A severe beat down

This is a discussion on A severe beat down within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Krmnnghia ... but I have a family and they are my priority. If that is your priority, keep it in mind at ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A severe beat down

Quote Originally Posted by Krmnnghia View Post
    ... but I have a family and they are my priority.
    If that is your priority, keep it in mind at all times.

My concern really was what in the hell can I do to protect myself. I was blocked in on all sides and no one was moving.
    That is very often under your control. When driving, pick an outer lane and be sure to leave maneuvering room between you and the car in front of you. It won't always ensure you've got an "out," but it often will.

If you were armed would you help the punk?
    No. Junkyard dogfights aren't my thing. My safety and my family's safety comes first.

Would you get out of your car and be ready to bolt from the area if a gun was pulled.
    I would almost certainly NOT exit the car. First and foremost, the combatants might well see me as a new combatant coming over to "play." Pass, on that. Being inside the car affords (a) protection and (b) mobility. If you're driving in an "edge" lane, then you can punch the gas and force your way out of a bad situation, though if stuck inside a moving pile of cars you're not able to do much at all.

... an officer ... never even looked up ... drove right past the incident.
    That's pretty bad. But then, junkyard dogfights are what they are. In a place that gets a dozen a day, at some point, you either pony up the resources or you ignore much of it. I don't agree with law enforcement ignoring any of it, but reality bites sometimes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I would sit there with the car in gear, doors locked, ready to "hit and run" if they came a knocking. 911 on cell, write down plates and BG descriptions.

glad all turned out ok for you.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member

Nanny State is a Dangerous Place

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    My two cents..

....I'm reminded of the parable of the "Good Samaritan".....The traveler instead did the right thing and tended to the beaten and bruised man. He carried him to an Inn and paid for several days stay so that the man could heal and recuperate. He even went to the Inn keeper and told him that if the man needed more time than he had paid for, that he would return in a few days to square things up and make it right.

The traveler chose to be part of the solution rather thantake the easy way out by just walking past the man and ignoring him. By doing so, he advanced humanity just a tiny little bit, rather than hindering it as others did by choosing not to act.

We all have to make a conscious decision at some point in our lives to either be part of the part of solution....

or we can do nothing and be part of the problem.

Its no different today, than it was a couple of thousand years ago.
    Hotguns, one big difference is the free emergency room care for which all of us working and contributing members of society pay. In that sense, as inheritors and participants in our Judeo-Christian society, we are de facto Good Samaritans.
    And my solution to Krmnnghia's threat scenario is to be a good witness but not to be part of the problem by safely removing myself from the threat. My martial arts training is to avoid a fight or get out of it as quickly as possible. I don't act to defend another unless I know them well enough to know the situation. That's my strategy.
    People have to know the risks of their own lifestyles and "hoods". Last month, during a walk to the store, I noticed a guy walking down the turn lane in the middle of a four lane. An SUV turns in front of him across two lanes onto the grass to a fence at a Walgreen's. He walks over to the passenger side, opens the door and starts repeatedly slapping the female driver. I figure out he came from another SUV (at the red light) from which emergerd another guy, who comes to defend the female. By the time he makes it to the grass, the female is defending her assailant against the new guy. I'm not making this up! It ended with the new guy chasing the girl-slapper with a tire iron around the outiside of the store. By the time I finished shopping, everyone was gone - probably to watch a nice movie or something.
    I mildly regret that I didn't note license plates, but the dialog was not memorable.

Senior Moderator
    In that sense, as inheritors and participants in our Judeo-Christian society, we are de facto Good Samaritans.
    Hmmmm ....O.K. So you are a de facto good Samaritan.
    I'll try to remember that when you are watching me getting my tail kicked.

I'm sure just knowing that will make me feel better...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Had to jump in with this:

‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ (or words to that effect)
    Edmund Burke

With that said I would also add: look before you leap and think before you act--

If my history is correct back in the old days (1776) it was one's duty to "come to arms" and "sound the alarm" - How things have changed-

I would add that you should not join in the fight unless complied to do so-- If your heart is not in it they you are probably going to get hurt- In that case be a good witness and call PD-
    +1 for adive and making sure you have a way to drive out of the incident

PS
    I would also like to add that I am learning a lot on this new forum and it's a good thing
    K.Paul
    Semper Fi

different thread, same ol' conversation.

camera phone....

OC....

reasonable tones of voice to the effect that 911 has been contacted and direct the attention of the combatants to the non-attentive donut-man.

as to the bank robbery scenario? ludicrous. you walk into a bank, and an undercover officer just stopped some uppity robber, the demeanor of the tellers/customers/bystanders/witnesses is gonna fill anyone with half a clue into whether somethings going down, or fizzling out. this whole argument of "you may misinterpret events" is a lame deflection, imho. in the case of the thugs, hey, i'm gonna try to calm things down. if the aggressor continues with lifethreatening/serious injury pending actions, then he is NOT a Good Guy, period. i dont care if he's an off duty LEO. he's committing felonious assault and refusing to stop. if he makes the mistake of putting me on his list of victims for that day, he's made a very bad life choice. i dont care what witnesses say. i seriously doubt there will be any bad witnesses with any legitimancy. my character, background, reputation, and most peoples lack thereof will make a great pedestal to pizz off of. ultimately, my argument is, if the bike rider was a friend or even acquaintance of mine, even one with a penchance for trouble, i'd be ashamed of my race if THAT many people allowed an event to go on long enough to kill or vegetize him/her.

but hey, i respect peoples right to choose to live in a box. i remember kids when i was little that would hide in clothes baskets or old cardboard boxes. it made the bullys leave them alone. at least, until they had to come out...

signed,

sick of hearing people try to scare others into ignoring their still small voices. just try to do the right thing. eventually, everyone believes in kharma.

"Hotguns, one big difference is the free emergency room care for which all of us working and contributing members of society pay. In that sense, as inheritors and participants in our Judeo-Christian society, we are de facto Good Samaritans."
    I am sorry, but just because your are a taxpayer does not make you a de facto Good Samaritan. I believe there is more implied in that parable than that. But then again I guess there are different takes on religion too. After all this is a free country.

Does this scenario change any if it takes place in a nice upscale part of town and it includes a little old lady, or young girl, or someone in a wheel chair, a man with a cane or walker getting the snot beat out of them?

BTW, Hotguns, if I see you getting your tail handed to you, I'll pull over and help.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    BTW, Hotguns, if I see you getting your tail handed to you, I'll pull over and help.
    Thankyou for that Farronwolf..

That would be of more use to me than the fact that you are helping pay for my "free" emergency room care in some way or another

My wife, kids and grandchildren thank you also.
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 17th, 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sorry briansmech, for the scenario. I guess it could never and never has happened that way, the bank robber incident. We always know, without exception, the GG from the BG :)
    Last edited by dcb188; May 17th, 2008 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typos
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Not sure why everyone wants to take down the "bank robber". Do people not realize this is the job of the FBI and $$$'s are federally insured? The motive of the bank robber is to score easy quick money with as little effort as possible. Not there to shoot up the bank and attract the Popo!

Quote Originally Posted by hinkleid View Post
    The motive of the bank robber is to score easy quick money with as little effort as possible. Not there to shoot up the bank and attract the Popo!
    Who's to say? It must vary, as not all such crimes are victim-free.

Simply do a Google search for <"bank robbery" "people were shot"> and you'll find a number of such bank robberies, many of which were situations where ostensibly nobody needed to get shot.

Not sure why everyone wants to take down the "bank robber".
    The motivation should be clear: to keep from getting harmed. The money may be insured, but I've only got one life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    We already ARE involved, by living in such a animalistic society........
    You did not cause these problems that have been going on since the 1960s.
    From what I've read the violent crime rate in the us has been pretty much the same for well over a hundred years. We now just know more about it thanks to the the media and books and stuff.

There was a spike in the crime rate in the late 60's - 70's partially due to a reduction in the # of cops/capita, reduction in sentences, longer processing time in courts and a bulge in baby boomers hitting prime crime years, implementation of citizen rights. A commensurate reduction resulted from re-adjustments by the 90s.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

The number of criminals is way up from years ago, as the population grows, so does the criminal element. Not the rate but the number of criminals on the streets.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Why do you assume that everyone has a cell phone????
    Bignob Naples, FL
    NRA Member

Agreed. We should stay out of all confrontations.(?)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links