A severe beat down

This is a discussion on A severe beat down within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; An incident happened yesterday that really made me think about scenarios and why we have this section of the forum...For the record I do not ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59

Thread: A severe beat down

  1. #1
    Member Array Krmnnghia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    85

    A severe beat down

    An incident happened yesterday that really made me think about scenarios and why we have this section of the forum...For the record I do not carry yet...my paperwork is still being processed.

    Around 4pm I leave work and hit a side street that lets out onto MLK Jr BLVD. (This is a VERY bad part of the city as it is in almost every city. We have knifings, armed robberies, rapes, carjackings you name it. This would be the reason I will be carrying soon.) MLK is a 4 lane 45mph street with a center turn lane. I pull across the street to the far lane and am blocked in on all sides by traffic waiting for the light to change.

    Out of nowhere a car pulls up into the parking lot to my right and almost hits some punk on his bike. The punk stops and says something that did not look like "Howdy Sir" to the thug in the car. The thug jumps out of the car which is stopped halfway in traffic blocking me and runs to the guy on the bike. They are 5 feet from my car. The thug grabs this punks jacket and pulls him from his bike, sweeps his leg and slams his head into the concrete. Instantly my mind is trying to figure out how to remove myself from the area. I honk multiple times but the cars in front of me will not move as they want to watch the fight. Meanwhile the thug is picking the punk up a foot off the ground and slamming his head into the concrete multiple times. It was a miracle this kid was still alert.

    As far as I was concerned this thug was going to kill this punk if he kept slamming his head into the pavement. Now had I been armed I could have(lawfully) jumped out and attempted to get the thug to back off and wait for the police to arrive but I have a family and they are my priority. My concern really was what in the hell can I do to protect myself. I was blocked in on all sides and no one was moving. A gun could be pulled at any minute and I would be right in the line of fire. I decided to wait it out and drive off when I got the chance. Luckily 2 guys in the truck in front of me got out and were twice the size of the thug. They pulled him off and told him to get the hell out of there. 30 seconds later I was able to pull away but they were all still arguing.

    If you were armed would you help the punk? Would you get out of your car and be ready to bolt from the area if a gun was pulled.


    *Here is the kicker...as I move away from the area an officer is driving towards the incident and I honk a few times to get his attention...he never even looked up from whatever he was doing in his lap/seat. He drove right past the incident.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,196
    The help I would have done was call 911 for him. There may be more to the story than what you saw. This could be an ongoing feud. I also woould not have honked my horn. Too many crazys in the world who might have taken offense to that and decided they had a problem with you now.
    Anytime I am in a area where things could esculate I unholster and keep my gun in a position where I can get to it immediately, without having to undo seatbelts or struggle with clothing to get to it.

  4. #3
    Member Array Erik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    415
    I wouldn't watch someone receiving what you described. But that's me.
    God, country, family.

  5. #4
    Member Array Krmnnghia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    85
    Yah the honking was just pure frustration for the idiots around me that did not have the brains to leave the area. I guess thinking about it the thug could have turned and came for me thinking I was also pissed at him.

  6. #5
    Member Array 45MINK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    CINCY,OHIO
    Posts
    283
    Why didn't you just call 911 instead of trying to get out of there ??? you could've gave a description then drove away . I could be looking at this wrong but why were you trying to get out of there ? you weren't in any danger at that time ??????

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Leave your vehicle and exit in an opposite direction toward hard cover with out haste.

    If you were say in Tikrit or Columbia or Rio and your vehicle were immobilized during a local skirmish even as it had no direct tie to you, would you sit in your vehicle honking the horn? Nope.
    Same rules apply here in America.
    Leave your vehicle, lock it behind you via the key fob, and get to hard cover if not concealment.
    From there then get on the radio (cell phone) to call in security forces aka the po-po. While awaiting their arrival observe, assess the situation, and act/react as you deem advisable be it to save the innocent or to conserve your own skin.

    As to leaving your vehicle, so what?
    It's insured if someone decides to play bumper cars with it and parts are cheap, far cheaper than human parts and body repair.
    Also if and when things settle down it's easy enough to walk back to your ride and remove yourself after the dust has settled.

    No way I'm going to sit in a vehicle and expose myself to fire, if I have the opportunity to otherwise escape.
    The car is not made of gold and even if it were it's not more valuable than my own well being and that of my family who depends on me.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,768
    Call police from your car give them a description and license plate number. There is no reason to exit the vehicle because someone is being beaten on at the sidewalk. As for honking your horn, apparently it didn't do any good, but whether you did or didn't is really a non issue.

    As for helping the guy, it would make no difference if I was armed or not. I have stepped in on situations like this before I started carrying, so there is no reason to act any different now that I do. Most punks are not going to take chances with someone who possibly posses a threat to them. Kinda like a wild animal, most cats, wolves, or other predators will leave a situation if it looks as though they are at risk of serious injury, as long as they can flee.

    If a gun is presented. I would rather be in my vehicle than running in the open not knowing which way to go, or which way shots would be fired if that came to pass. If the thug did pull a gun while the guy was on the ground and proceeded to act like he was going to shoot him after beating the crap out of him. Well our actions are going to depend greatly on where we live what the laws are and what our own consciences can live with.

    If I was that close, I am praying that I am faster and a better shot than the thug standing over the guy he just beat the crap out of.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  9. #8
    Member Array micahsrad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    43

    Good call Erik

    I agree with Erik. No way i could watch as a guy bounced another guys head off of the pavement.

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    Farron,

    The question as stated by the OP was; "If you were armed would you help the punk? Would you get out of your car and be ready to bolt from the area if a gun was pulled."

