Drive throughs...

This is a discussion on Drive throughs... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, first things first. I work swing shifts, so when I am getting off of work..(midnight - 2am)..most fast food places are closed except for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive throughs...

Drive throughs...

Ok, first things first. I work swing shifts, so when I am getting off of work..(midnight - 2am)..most fast food places are closed except for their drive throughs. So, lastnight when I stopped at a Taco Bell for their #6 special. I had to wait a good 5 minutes at the window for my order to be made. Which got me thinking. What if someone came up to my side door while I was waiting, and tried to car jack/rob/otherwise do mean stuff to me.

I was close enough to the window where I could hand the person working my company card, but also close enough to where I could not effectively open my door. My gun was at my 3o'clock, under my coat and seat belt. So I guess first off, I should have unholstered it and maybe kept it near my center console or something.

Just wondering what anyone else out there thinks about this situation, and what they would do to prevent it, and or live through it. Thanks in advance, and stay safe!
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

2. Remove Ads

I deal with that situation similar to how you are thinking: my gun is in a holster between the front two seats, ready for immediate deployment. If I lay my arm on my console, my hand lays almost directly on the gun grip.

My doors are locked, passenger side window up, and I am scanning the mirrors for someone approaching, which is probably what you are doing.

Drive-throughs can be dangerous, but probably safer than walking inside late at night.

As retsup might say:
    stay armed... eat at home... stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    As retsup might say:
    Haha that made me laugh. I do have very good situational awareness while waiting. And if I could eat at home I would. My job has me on the road 24/7, so I really don't even have a home I guess. Most nights after work I stop by a fast food joint to pick up a snack, and that is what got this question rolling in my head.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Yeh, I'm on the road sometimes, too, so I know how that goes. If by myself, I much prefer a drive-through than going inside at a restaurant. Just gotta watch for the urchins who are out looking to rob or worse.

VIP Member
    Although I don't do late night quick food drive throughs. I do use bank drive throughs in the early morning hours (5-6:00 AM). When I enter my truck I remove my gun and it is kept next to me on the seat, with my right leg holding it in place. My doors are kept locked, windows rolled up, except drivers window to reach the ATM.

You definitely need to stay safe! Taco Hell at 2AM? No wonder you can't get to sleep until 6AM!!

Lead Moderator
    Good situational awareness and be ready to hit the gas. Maybe uncover the gun , but keep it in the holster? I would rather have my gun secure but ready in case I hop a curb or something while trying to escape if possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great place to use a cross-draw/driving holster from Fist...

If I happen to be in a dark parking lot waiting for something or someone...or some other 'shady' place, I do one of two things: undo my seatbelt for easy access to my Kimber, or have my Harley gun also along (Glock-36) between the seats for an easy grab.

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I lock the doors as soon as I get in my truck. Window stays up unless doing business. At a drive through or ATM, I take the gun out & place it between the seats with a towel over it. I also leave it in D, that way if I need to hit the gas pedal there's no delay. I also try to leave a little breathing room between me & the vehicle in front of me.

This type of scenario (seated in a car or in restaurant booth, etc.) is why I'm really liking "appendix carry." Very easy to get the gun into action. (it's faster when you're standing as well)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    Just wondering what anyone else out there thinks about this situation, and what they would do to prevent it, and or live through it.
    Occasionally I will use a drive-through, but only when it's a layout that helps with the defense if it should become necessary.

It will have a large, flat wall all alongside the car, with no corners from which someone could instantly appear. The short counter means the car must be pulled fairly close to the wall (though, I pull closer still). I keep the doors locked while driving, and the windows up. I keep the car in gear and ready to go. I monitor the blind spots, watching for incoming. Being in an AWD tank of a car, I'll mow over anything to get to safety, if required.

When in a line, I always leave a good-sized gap between my car and the one ahead. That only makes sense, whether in a drive-up or on the street.

I've had a couple situations brew, previously, where folks approached to ask for change/whatever, or approached while seemingly angry. But, but no real threats so far. No need to quickly flee in the car, for example. No need to draw and defend.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I deal with that situation similar to how you are thinking: my gun is in a holster between the front two seats, ready for immediate deployment. If I lay my arm on my console, my hand lays almost directly on the gun grip.

My doors are locked, passenger side window up, and I am scanning the mirrors for someone approaching, which is probably what you are doing.

Drive-throughs can be dangerous, but probably safer than walking inside late at night.

As retsup might say:
    What he said!

First instinct- drive away. Either keep it in gear (I drive manuals) or watch the mirrors constantly. On a bike, you really have no choice but to sit down and eat in.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I would use the car before the gun in a situation like your describing. You have 2-6000 lbs of vehicle that you can squash a person between that and the building while making your get away. Slamming on the gas and turning into the building is generally going to be quicker than pulling out your pistol and trying to shoot someone who is attempting to replace you in the drivers seat.

Just be alert.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

First, I'd drive away, good suggestion above.

If I couldn't do that, then the gun on the ankle is the one I'd reach for. Anything up around the Belt is a PITA to draw while sitting in a car, unless it's an OWB Holster attached to the seatbelt in a crossdraw configuration.

Just my $0.02.

On most of my vehicles, I have all the windows dark tinted, and keep them up when stopped, and I always keep my doors locked.

The problem is when Iím driving the convertible or the motorcycle. Then Iím always apprehensive at night around inner city traffic lights, and parking lots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links