor would charge him with something like that.... but it's a good example why he should seek further training in defensive use of a firearm, because it certainly could apply in other circumstances.

JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links