Are you eye balling me?

This is a discussion on Are you eye balling me? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sheepdog Lots of good input here. I just wanted to add that I have been to a LOT of aggravated assaults and ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Are you eye balling me?

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Lots of good input here. I just wanted to add that I have been to a LOT of aggravated assaults and know of a couple of murders that, according to a surviving party, all started because "He was mad dogging me, man...".
    Yup!

A lot of people are caught by surprised and frozen by fear or are dumbfounded by the rage they encounter by a truly hardened gang banger who flips out because someone "dissed them" with nothing more than a cross-eyed look. Hell they may not even know what "dissing someone" means...

You may live your entire life totally isolated from the streets and street life. Work in a factory or office, car pool, live in the burbs, etc, etc...

But if you don't know the enemy, what they are capable of, what makes them tic, you may not survive the encounter.

I may be infinitely more intelligent, educated, affluent then my opponent but that doesn't mean I can't be killed by someone I may consider to be a stupid person.

Never underestimate your opponent!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I live and grew up in the south where people still look at and acknowledged other people including strangers. I now live in the Raleigh area and because there is such a high concentrations of outsiders (northerners, no offense implied just the facts) living here now, the common courtesies are not so common anymore. If I catch an individual eyeballing me, he better have a good reason, and if I nod or say something to him he better respond or we have a problem. I will never be a lamb, sheep or coward. I am not easily intimidated. I am not looking for trouble and will walk away from it if I can, but I will not back down when pushed or confronted. Remember a wolf will look for easy prey first, and that’s just not me. I think most punks are just that "punks" and if you stand up to them and let them know you are not intimidated they will go on their way and bug someone else to get their jollies. "Be polite, and friendly, but have a plan to deal with everyone you meet"
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    Eyeballing someone may just be as simple as someone thinking they recognize the person or think they know them from somewhere. Locking eyes is something a bit different.Nature is full of animals that view direct eye contact as an act of aggression or a challenge. Best to avoid direct eye contact with strangers, but scan and remain aware of whats what.
    Well said!
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I agree down south this everyday life, but in some parts of the country people look at you like your are a idiot for talking to a stranger. Sad but true. I am always aware of my surroundings, not paranoid, not planning the what if, but I like to be very aware of who's around me and what they are doing, if that ivolves conversation great, if not I'm okay with that too.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Look all you want, just don't touch.
    to quote one of the other post, "I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop..and I'm out of doughnuts so they won't come unless I'm speeding!"

I smile and nod. I am not a nice guy and I am not friendly. I am just trying to get through the day without the bang bang. They seem to know.

Good post,

I always look at people, and if they are looking at me I nod with a smile as to say "how you doing"?. You can learn alot from their response.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Yep.

Nice thread. I went to a gun show recently and, just navigating the crowded aisles, happened to lock eyes with two middle-aged guys approaching me together. I nodded and gave them a quick smile, just acknowledging the eyeball lock, and instantly caught a small, momentary smirk of contempt on the face of one as he ignored me and turned to his cohort to say something. It was enough of a dissonance with the day that I stopped and stared after them for a few seconds, to see what caught their interest - what was their body language together, etc. I'm pretty sure they were BATF or some other goons/wanna be goons.

Context is always important. 99.9 percent of the people I met that day were polite to the point of being almost obsequious. Accidentally make brief body contact with anyone, and both of us would bend over backwards saying "excuse me." So when you run into two guys who have an expression of utter contempt on their faces, coupled with some vague air of superiority, well - I connected the dots.

I think next time that happens to me, I'm going to be prepared and stop them at once and deliberately engage them in some small talk, ask if I know them from somewhere, or something like that, just to pursue my theory a bit further.

"An armed society is a polite society."

Those who would disarm us so that only they had guns are the worst specimens on the planet.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links