Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic? - Page 3

Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic?

This is a discussion on Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have used silence and ignoring a person to "kick it up a notch" a time or two in my job. One thing that people ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic?

I have used silence and ignoring a person to "kick it up a notch" a time or two in my job.

One thing that people can't stand is to be ignored or not responded to when they are doing something that they think should generate a respsonse. I used this to my advantage a few years ago with a Transient that was asking for blankets.

I totally ignored him, and didn't even look his direction when he spoke. I played deaf. It made the guy mad enough to do something stupid. His next "interaction" had him sitting in the back of a squad car.

No, it wasn't my squad car, and this happened outside my home. My neighbor watched the whole thing and was laughing his head off when I told him that I was "playing deaf", after being cussed out by this "first class example" of citizenship.

In general I think being silent is a bad idea. It can escalate a situation if you know how to do it "properly". It will also make it harder for you to locate "ear witnesses" for an investigation. For example, let's say you are forced to defend your life by shooting someone. One person claims to have heard someone shout, "Don't come any closer, I don't want any trouble!" Then they say they heard two gunshots. You are found by the Police to have a gun and two rounds exspended from that gun.

Your story is, "I was walking down the street when Joe Robber came up to me with a knife and demanded my wallet. Being that I was in fear of my life, and Joe Robber's inability to cease his threatening actions towards me neccessitated that I stop his attack in the most expiditious manner possible. I told him to STOP and he refused to do so, so I fired my weapon in his direction in hopes of stopping his attack.

Compare that to, "I was standing on the corner and I heard two gunshots. When I turned around to look I saw Bobby Citizen with a gun in his hand and Joe Robber lying three feet away bleeding from a wound(s) to his torso."

Communication is the key in my job, as it is in real life too. I think that staying silent is a poor tactic unless you are trying to instigate a response. There are times however when there is too much talking as well, but I'll save that for another thread.

I don't talk "smack" and I give short, clear and concise commands when needed.

Biker

Back in my Patch wearing days, on the rare occasions that I would have someone "feelin' their oats" so to speak, I found that regardless of what they said to try to provoke me, my turning to my SO at the time and asking "We got bail money?" and her replying "Yup." then just giving them the blank stare was more than effective at deflating their expectations and walking away.

There is a time and place for everything. So many different variables to consider, that your response to a situation will be based on your past experience and a quick evaluation of the current situation as to which response will be most effective at ending the confrontation in a manner that keeps you out of harms way.

Some situations and people will back down to the blank stare, some will back down to "Jump froggy", others will be committed to a course of actions and your only response will be a quick and decisive use of force.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

That is what I am seeing, that it varies tremendously and the "tactic" can help you or get you killed, and it won't be fun to experiment to find out.
    And it depends on the psychological makeup of the BG and the situation and what he is out to get, money? Hurt someone? Whole lot of variables.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    So it COULD be used effectively at least sometimes.
    Trouble is, you won't know when that would be. So, it's sort of moot. Hope for the best, sure, but plan for the worst, else you're going to try this sort of mushy two-step with the wrong BG.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's moot but people are just throwing in a bunch of very different circumstances just to throw them in, which is fine.
    I will let Mr Ruger decide the actual outcome of a situation. The BG calls it and Mr Ruger helps him out a little depending on BG's precise agenda.
    The bad guy actually decides his own longevity, not me.
    This thread was just a thought, as a lot of threads are. Way too iffy to bargain on, but it is just talk. And by talking? Other things come up in the process, so it is always helpful.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

VIP Member
    Silence can de-escalate and weed out situations where a punk is just being a mouthy punk. He can walk away feeling like he's "told you," and you can walk away with the knowledge of what could have really happened had he decided to turn it up a few notches.

I've used the silent treatment combined with a hard, confident look, and it has worked quite effectively. I think it would work in my favor more so than it would for you guys, because a male thug may be more likely to escalate against a guy just to save face.

Silence can work and can be the appropriate solution to some scenarios, but you've got to be prepared in case it doesn't. Some guys aren't just punks and will take it up to another level.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Very very well put. I thought that in some scenarios it might work. Problem is, as some folks said, we don't know exactly when it would work until we see how the little savage is acting in the first place. Thanks, Betty, that is helpful.

My original post was much too broad. I should have thought of a particular scenario because there are just so many possibilities. e.g. is the savage looking to hurt someone and no matter what you say he just wants to cut? is he looking for money? What is his own psychological makeup? Does he scare easily and the first resistance he gets, even a look, makes him cringe and leave like a dog with its tail between its legs, or does he feel that no answer to his nonsense is "disrespect"? (Something they love to get but hate to give). Whole bunch of possibilites. Maybe it is better that there is no scenario given, so these different views can come up.
    I guess my personal reaction would be spur of the moment, after all you cannot plan an encounter, they just happen or don't happen.
    I would see what the guy is looking to do, judge it by that, allow him to determine his own life expectancy.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Hi Sgt Mac: What kind of posturing exactly? Different for different situations etc?
    Yes!

ABSOLUTELY different for different situations.

There are so many variables that play into it:

Relative size, fitness, experience level......fighting ability, basically, and for what sort of fight.

Goals - both yours and those of the opponent(s)

Level of determination - both yours and that of the opponent(s)

Environment - cover, escape routes, lighting, witnesses, assistance

"Posturing" is anything intentionally done which sends the message "don't mess with me -- you'll lose", without necessarily ACTUALLY enhancing the sender's ABILITY to fight more effectively. Classic examples are found all over the animal kingdom, wherever critters increase their VISUAL size to appear larger and more formidable.

Most people (BG, road ragers, etc) expect you to react in the same manner they are treating you. If they stick out their chest and get in your face and yell they expect you to react the same way. I'm a truck driver and deal with road ragers almost every day, they all act the same. When they start acting like idiots I usually smile and wink at them, occasionally I'll blow a kiss at them. 9 times out of 10 they're so shocked they leave. For that lone idiot I climb out of the cab with my tire thumper in hand (i'm 6'2" and 280lbs). They usually calm down and realize they have someplace to go.

Thanks, sgt mac (Marine Sgt, I hope :)
    Spooter66, That is great. I have used that a couple of times. One time in city traffic, someone was stuck there and I couldn't move to let him by and he was cursing me up and down and I finally mouthed the words I LOVE YOU to him and he went beserk. It was great.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Thanks, sgt mac (Marine Sgt, I hope :)
    Nope.

First Army (MP) and then municipal police.

Oops. Sorry. Thanks for your service. MP must've been a tough job. But I have a feeling that the lawbreakers went quietly to their reserved cells, with your guidance.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

actions, not words

Discussion of whether to speak to an aggressor entails guessing about what his mental reaction to your words would be. My opinion is that an aggressor’s thought processes would be so foreign to mine that I could not guess what might dissuade him, so I won’t make the attempt. My view is that engaging in dialogue with an aggressor is a distraction to thought processes which I must focus on actions to avoid or neutralize the threat.

If someone triggers my mental alarm as a possible threat, I will be observing his actions, not listening to whatever he might say. If someone points a weapon at me, I will assume he is going to use it regardless of what he says, for example “I won’t hurt you if you give me your money and your wife”. I will meet a lethal threat with lethal force. I will move and draw if necessary, and his chance to disengage is to run away before I can pull the trigger.

Think of non-human lethal threats; talking won’t help, only taking action will allow you to avoid them. If I see a tornado approaching, I will take whatever cover is available. A human threat is similar in that what the aggressor says and what the defender says are both irrelevant to the actions of the aggressor and the reactions of the defender.

I think that is right. We really don't have much time to figure him out, just see what he is up to and act accordingly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links