Drew & Fired - Please Help? - Page 2

Drew & Fired - Please Help?

This is a discussion on Drew & Fired - Please Help? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Excellent points, as always, BikerRN....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Excellent points, as always, BikerRN.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

bgriffin70 from my understanding you are in a very rough area and the area being known for problems.

The main tool we have to keep ourselves and families safe is our brain and I know there are situations that prevent us from making choices that will keep us safe at times.

By all means as soon as possible move out of there.

In Washington State if someone enters your home (this includes Hotel/Motel rooms and RV's as well) uninvited the courts see as they are there to do you harm, and you can use deadly force to protect yourself and your family.
    Be prepared to address the following anytime it comes to using deadly force.
    If they had the Ability, the Opportunity and the Jeopardy, which appears all these where met.

Right off the bat call 911 as you said your wife did, tell them you are in fear of your life, you are armed, where you are, what you are wearing and stay on the phone.

Firing warning shots I am not sure how this is going to play out. Employing a gun for self defense is in the fear of life or limb. Along with this we are responsible for what ever damage that those rounds my incur such as a ricochet and then striking a bystander.

It is never my desire to shoot someone but in that situation where you are confined, close quarters and a clear and present threat things could have gone really bad.

Watch this video and see what could have happened and he was real lucky.
    Video Library - Channel 2 News Utah

Good luck and as others have said get away from there.
    Deadly Force is Only Used to Save Your Life or a Life of Another.
    Anything else has non lethal options.
    Packing4Life

Good thing this scenario is not a real one. Now there is a good example, someone trying to help you (thankfully not from the DA's office or police dept) from WASHINGTON, reading all about it, when if the wrong person reads your post, you will only be hurt by it as a prior inconsistent statement. Where is the EDIT button??????
    Last edited by dcb188; May 12th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Keep in mind, in this scenerio - I was NOT arrested. The responding officer(s) I dealt with said that the ONLY thing they would have done differently would have been to NOT open the door, and obviously - to have called 911 A LOT earlier. This is input from others so what are your thoughts? Again, pretend is one thing, real is another.

As far as it being a concealed issue, I don't think it's applicable here nor did any officer state as such. This creates challenges for each of you on whether a CCW issue or not?

The officers, in fact, commented that in light of having to physically restrain the other two who entered my room and who were under the influence and were NOT registered to be on the property, that the prosecuter would take a look at this and most likely allow immediate return of my weapon.

Again, these are just verbal statements made by the officers on the scene. I have not heard back from the PD and I have no idea if they will charge me, and if so, for what ?????
    As far as what is next, I have no idea. At this point, there have been no charges filed in this scenerio. I cannot imagine what they would be even if, but the only thing I can think of is the discharge of a handgun within city limits? I feel I was justified in doing so, I was trying to avoid the unthinkable, but perhaps some would have not wasted two slugs on warning shots.
    One caveat to add... the warning shots I fire, I DID take aim on a pile of weeds in the empty, open field where I shot. Oh, and let's say that The PD was able to find the two .45 ACP casings as well.

I don't know what to do now other than wait to hear back from the PD.
    I did attempt to call the officer on when and if I will get my weapon returned.
    No response, so I'll just leave it alone for now.

And in regards to it being a CCW issue, if you might consider that one in this scenario, Secondly, I am MAJORLY worried how this will now affect my current application, IN PROGRESS, for my CCW permit in the state of Oklahoma ?????

In your hypothetical situation you are looking good, considering officer's remarks and their not arresting you.
    They would not comment about your weapon being returned so quickly if there was any lingering thoughts in their minds that the prosecutor would take it from there.
    But don't be amazed as to why you COULD be arrested. There are any number of valid reasons. So it is not like they had absolutely no reason to arrest you and could not have.
    This is one of the most common misconceptions, that nothing was even remotely done wrong and so I could not have been arrested. The truth is, you never know. State laws vary tremendously, and what happened in Washington, happening in Pennsylvania, might in fact end up differently and perhaps you would not be on a PC right now. There are many many variables.
    Last edited by dcb188; May 12th, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    lawyer up and shut up. I agree delete this post, find a GOOD lawyer, put him/her on retainer. thanks god you and your family are safe...
    you did make a few mistakes in hindsight, but you are alive, and so is everyone involved, and a glock 21 is replaceable.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I agree with dcb188 you want to make this thread not be part of court discovery and further make your lawyers job any harder even though you know you are in the right the printed word can be powerful to the otherside~ My job is finding discovery on computers
    just like you typed this thread on. listen to dcb188 and others ask to have this thread removed before it is spidered.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I think you were not perfect in your actions (easy to say after the fact) but none of us are. Nobody was physically injured. I would not ask for advice or even address problems on a forum regarding an incident that has not been resolved. Descriptions of the incident, admissions, soliciting advice and whether you took the advice could all potentially be used against you.

Best advice is shut up and contact a lawyer. Then come back after its all over and tell us about it.
    Last edited by Yoda; May 12th, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: removed incorrect statement

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    But his original post remains ready and able and willing to be printed out for future use.....but I have reached my maximum allowed self-imposed times to suggest a certain course of action :)
    Good point :)
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

ree
    Man oh man. Do what everyone else has said...edit away the post, then go here are watch this video that's made the round recently,

Don't Talk to the Police

to get an idea about why you shouldn't say anything and should utilize a good defense attorney if you are expected to say anything to the cops or government attorneys. One thing that's not necessarily obvious to many is that even if you are superman and can limit everything you say to stuff that's 100% truthful and seemingly non-incriminating, snippets can be taken out of context to taint your case.

Also, cops not arresting and charging you doesn't mean anything except that the police response seemed to be pretty decent. Who knows what management and the county prosecutor will want to make of it?

I would have called LEO instead of front desk,I would not of opened door for people trying to get in If they did break in after being told they have the wrong room they would be shot where they stood,no warning shots ever,if that round ricochets and kills or wounds an innocent you are in trouble,You break into my "castle" you put you're life in my hands
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not all that common to get charged later after police made the specific comments they made in this real-life scenario plus no arrest.
    Is not being arrested an ironclad guarantee of no prosecution?
    Of course not, but how many times do you see crim complaint issued later on, when responding officers did not arrest (and could have).

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    We all believe in the RIGHT to Free speech and the RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

Please man Exerise your RIGHT to Remain Silent right now!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

im calling BS on this being a real story. Probably dreaming of the day you get your permit. wake up! you made to many mistakes......

Quote Originally Posted by tngunner View Post
    im calling BS on this being a real story. Probably dreaming of the day you get your permit. wake up! you made to many mistakes......

Oh come on man...I for one felt sincerity out of that post...I seriously doubt that this is a case of "Mall Ninja"

What would you have done in that situation? And do not start with "I would not have put myself in the situation in the first place BS"...honesty if those events were to happen to you, what would you do?

Even in the event that this is a BS story there are a lot of good comments out of the rest of the crowd here guiding others on what not to do.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links