Restaurant Hold Up

Restaurant Hold Up

This is a discussion on Restaurant Hold Up within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets say you and the sig other were out at a upscale rest, there are bout 60 other dinners there and 4 BG's walk in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant Hold Up

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Restaurant Hold Up

Lets say you and the sig other were out at a upscale rest, there are bout 60 other dinners there and 4 BG's walk in show their wepons and tell everyone to get on the floor. While 2 of the BG's stand guard 2 go table to table and demand purses and wallets and jewlery. You are armed (and for some maybe the sig other is armed) what would you do?
    I know for me my wedding band dosn't come very easiely at all and this may irritate a already amped up BG, and my wifes setup cost me 2 months salary, and it would be very hard to just give that away ya know. Just some food for thought.

Assistant Administrator
    Bruce - can't remember a link but IIRC we had something very much along these lines a few weeks or months ago - I'd need to go search but have to check that later.

Oh - think this was it - go take a peek and see if it is close enough

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=2572
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah I read that one, but that was one person going table to table not weilding his gun threatening everyone in the place. I think things would be diff if there were 4 BG's instead of 1.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahh OK - well, will give this one some thought.

One thing comes to mind tho as ever - I will not surrender my piece and neither will I willingly be a victim - same thing in some ways! But we do have a problem here!
    Chris - P95

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    Lets say you and the sig other were out at a upscale rest, there are bout 60 other dinners there and 4 BG's walk in show their wepons and tell everyone to get on the floor. While 2 of the BG's stand guard 2 go table to table and demand purses and wallets and jewlery. You are armed (and for some maybe the sig other is armed) what would you do?
    I know for me my wedding band dosn't come very easiely at all and this may irritate a already amped up BG, and my wifes setup cost me 2 months salary, and it would be very hard to just give that away ya know. Just some food for thought.
    Jewelry or life----the answer is simple to me.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    But like I said my ring dosn't come off without quite a bit of persuasion, no this may upset the BG, and I don't want him tring to cut my finger off to get the ring or shot me to get the ring ya know.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Tough tactical problem with 4 badguys, especially if they're organized that well, and I've only got six rounds in the revolver. Might have to try to recover one of the BGs' firearms. The previous thread only had one guy going from table to table.

However, as has been said on other threads, I'm not getting on the floor for anybody. I'd try not to be trapped in a booth when the balloon went up, and having everybody else in the place, including my wife, on their way to the floor should give me fairly clear fields of fire. This is one of those situations where everything will work out fine, or I won't care how it works out.

Something to think about is that there is more going on here than a simple robbery. If we let people get away with crimes simply because we are afraid to stand up to them, we deserve to live in the resulting society... which is what we're having to do now. If we lived in a society where it was known that criminal behavior would not be stood for, would be resisted by citizens even at some danger to themselves, we might not have as much crime.

Oh, I forgot... I'm not a cop.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    True enough, jewelry is replaceable, so is cash etc. If I am interpreting that answer the right way round - not sure!

I would like to know tho where the guarantee card is that says that not one of four armed BG's is NOT gonna shoot! Too many instances of rob AND shoot.

Maybe the show of guns is only wanted for intimidation - time may establish that but nervous BG's - probably ignoring rule #3 - might quickly get impatient. The odds to me would be that 4:1 odds are not good - that one of them at least is quite happy to start shooting - if one starts the others would probably join in.

The decision might be not ''if'' I shoot - but ''when''.

I will put up with loss of all but my life if necessary but also as has been mentioned - just how long do we keep letting BG's get away with it. Four armed (therefore lethal) threats are or should be enough in any court of law, to enable justification of shooting.

Biggest problem is the numbers - availability of cover, or not?. Has wife got carry and knows how to use - or not? Field of fire - safe or not? Any other CCW's in the house?

This one would require light-speed thinking and analysis - whether anyone would ''get it right'' - succeed or fail, is another matter entirely.
    Chris - P95

Bruce, butter up the ring!!

Unless they start shooting, or want to tie me up, I'll be a witness, and let my insurance company pay for the jewelry.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I think if it's me, I try to make sure as I go low (but not down) that the BG closest to me is in the rest's line of fire. I'm definitely going loud. My low position is better tactically since the forearm tends to get tense when it's holding something in a stress situation, so I would think this might send their rounds high to start with. The sheep are already on the floor and the BG's are all nicely silhouetted (sp?) standing up. If they're close enough, I go for head shots or high on the COM, more chance of ripping open the throat or hitting the aorta. In any case a really gory wound should stun the rest momentarily. I shoot, move to cover and shoot again. Move and shoot. Threat scan 360.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Best to surrender the money than try to take 4 BG's. I would also casually order a fine red wine. Afterall, being robbed is thirsty work.
    Last edited by QKShooter; October 24th, 2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: friendly typo correction :~)

I'm with tanksoldier on this one. Society cannot allow criminals to have free reign. Also, as said before, there is no guarantee that they won't shoot anyway. First time their attention is not on me, I would open fire from whatever position I was in, then seek cover as I continued firing. The innocents are on the ground and I have 15 rounds. Also, there is always the chance that another CCW'er may join in (although never something to count on when making your decisions).

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Best to surrender the money than try to take 4 BG's. I would also casually order a fine red wine. Afterall, being robbed is thirsty work.
    I would have to go with that- unless things seemed to be heating up. What you're descriibing is a "team", and would indicate some degree of loyalty. If the situation was escalating, threats, violence to hostages, etc., I might go for trying to take a hostage myself. Timing and opportunity, get your hands on one, however possible, and stick your pistol in his ear. Don't get between them and the door, use your hostage to move them towards the door (try to get them to break and run); if they try to flank you, well...

Sounds a little James Bond, but better than getting shot face down on the floor.

Administrator

Good Replies

Like every scenario is different...to some degree the exact reaction to any situation needs to be tailored to that exact event as it unfolds.

Without more specifics to base my answer on I'll say that I would get my wallet & the wifes purse up on the table.

I might possibly also hand my B.U.G. to my "better half" under the table. That would depend on ??? my gut feeling about it all.

My Self~Defensive handgun would very likely be unholstered & "at the ready" under the table.

If I feel that anything else is likely other than a grab some "stuff" and run then I'm grabbing First Advantage & I'm fighting.

Everytime I read a thread like this I have to ask myself a question... Are there more BGs outside in a vehicle? hidden outside as lookouts? who are diners and made a cellphone call to let the four know the coast is clear?

Even if you are James Bond and whack all four with your five shot snubbie, all head shots, none had the bullets bounce off, all doa... You still can have Big Problems.

If all they want is my stuff, then go for it. But if they make a killing move, who knows?

BTW, with 60 people in the restaurant, these guys are stupid, and there is no way they can execute all the witnesses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links