Weapon cleared holster tonight

This is a discussion on Weapon cleared holster tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never thought I'd actually have to draw my weapon. The wife and I went out for our usual evening walk and were rushed by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapon cleared holster tonight

Weapon cleared holster tonight

I never thought I'd actually have to draw my weapon.

The wife and I went out for our usual evening walk and were rushed by a couple of dogs. We were on the last leg of the walk back towards the house when we heard some barking behind us. We figure it's the usual dogs barking about us being too close to their house, but we've never had any ever leave their property to come after us. One was a small Pomeranian type ankle biter and the other was a rather largish rottweiler. Fortunately the big dog stopped before getting to close, but it worried me bad enough to actually clear holster. Another couple of steps and I'd be praying that I actually hit the thing.

Whew

Wife says she will now be carrying all the time, instead of rather sporadically.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If legal in your area, you might consider carrying some pepper spray on your walks.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Around here almost all walkers and joggers carry a stick to fend off protective dogs.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

We had a problem with a couple stray pit bulls in our neighborhood last year. My neighbor had to pull his 1911 on one.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Glad it didn't take something worse to convince your wife to carry all the time. Some of the people on this board had to go through some pretty bad stuff before making that decision.

Glad everything worked out. Stay safe out there.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You were fortunate in two ways tonight:

1) dog didn't bite
    2) perhaps it woke the wife up to the need to carry always

Does pepper spray, oc spray, and mace work on all dogs? I mean like 98% of the time?

+1 on the pepper spray. With alot of dogs in the neighborhood, I'd actually carry it 'in-hand' until you're clear of the 'zone'. Shooting to protect one's self against an imminent dog attack? Let me say this--no matter what you carry, or what ammo you stock it with--skull bone is hard, very hard and oblique. You've trained for the human scenario and all of that, but most aren't ready to meet animal head on--see, it's a different animal all together. You may consider yourself adept with the 7 yard (or 21ft principles) for engagement against attack, or your 'box'. Dogs are a different story and I'd like to enforce that notion. That head shot at ten feet (once you've decided the animal is going to keep coming) may or may not take instant effect. Once the animal lunges toward you, you'll have no time to react. A pepper spray at 30 feet to a menacing animal is well within your rights, and it will affect the breathing which is key--this will stop them in their tracks where they never have the chance, and you won't have to second guess their actions or demeanor. On the other hand, you gamble and the first round glances off the skull, and you or your loved one is taken to the ground by a 80-100lb dog-----you'll never get another clear shot without putting others at risk--plain and simple. Thing is, whomever is attacked will likely survive a dog attack---it may not be pretty, and the hospital bills will be in the mail. Never look a dog in the eyes as it would escalate or provoke an attack even further. If you really have your wits about you, clap your hands, or rush the opponent as this will take them off guard and likely second guess their own determination to attack. On-the spot, or heat of the moment decisions are hard to make---but available options are relatively easy to employ. Carry not only your pistol, but your options as well. Take care and be ready---for anything.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That's one thing that has always concerned me. Most dogs, unless they've had extreme training don't know what a gun is and won't stop when they see one. And the ones that do, wouldn't be attacking you unecessarily anyways.

+1 on the pepper spray, they're legal here in Vt, get one that shoots a good distance, some only shoot 10 feet, and I want more room to maneuver than that.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I drew on a neighbor's dog one day. After that I bought a mobile home tie down swist in stake and brought it over to them and told them what happened and to keep their dog in their yard. A few days later, a different neighbor shot it and they thought I did. I didn't care, the problem was solved. If you walk alot, I would get the pepper spray.

AEA
    Yup, it is very difficult to put a dog down with a handgun......
    They just move too fast and even if you get a hit it most likely will not be lethal.

Best to carry a shotgun for dogs!

Or one of those .410ga revolvers.

I'm hesitant of OC simply because I've been sprayed with it and know that you can pretty easily fight through it. A pissed off person or a pissed off animal will still be able to attack (might not be able to see real well though). A electric weapon is even more iffy because if it's not ranged, it's worthless and if it is ranged (i.e. taser) then you get 1 shot to do it.

Maybe I'll carry some OC, but I still feel anything less than a gun is too iffy. Also if I spray OC then I've used up any reactionary gap to draw and fire my gun. I just don't want to take the risk of using something that isn't 100% effective as my primary means of defense (against a person or an animal).

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Your big-dog-small-dog story sounded a bit like something I experienced: I was waiting for a ride where our driveway meets the gravel road, and the chihuahua and the St Bernard showed up. The big dog stopped when I hollered "Go Home!" at him, but the stupid lunchmeat-dog came closer, barking his fool head off. I resolved (right or wrong) that I would prefer stitches to being known as "yap-yap" for the rest of my life had I shot him. I carry pepper spray now...

I've used pepper spray only once, when I worked for the Post Office. A barking dog came charging around the corner of a house. I drew the pepper spray, shook it, pointed it, and mashed the button. Nothing happened. The dog was still coming so I shook it again, went through the same process, with no results. The dog was still coming. I really shook it, pointed, squeezed, and shot a solid stream that hit the dog between the eyes. He stopped, sat down, and looked at me. Then he jumped up and ran. I never saw him again.

Pepper spray can be a 'dog attitude' changer...I even carry a 6oz on my Harley...
    I have had many dogs bark or come close, but I've never thought I'd have to shoot any of them...

Stay armed...spray the 'yapper'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links