    By that and his proposal of what if I then suggest bolt and leave the vehicle.

    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Krmnnghia View Post
    Out of nowhere a car pulls up into the parking lot to my right and almost hits some punk on his bike. The punk stops and says something that did not look like "Howdy Sir" to the thug in the car. The thug jumps out of the car which is stopped halfway in traffic blocking me and runs to the guy on the bike. They are 5 feet from my car. The thug grabs this punks jacket and pulls him from his bike, sweeps his leg and slams his head into the concrete. Instantly my mind is trying to figure out how to remove myself from the area. I honk multiple times but the cars in front of me will not move as they want to watch the fight. Meanwhile the thug is picking the punk up a foot off the ground and slamming his head into the concrete multiple times. It was a miracle this kid was still alert.

    As far as I was concerned this thug was going to kill this punk if he kept slamming his head into the pavement. Now had I been armed I could have(lawfully) jumped out and attempted to get the thug to back off and wait for the police to arrive but I have a family and they are my priority. My concern really was what in the hell can I do to protect myself. I was blocked in on all sides and no one was moving. A gun could be pulled at any minute and I would be right in the line of fire. I decided to wait it out and drive off when I got the chance. Luckily 2 guys in the truck in front of me got out and were twice the size of the thug. They pulled him off and told him to get the hell out of there. 30 seconds later I was able to pull away but they were all still arguing.

    If you were armed would you help the punk? Would you get out of your car and be ready to bolt from the area if a gun was pulled.


    *Here is the kicker...as I move away from the area an officer is driving towards the incident and I honk a few times to get his attention...he never even looked up from whatever he was doing in his lap/seat. He drove right past the incident.
    Um...yeah.

    You are aware that this is a "hood-rat" matter and outsiders interfering are always in the wrong.

    Had you used force to defend hood-rat #1, remember their would be no witnesses who saw anything other than you hurt someone, and they would have heard you drop the "N-Bomb" as you injured this guy after he told you he didn't have any crack and you went into a rage.

    It isn't your problem.

    If people in a bad part of town unrelated to you want to kill each other, more power to them.

    Save yourself from injury, death, blood borne pathogen exposure and lawsuits (hood-rats have lawyers, and while if you got injured suing one of them would be pointless, if you injure them...$$$$$$$...Oh baby...they will milk that for all it is worth...).

    Do not get involved.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    We already ARE involved, by living in such a animalistic society.

    Now, the guy on the bike, why is he a punk just because he verbally made it known that it was not very nice that someone almost hit him with their vehicle?
    Now, no disrespect to my fellow attorney MitchellCT but this is why we are where we are today as a society. Do Not Get Involved. And we sure don't. And it is so bad that even our government does not get involved in studying or stopping this random violence. And we are no longer shocked by it.
    The original poster cannot say that he was really and truly shocked by this, having seen this day in and day out on TV and the news since we could walk.
    But doing nothing is the key. Because of fear. We are afraid to do the right thing because of what might happen. Safer to watch someone being beaten to death. MitchellCT this is not your problem. You did not cause these problems that have been going on since the 1960s. But the Do Not Get Involved is just what we need to make sure we do not lose our downward momentum into a worse society than we already have.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array farronwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,768
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Save yourself from injury, death, blood borne pathogen exposure and lawsuits (hood-rats have lawyers, and while if you got injured suing one of them would be pointless, if you injure them...$$$$$$$...Oh baby...they will milk that for all it is worth...).
    Not if you live in Texas they won't. God you gotta love Texas.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    Texas is a different ballgame, thank goodness. Lived there, my dad was from Oklahoma, etc. Texas is how America used to be, when America had common sense.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  15. #14
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    Australia was settled by convicts from England. I was thinking, years and years ago, that maybe we should ship violent criminals to an island where there are no laws, no regulations, no jails and no cells. They can do to each other what they will, like they do here in this country anyway, but on this island it would neither be legal nor illegal as there are no laws. I had a name for it: A.......Island, and no one is allowed on it but violent criminals. No parole, no fees, no probation, none of that nonsense. Just live out their lives the way they want to without interference from us. I would vote for the candidate who would arrange something like this, and we could all use our guns for target practice and relax a little bit.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  16. #15
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    Now, the guy on the bike, why is he a punk just because he verbally made it known that it was not very nice that someone almost hit him with their vehicle?
    Now, no disrespect to my fellow attorney MitchellCT but this is why we are where we are today as a society. Do Not Get Involved. And we sure don't. And it is so bad that even our government does not get involved in studying or stopping this random violence. And we are no longer shocked by it.
    The original poster cannot say that he was really and truly shocked by this, having seen this day in and day out on TV and the news since we could walk.
    But doing nothing is the key. Because of fear. We are afraid to do the right thing because of what might happen. Safer to watch someone being beaten to death. MitchellCT this is not your problem. You did not cause these problems that have been going on since the 1960s. But the Do Not Get Involved is just what we need to make sure we do not lose our downward momentum into a worse society than we already have.
    No disrespect taken, we are having a difference of opinion.

    I have people in my life I'd die or kill for...but this guy, in this situation, he isn't one of them.

    I didn't create society's cesspool. I am not responsible for cleaning it all up.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Hassan's wounds - how severe? what caliber?
    By 1gunsnowbird in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: November 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
  2. I'd like to beat her with a bat too!
    By morintp in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: June 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM
  3. California Assembly to Consider Severe Restrictions on Ammunition Sales!
    By sniper58 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM
  4. NC residents: severe drought = no CCW
    By imatt in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM