Are you eye balling me?

This is a discussion on Are you eye balling me? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Eyeballing someone may just be as simple as someone thinking they recognize the person or think they know them from somewhere. Locking eyes is something ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Are you eye balling me?

Eyeballing someone may just be as simple as someone thinking they recognize the person or think they know them from somewhere. Locking eyes is something a bit different.Nature is full of animals that view direct eye contact as an act of aggression or a challenge. Best to avoid direct eye contact with strangers, but scan and remain aware of whats what.

2. Remove Ads

I think it is much different with women when they are being looked at, like, wow, come with me, that look. So that is an entirely different situation where almost any eye contact back to the guy means, to him ONLY, wow, she is in love with me:) So in women's situations, where guys are seeing what is out there and available, completely different story.
    I got the impression, and I still have it, that SOME, not most or all, but some here are tuned to the slightest look, which is overdoing it ,in my book. Because that is almost an invitation for the other guy to become aggressive when all he was doing was looking around in the first place. So I think it not only can backfire but does in a some cases.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

It happens to me all the time!! Guys just want to start trouble ....
    when they catch their wife looking

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Good response!!!!!

cdwolf, I can see where YOU do need to be more careful than most :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Kids these days have a thing for being "disd"..and in some circles, that could mean your life! One has to be careful not to "dis" a person by an innocent stare.

Lima, as for passing out phone numbers, memorize your local police or sherrif dept phone numbers and pass those out
    "Brains before Bullets"

I just can't understand how any man can make the leap to assume that a woman is flirting with him and giving him an invitation to pursue her simply because she may look him directly into the eyes for all of 1.5 - 2 seconds.

That's about all it takes let someone know that you SEE them. That's it.

For a man to get a 1 second eye contact like that and think they are such a stud that she is obviously inviting him to some personal interaction is bordering on predatory behavior.

Now if the woman winks at him or purses her lips, licks her lips, or tucks her head down and slowly leers at him over the top of her sunglasses, then yes... she's probably sending an invitation. And she's probably making eye contact that is much longer in duration than what is needed to let a Bad Guy who is sizing up the sheep know that he's been spotted.

I could be mistaken but I thought the original poster was referring to situations when you see that someone is actually "eyeballing" you. Observing you with some kind of scrutiny and focused on you. Maybe he's trying to decide if you are a victim or maybe he's daydreaming.

Predators tend to study their prey. From his perspective, just because a woman looks around doesn't mean she is actually seeing the danger that he presents. Once you lock eyes with him, if only for 1 or 2 seconds, he knows you see him and you now know he's there watching you. That is probably all it is going to take for him to move on to some other potential prey and leave you alone. For you to notice him at all means his cover is blown. Why pick someone who sees him (who can potentially cause him problems) over someone who is totally oblivious to what is going on?

I don't know... Am I missing something here?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I think you are right. If a guy appears to be looking for prey or studying someone that way, then sure, some action has to be taken in the way of letting him know that he should really move on.
    You know that he is there, is the message you are giving him.
    I was talking about where the guy is just harmlessly looking around the way we all do. We say we avoid eye contact but we really don't do that at all except after we have looked around. The other guy may look over at us and decide that WE are the ones sizing HIM up, so it gets a little unnecessarily combative, is what I am saying, when people are just looking around. Their alternative is to stare at their shoes like a little kid does.
    Just someone looking at us does not mean we should start taking protective measures. I don't think everyone is our potential enemy. I think that the numbers of bad guys walking the streets are higher than ever before in United States history, but I still don't see just a look as all that meaningful. Some did, and that was why I was surprised, that it would take that little of a thing to trigger this big defensive sweep mechanism out of proportion to someone looking around.

Not everyone is a bad guy because they are looking at you or around the store or wherever. There are enough real bad guys out there without us thinking that every stranger poses this huge threat. I think it is out of proportion to reality, to think that way. Like we walk into a store thinking okay, that guy over there is looking at me. Got to go into higher level of defensive thinking. He may be looking, wondering if he knows you or you remind him of someone. And what are you doing looking at HIM? You now have him wondering what is going on til both are ready to step out in the street? I just thought that the reaction to mere looking is out of proportion, and I think I am right, with a lot of folks.

A one sentence summary is this: That we are way too quick to see someone looking at us as a real threat of some kind when all he may be doing is just looking around same as we were just doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    A one sentence summary is this: That we are way too quick to see someone looking at us as a real threat of some kind when all he may be doing is just looking around same as we were just doing.
    There's that fine line between caution and paranoia once again....
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

I'm sure most of us have the "I'm not a victim look" and most guys look eye to eye! When I walk in a room I size up everyone in there and try to make eye contact if their looking!
    I don't trust someone that won't look me in the eye!

My sister asks me " why do you look so mean all the time" at the time we were out of town, wrong side of the neighborhood walking through a Ryan's trying to get a seat! I was not in a real playful mood but I was more into sizing up my situation. I have had stare downs with other CCW This guy kept scanning the room and our eyes met on 3 or 4 looks until I saw him adjust his gun He still had the OMG I have a gun look.

We walk, talk and carry ourselves in a less ish way!!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I guess it's different in different places where we go etc all depends who is there and it varies a lot. Always pays to know who is around, though, that is for sure.

