My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved - Page 6

My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved

This is a discussion on My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife works at a bank that has been robbed twice already this year. They hand over the money to the BG call the cops ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: My bank was robbed - merged, updated & crime solved

My wife works at a bank that has been robbed twice already this year.
    They hand over the money to the BG call the cops file reports and go back to work like nothing happens.
    The next day the bank Hires Barney Fife with no gun to stand and look important for a week and it's bussiness as usual.
    The last time they got robbed the cops did catch the 2 guys the same day.
    If you are in the bank and it's being robbed do nothing unless you life is in danger, 99% of the time they take the money and leave without any one geting hurt the bank is insured and surprisingly the bank keeps very little cash on hand. BG always have this grand idea that there is a pile of money in the vault they have dreams of millions of dollars. Truth is Wal mart has more money on hand then the bank does.
    Have to agree direct depsoit and online banking and use the drive thru.
    I only go into the bank for one reason, to see my wife.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

VIP Member
    With the level of training and all that they give Security Guards I kinda think all one could do in a bank is get shot!

I too stay out of banks as much as I can.

Glad you weren't in there either time Grady!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I try to stay out but i work in one But it is temporary (summer) until i graduate College.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Glad you weren't in there either time Grady!
    Thanks!

I went to two banks today and handled some detailed transactions... all from the drive-through!

Yep, my days of going inside are now limited to stuff like opening or closing accounts where you have to go inside.

I may be slow, but I do learn after awhile.

The chances are you could be at the very next teller window while the bank is being robbed and you wouldn't even know it happened.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i lived in st. peters while in chiropractic school...behind mid rivers mall....small world.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I was in two armed robberies when I worked at the bank. Both times by the same individual. He ran in with a mask (pantyhose) over his face waiving a gun around and screaming for everyone to get down. He put the gun to the tellers' heads and screamed for the cash. He got out and as far as I know was never caught.

I was the senior employee during those times and had to lock the doors and hand out reports for each of the customers to fill out while waiting for the cops to arrive. Was quite the ordeal for many of the people. The tellers lost it, of course (as would anyone with a gun at your head and a looney screaming at you) and took a few days off work. Sometimes I hear people say they'd do this or that, but when it happens, you hit the floor. You sure feel vulnerable not being able to carry at work in these situations. In this particular situation, I wouldn't have done anything anyways. But if shots began to be fired, at least I could have taken some form of action to defend myself and others. But they weren't and the money was insured.

The stupid thing is that the guy only got between 2,000 to 5,000 each time. Awful big risk for a few bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    i lived in st. peters while in chiropractic school...behind mid rivers mall....small world.
    I'm 5 minutes from there. It's still a "good" area, for what that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Heat View Post
    I was in two armed robberies when I worked at the bank. Both times by the same individual. He ran in with a mask (pantyhose) over his face waiving a gun around and screaming for everyone to get down. He put the gun to the tellers' heads and screamed for the cash. He got out and as far as I know was never caught.

I was the senior employee during those times and had to lock the doors and hand out reports for each of the customers to fill out while waiting for the cops to arrive. Was quite the ordeal for many of the people. The tellers lost it, of course (as would anyone with a gun at your head and a looney screaming at you) and took a few days off work. Sometimes I hear people say they'd do this or that, but when it happens, you hit the floor. You sure feel vulnerable not being able to carry at work in these situations. In this particular situation, I wouldn't have done anything anyways. But if shots began to be fired, at least I could have taken some form of action to defend myself and others. But they weren't and the money was insured.

The stupid thing is that the guy only got between 2,000 to 5,000 each time. Awful big risk for a few bucks!
    Has your bank ever invested in an armed security guard? The bank I use has one who stays outside daily, and EVEN armed guards can be seen in the fast food places around here.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Has your bank ever invested in an armed security guard? The bank I use has one who stays outside daily, and EVEN armed guards can be seen in the fast food places around here.
    Nope. It would cost them more than they loose in the robbery.

Actually, since the money is insured by FDIC, it doesn't cost them ANYTHING when they get robbed. So, basically the gov't (FDIC) is giving banks incentive to be less secure than they should be.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Bank robber is 11-1

Well, they finally got the guy who robbed my bank twice this year. After the second robbery, my bank hired a security guard. But due to this robber, I rarely go in banks any more.

I'll have to admit he was pretty good to get away with it 11 times, especially when banks around here have been on heightened alert. Guess he won't be needing to go to a bank for a while.

MyFox St. Louis | Boonie Hat Bandit Caught After 12th Bank Robbery

Boonie Hat Bandit Caught After 12th Bank Robbery

Last Edited: Thursday, 18 Sep 2008, 10:59 PM CDT
    Created: Thursday, 18 Sep 2008, 10:59 PM CDT

By Chris Regnier

FENTON, MO (KTVI-myFOXstl.com) --
    He's been called a serial bank robber, but Thursday night, sources told FOX 2 the "Boonie Hat Bandit" had been arrested.

It happened after a Commerce Bank in Fenton was robbed a little before 3:30 p.m. Thursday.

Seven minutes later, authorities had their suspect in custody.

The FBI did not speak on camera Thursday night, but we expect to learn more from them Friday.

The "Boonie Hat Bandit" had allegedly robbed 11 banks since last November before Thursday.

The bandit earned his name from the military “boonie” style hat he wore in the first two robberies.

Then he changed appearances, losing the hat and putting on a sports coat.

"This is a very prolific bank robber for the St. Louis area and is prolific even on a national scale," said Zach Lowe with the FBI after the last robbery the bandit was suspected in last month.

Sources tell us the Boonie Hat Bandit's luck ran out at the Commerce Bank on Old Smizer Mill Road in Fenton.

St. Louis County police say the suspect went into the bank wearing a brown sports jacket and made off with cash in a blue Mercury.

Law officers on the ground and in the air quickly spotted the car. It was pulled over at the commuter lot at Gravois and I-270.

The lone person inside the car was taken into custody and the money taken from the Commerce Bank was found in the car.

Jim Albenesius was coming to work when he saw cop cars speed away from the bank.

"I'm going right in front of the Commerce and about ten cop cars drove by me. And by the time I pulled in the parking lot and parked, probably another five or six had driven by," explained Albenesius.

Investigators say Commerce Bank officials identified the person in the car as the one robbed the bank.

Albeneisuis is thankful the bandit has been put to bed. "People at banks who work there don't have to be worried about him anymore. And also it's just nice knowing that we don't have another person like that out on the street," said Albenesius.

County police tell FOX 2 there will be a line up Friday with officials from the other banks that were robbed to see if they can identify the "Boonie Hat Bandit."

No one was hurt in Thursday's robbery and no weapon was displayed.

FOXNews.com - 'Boonie Hat Bandit' Captured on 12th St. Louis Bank Holdup - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
    'Boonie Hat Bandit' Captured on 12th St. Louis Bank Holdup
    Friday, September 19, 2008

ST. LOUIS — St. Louis County police on Friday said 44-year-old Donald Keith Giammanco of Florissant has admitted to a string of 12 bank robberies in the St. Louis area. He was arrested after a robbery on Thursday at a Commerce Bank branch in south St. Louis County.

Giammanco is charged with four counts of first-degree robbery, and other charges are likely.

The robber was dubbed the "Boonie Hat Bandit" because he twice wore a military-style "Boonie" hat during robberies. He always wore nice clothing — police say that allowed him to blend in with the crowd at the bank.

Authorities say Giammanco got away with more than $100,000 in the robberies. The money he took from the latest robbery was recovered after police stopped his car.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links