Real-World Mall Scenarios to consider

This is a discussion on Real-World Mall Scenarios to consider within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe we are way past SHTF ... This article lists true (as reported) stories of 'just going to the mall.' Trouble can strike fast at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real-World Mall Scenarios to consider

Maybe we are way past SHTF ... This article lists true (as reported) stories of 'just going to the mall.'

Trouble can strike fast at South Florida malls -- -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

an excerpt:
    "
    Almost once a week, a shopper finds herself face-to-face with a bad guy at a South Florida mall. And in nearly one of four cases, he's got a gun.

Eileen Cobb had just parked at Coral Square Mall in Coral Springs when a robber hiding behind two cars surprised her.

Tiffany Acosta was with her 10-year-old daughter and talking on her cell phone when a young man pulled a gun on her in the parking lot at Pembroke Lakes Mall in Pembroke Pines.

Ashley Rose Young was seven months pregnant when two teens pulled her from her car, threw her to the ground and stole her purse at Town Center at Boca Raton.
    "
    And these are from people who lived to tell about it.

One of the links says it all:
    Mall security guards: "Their primary responsibility is to observe and report"

Mall security guards don't carry guns. They are trained to call police and protect themselves and shoppers by keeping a safe distance from criminals and violent situations

I ended up at a mall yesterday. They opened a Oakley Vault store...got 175.00 Oakely Assault boots for 75.00. My wife stood on my left side while I was trying 'em on so the sheep wouldn't see me printing.
    The crack security force there now has Segways...guess so they can observe and report that much quicker and not be out of breath by their fast walking to the crime scene.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

The "watering hole" has always been the prime spot to take down prey. Always will be.

The congregating point, choke point in the path, the watering hole ... each of these spots can be a good one. Think as a hunter, to what it means to patiently await opportunity at such spots. What do you do when going after deer? What about rabbits (ie, with snares)?

The mall, the downtown streets, the park, the lonely road where nobody can hear you scream ... these will always be the primary places where folks are at risk of being targeted.

Maybe we are way past SHTF
    IMO, nope. Not even close. Eliminate easy access to water, food and fuel for a few weeks, then you'll see chaos on a scale not seen this century. What we're seeing now are merely roving individuals and small bands preying on the weaker elements of the herd. We've not seen stampeding of the herd and switching of many to the dark side.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I only shop at malls protected by Gecko's ninjas. I feel much safer knowing that my mall security force is comprised of highly trained special operators carrying automatic weapons. :)
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

My wife and I always see women on cell phones walking to their cars...even my wife comments on that stupidity...

My eyes are moving all around in ANY parking lot...

These dirtbags preying on women and children deserve only to be 'lead magnents...PERIOD!

Stay armed...be cognizant, always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most sheeple have no situational awareness...on or off the phone...

I agree SoFlo... Like a child many of them are blissfully unaware. And then they make fun of those who are alert like they are paranoid, or something that they aren't - and then they cry about it when they are found by the villans in society.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Isn't it funny how there are signs by the entrances to the malls that say that weapons are not allowed, even lawfully concealed weapons? In response, I walk by with my two pistols with an extra mag for each, four knives, 3 flashlights and pepper spray. No, these are not weapons, these are my REAL mall security guards.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Isn't it funny how there are signs by the entrances to the malls that say that weapons are not allowed, even lawfully concealed weapons? In response, I walk by with my two pistols with an extra mag for each, four knives, 3 flashlights and pepper spray. No, these are not weapons, these are my REAL mall security guards.
    Why do you need more than one of each? The gun in particular.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Why do you need more than one of each? The gun in particular.

Not to derail the thread, but who are you to decide how many weapons a person should carry?

I'm not picking a fight, just trying to understand your reasoning. I carry three guns off duty. My Primary is IWB, the Secondary is in an OWB Holster on my weakside and the BUG is either in my pocket, if I'm wearing shorts, or on my ankle if I'm wearing long pants.

I have had to draw a second weapon before, as my strongarm was busy deflecting a blade. I took at look at the most common positions I am likely to find myself in and concluded that I needed three guns to be able to draw a weapon no matter what position I find myself in, or what hand I have available to draw.

I think we each have to assess our threat level and carry according to what we are "comfortable" with. I personally feel naked without at least two handguns on my person, but that's just me. I live in a "good" neighborhood, but learned a long time ago that the only relatively "safe place" I may find is my coffin, and I'm in no hurry to get there.

In short, THERE IS NO SAFE PLACE! There are places that for the moment "appear" safe, but there is truely no "safe place."

Biker

a place is only as safe as the most evil person in it - Will Wright - (me)
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The "watering hole" has always been the prime spot to take down prey.
    I think that's the general impression I also had, the pattern seems to be simple predation. Some are killed, some raped, some assaulted and robbed, but the pattern looked like "select the unaware individual who steps away from the herd."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but who are you to decide how many weapons a person should carry?
    I don't decide. I simply asked a question. A question, by the way, directed to someone else, not you.

Limas thread the case for weak side tools got me thinking. 2 guns, 4 knives, and 3 flashlights does seem like a little much to me, but I'm not bashing anyone. I just asked why.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    There was that mall shooting where an off duty cop managed to pin down the bag guy shooter until the police got there. The problem was, the cop didn't have enough ammo, so he couldn't take the bad guy by himself. Fortunately, backup wasn't to far away. That won't happen to me, no sir. Plus with mags being the primary cause of pistol malfunctions, I think it's just good policy to be able to fix the problem. The M&P has a mag safety on it also, so I would need to reload quickly or get the PPS if I could, if I had to drop the mag. BTW, the extra mag is a 20 rounder;-).
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

VIP Member
    Wow, fast reply thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links