A severe beat down - Page 4

A severe beat down

This is a discussion on A severe beat down within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Agreed. We should stay out of all confrontations. Sounds good in theory. Dont always happen that way though....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Moderator
    Agreed. We should stay out of all confrontations.
    Sounds good in theory.

Dont always happen that way though.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I know; that was very very much tongue in cheek to a poster who suggested we should not try to stop bank robbers :) Said that was the FBI's job which is great if the FBI is in the bank with me and the robber.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I know; that was very very much tongue in cheek to a poster who suggested we should not try to stop bank robbers :) Said that was the FBI's job which is great if the FBI is in the bank with me and the robber.
    For the sake of argument, what SHOULD one do given this scenario. You are at your local bank cashing your paycheck, tired and impatient waiting in a long line.

Two jokers in masks enter demanding the clerks fill a sack. They are both wielding handguns and order everyone down. They have not fired there weapons, but are acting aggressively yelling ordering the customers down and the clerks to fill the bags.

You are there armed (but they do not know this). What do you do?

Let the robbery proceed?
    Draw on them and go down blazing?
    Draw and order them to drop weapons and alert authorities?

Unless they fire or hurt someone, this is the job of the FBI to sort out. Of course, if they start shooting because the robbery was botched or on the way out, you have to fight back.

This was discussed in a previous thread, where the consensus was that we would, or a lot of us, rather, would not do anything unless and until the robber(s) herded people into the back or had everyone lie down on the floor as if in preparation for execution. Until and unless that happened, the majority said they would not do anything and I agreed then and still do. Let them take the money and run, but if they start herding or ordering to lie down, I would not wait for them to fire or to hurt someone. This was not just my opinion but the opinion of a lot of folks. I think Grady began the thread and it is still on there somewhere. Same scenario, what would you do if you were in a bank and your wife was with you etc.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

On this same forum, see the thread My Bank Was Robbed..... same scenario or really close to it.
    I know that this thread here was not originally a bank robbery scenario but one crept into it.
    In the case of two or more robbers my own reaction would be a lot different. But still, I cannot be herded into a back room. One or both of them would have to be popped at that point because once you are on the floor you have these people standing over you and you have no chance then.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    On this same forum, see the thread My Bank Was Robbed..... same scenario or really close to it.
    I know that this thread here was not originally a bank robbery scenario but one crept into it.
    In the case of two or more robbers my own reaction would be a lot different. But still, I cannot be herded into a back room. One or both of them would have to be popped at that point because once you are on the floor you have these people standing over you and you have no chance then.
    Thanks for the input. Makes much sense. If there is 1 much different than 2 or more. With 1 you have the element of surprise and can the drop on them if you choose to go that route.

I myself have never been around an armed bank robbery. Isnt ordering the customers to lie down one of the first things done? I do believe though that the majority of robberies SPEED is what is most on their mind.
    Now, the police show up and turns into a hostage situation, then most likely things could get really bad quickly.
    Thanks for the post about the other thread. Will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krmnnghia View Post
    Sorry I haven't been able to respond at all...been working on my car all night. I did attempt to call 911 but my phone is so damn small I fumbled the numbers a couple times. As I was fumbling the traffic opened up and the 2 guys in the truck in front of me were intervening so I decided not to stick around. I am smaller than the guy giving the beat down and I seriously have no formal training on defending myself. I would have been walking into a beating myself. This being one of the worst parts of Lansing you have no idea if thug #1 has 3 buddies in the area that will see you, pull over and proceed to knife you or whatever.
    Since you were by yourself, unarmed, no self-defense training, and not physically a match for the thug---you did the right thing under the circumstances.

Windows up, doors locked, and call 911 was the best way to handle it. Even if you had decided to intervene, you ALWAYS call the cops first, to make sure they're on their way. Because they might have to end up saving YOU.

The "Good Samaritan" story from the Bible doesn't apply here, because the Samaritan didn't come upon the injured man until the perps were long gone. He wasn't placing his life on the line to help, like you would've been if you had chosen to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Since you were by yourself, unarmed, no self-defense training, and not physically a match for the thug---you did the right thing under the circumstances.

Windows up, doors locked, and call 911 was the best way to handle it. Even if you had decided to intervene, you ALWAYS call the cops first, to make sure they're on their way. Because they might have to end up saving YOU.

The "Good Samaritan" story from the Bible doesn't apply here, because the Samaritan didn't come upon the injured man until the perps were long gone. He wasn't placing his life on the line to help, like you would've been if you had chosen to intervene.
    Good point! Welcome to the forum
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I can respect that. No sense getting your tail handed to you.

It may be that the good Samaritan was a 90 pound weakling born with a silver spoon in his mouth that had never had to face any kind of real threat. He may have stood from afar and watched what went down. Who knows?

At least he didn't ride off on his camel and not do anything.

He did what he could do and didnt ignore the situation.That I respect even more.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One advantage to riding a motorcycle. You are never boxed in. Not to mention having a good reason to be wearing full body armour, helmet, heavy duty boots and gloves :D Not that it makes you superman, any more than carrying a weapon does, but it certainly helps expand your options.

On the negative side, very hard to use a cell phone.

More on topic...if I was by myself, I wouldn't have directly interefered. However, if I was riding with my buddies, action would have been taken. Also, when the two guys from the truck in front got involved, I would have also got involved since I would no longer be acting solo.

That goes for whether I am carrying or not.

VIP Member

"Dis is dis"

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Agreed, Defensive. Until our legal eagles my chime in to clarify, the law makes a distinction between "Good Samaritan" (protecting the well-meaning who may inadvertently cause some injury) and "Duty to Rescue" (which, in cases like witnessing a beating, is limited to dialing 911). This DefensiveCarry Forum doesn't imply to me any extra duty.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I can respect that. No sense getting your tail handed to you.
    Or ending up in the hospital or morgue.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It may be that the good Samaritan was a 90 pound weakling born with a silver spoon in his mouth that had never had to face any kind of real threat. He may have stood from afar and watched what went down. Who knows? At least he didn't ride off on his camel and not do anything. He did what he could do and didnt ignore the situation. That I respect even more.
    When that particular incident occurred a few thousand years ago, there were no police forces, rescue squads, 911 services and cellphones.

In this day and age and in this particular situation, the right thing to do would be to call 911 and tell them you need the police ASAP.

Whether one chooses to intervene or not intervene, you still call the police FIRST, before you do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No. Junkyard dogfights aren't my thing.

I don't agree with law enforcement ignoring any of it, but reality bites sometimes.
    Pretty much sums it up. Rarely will one find "innocent" victims selected in the manner described.

A happy thought: the OP described being forced to go slowly through the neighborhood. Does anyone really think homeboy's (whichever homie you drew down on) friends wouldn't note your plate and either follow you, or call their cousin who works dispatch for an address?

A time and place... If one's ability to read people is impaired (determine whether Darwin is collecting his due or not), one should really get some experience. Do ride alongs with Patrol or EMS, if nothing else.

I would have called 911 the minute I saw the guy getting smacked down... I don't understand why people would want to be around to see that sort of thing because they could be in the line of fire if their were guns involves but I guess it's not surprising when common sense is not all that common these days.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links