Regarding a previous post about kids feeling dissed these days by an innocent stare and we should be careful not to do that, I am not so sure about that. If a kid wants to escalate it because he feels dissed, that is completely up to him and he has the absolute freedom to keep escalating it if he likes. But I am not going to turn away and stare at my shoes because some young kid is offended by a mere look. Sorrrrrryyyyyyyyyy....Mr Ruger completely agrees with me.
    This is much different than someone looking at us. Now we are talking about a kid who insists that we don't even look at him or else? Come on, now.
    In this situation it is completely different because the kid is already on high alert just by being alive, and is actually looking for problems, as so many of them are. So I am not about to play the sheep part with that type.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Regarding a previous post about kids feeling dissed these days by an innocent stare and we should be careful not to do that, I am not so sure about that. If a kid wants to escalate it because he feels dissed, that is completely up to him and he has the absolute freedom to keep escalating it if he likes. But I am not going to turn away and stare at my shoes because some young kid is offended by a mere look. Sorrrrrryyyyyyyyyy....Mr Ruger completely agrees with me.
    This is much different than someone looking at us. Now we are talking about a kid who insists that we don't even look at him or else? Come on, now.
    In this situation it is completely different because the kid is already on high alert just by being alive, and is actually looking for problems, as so many of them are. So I am not about to play the sheep part with that type.
    Those aren't kids... A lot of those folks are blood thirsty killers. Gang bangers looking to start a potentially lethal confrontation right from the get go! MS-13, Latin Kings or whatever the flavor of the month club may be.

You gotta watch those kind of situations! But I'm with you all the way on that! I ain't gonna stare at my feet and be some sort of sheep either.

Sure, I'll explain that I wasn't intending any disrespect, or that I was looking at something else and try my best to defuse the situation, but if they can't let it go then it's Game On!

It may be my last act on earth but one things for sure... My response won't be what they expected! And I intend to WIN!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Exactly, and I only called them kids because they are, although they think they are Bruce Willis.
    These people are in a completely different category. Before, we were talking about regular people coming into a, say, convenience store, not meaning anything by looking around or at you or at me.
    But with these young thugs, they see it a little differently. They are just waiting to be able to have some excuse to explode, as their fuses are permanently lit,and they have about an inch to go. They demand respect but they give none. They don't care about you or your life. They only care about one thing, themselves. They are actually on the hunt for trouble, any kind, anywhere, any time.
    These are truly dangerous people. Our country is overrun by them. You think the coyote problem is bad? These are human coyotes and the problems they cause are much worse. We are speaking of young thugs now.
    They will get respect when they deserve it and not until. Our country is making a huge mistake by not addressing this rapidly growing population of thugs. They are the number one reason why we live in the defensive posture that we live in.
    My philosophy with them is this. To not antagonize them on purpose, but if they feel antagonized, then they can always ratchet it up a bit. In Mass it is legal to carry another kind of weapon besides a gun, as long as you have a Mass. License to Carry Firearms, so, at age 61, I carry it, and it is for the situations where someone wants to fight and I don't. I was in the Marines at age 17 in 1963 but those days are long gone :). Now I am somewhat saddened by the fact that here it is an enhanced punishment crime to be guilty of assault and battery on a person aged 60 or over. Makes me feel old.
    But, the fact remains that these punks have sooner or later got to realize that there are other people in the world besides themselves.
    I don't mind being the one they call on to learn that lesson, if need be.
    These kinds of folks are totally and completely different from the eyeball incidents we discussed earlier.
    Think of LA, where if you turn down the wrong street, they will open fire on you. Those types and the lesser thugs in your own neighborhood whereever you go. End of sermon. As I step down off my soapbox now, I feel better :)

I was taught you don't start fighting tired!! EXPLODE!!
    I just want to be left alone.
    If your not going to leave me alone,please don't make me choose which one of us lives.

That's what there doing these days, random senseless violence!
    Violence plays a part in life, but Men have always had honor(somewhat). These animals don't think twice!
    I don't understand how people live in Chicago,NY , the large cities.

Our politics,safety, way of life is protected(somewhat) by this thing we call Nuke subs, B-52, Carriers...etc extreme violence!!
    We are a Kinder and Gentler nation. You can't just go throwing violence around everywhere, bad things happen when violence is used in the wrong place. As long as man walks this planet there will be violence, all you can do is prepare for your meeting and hope your violence is better then his(or hers,bear,panther, or Zombie)!!!
    Good luck!

In the old days, or what we call the old days, criminal types did their thing, as they have since time immemorial. In ancient Rome, you could not step out at night because of robberies, everywhere, you literally could not leave your residence at night.
    In medieval London, same thing, with "footpads" on the prowl and in the daytime on the highways all over the place.
    BUT, these little savages nowadays are not content with just taking property. They also want to hurt people, needlessly. They have no idea what they will do next because they are like an out of control rabid raccoon in the woods.
    If they themselves have no idea what they will do next, how can we? This is what makes them very dangerous. But as a society, we are not dealing with these people. And numerically there are more than ever before in our country's entire history, by far. And still we do nothing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links