Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic?

This is a discussion on Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We were talkiing about eyeballing in one of the threads here, and just now were talking elsewhere about the guy who came out and saw ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic?

Remaining Silent as a Defensive Tactic?

We were talkiing about eyeballing in one of the threads here, and just now were talking elsewhere about the guy who came out and saw a BG in the owner's vehicle and when the GG told him time and again to get out of it, the BG did not even look around but kept his back to GG and this unnerved the GG to the point where he shot BG in the buttocks. Was not charged.
    I was thinking of what would happen if GG adopted same tactic as BG in that scenario in Memphis.
    Criminal types are used to posturing and going back and forth verbally with their intended victims.
    What if a GG is approached by a BG and the GG just stares back at BG without a word. Nothing. And the BG is still talking and talking the typical BG BS.
    Do you think this would be unnerving to the BG?
    Just curious as to what we all think about this, as a tactic.
    Has anyone ever done this in a real life situation. There is no doubt that it is very unnerving for the person on the other end to get no reaction from you.
    I think they would wonder if you are crazy, and perhaps change their mind about you. They are not used to people not saying one word to them. It probably never happened to them before.
    But I don't know if it would be effective. What do you folks think?
    Last edited by dcb188; May 19th, 2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: 2 sentence addition
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    What if a GG is approached by a BG and the GG just stares back at BG without a word. Nothing. And the BG is still talking and talking the typical BG BS.
    Do you think this would be unnerving to the BG?
    Just curious as to what we all think about this, as a tactic.
    Has anyone ever done this in a real life situation.
    That's a great way to die fast. Silence/standing there tells most folks on the street that one perceives oneself as a BadMutha. The only time I have seen anything like that work was when a genuine BM, who was in the service and more than sufficiently fluent in the language of violence took the silent approach with a mugger threatening him with a knife. The (attempted) mugger finished the night with his knife through his scapula.

I guess the bottom line is that if one stands "strong & silent" one is essentially waiting until the BG takes action that constitutes assault/battery and one is able and prepared to overpower and cripple the assailant. I would submit that one's motivations might be questioned, not that it isn't defensible.

I would guess the silence on your part would be construed as fear by the BG, just about guaranteeing an attack. If not fear, than perhaps mentally unstable, which would lend credence to a BG thinking the GG will not be able to identify him or make a good witness hence, once again, guaranteeing an attack.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Talking back and forth with him, what would that indicate to the BG?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I'm going to go ahead and rely on my work as a bouncer for a couple years for this one, not your typical thug BG's, but unruly drunks, and alcohol does play a factor in a fair amount of crime.

Usually I found what worked best was using my "big boy voice", not quite yelling, but not quite a normal volume, with forceful commands, but not neccessarily threats.

Body language however, seems to be more important than what is actually said.

Taking the original story, if the GG gave a verbal warning that he was going to shoot while his eyes darted off the the sides rapidly, and he fidgeted with his fingers and did a dance on his feet, the BG wouldn't take him as seriously as someone whose eyes didn't move, with a solid firing grip.

You can tell the difference between someone saying they are going to assault you (probably more along the lines of I'ma kick your butt.) you thinking second thoughts, as opposed to someone saying it and really meaning it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Not all bad guys are alike. Some are not as bad as they might think. Some are. I know we as intended victims do not have much time to play around with conversation with these guys if we are to survive some intended attack. So the less said the better, and just open fire if you have to. But I would imagine some so called BG would be intimidated by absolute silence. (Hit the button before your reply came in, Buckeyelcpl)
    I am not sure that there is a such a thing as a typical badguy, insofar as knowing what rattles him etc
    Now, we talked on the "eyeballing" thread here about staring back at bad guys and how that would let them know that you knew what they were up to and that it would be intimidating to them, so by logical extension if an intended V stared at them and not in some sheepish way but in a way that said I would love to open fire on you, I think a lot of BG would not be positive of their next move. Some would and some wouldn't. They are not all exactly alike, just like Vs are not all alike. So I think it depends on what type of BG or so called BG you are dealing with.
    I am not willing to go back and forth in conversation and screaming and hollering. If they are attacking in a second, then I am getting ready to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I am not sure that there is a such a thing as a typical badguy, insofar as knowing what rattles him etc
    I'm pretty sure looking down the barrel of a .45 will rattle most BG's.

LEO are trained for negotiating and talking a BG down. I am not.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I would have to agree. Especially the cannon-looking barrel of a .45

I think remaining silent, making eye contact and giving them a very distinct "wrong guy, wrong day" glare is appropriate in some situations, but could be provocative in others. If I was being "interviewed" I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I think that is right, it depends on the BG and the exact situation. So it COULD be used effectively at least sometimes.

I think that displaying confidence in your abilities may be to your advantage in the RIGHT situation. It depends upon what the assailant intends to do. Remember, not everyone is looking for a "fight".

Now, would I use this tactic against someone with a gun drawn on me... probably not. I would be more likely to use it against someone who has a knife, stick, etc.
    Brian K. LaMaster
    President, Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Instructor, Counter Force International
    http://www.right2defend.com
    http://www.modernwarriortalk.com

Yes, it is tough to say because I guess it would vary tremendously with the exact situation and the psychological makeup of the bad guy.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    There are 4 possible responses to violence, or impending violence:

Fight
    Flight
    Posture
    Submit

"Remaining silent" can only be interpreted as one of the latter two, and predators will PROBABLY ass-ume that it's a sign of submission.

If it is in fact POSTURING, it's the weakest form of it, and posturing depends upon the receiver's perception of its strength for success.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I'm pretty sure looking down the barrel of a .45 will rattle most BG's.
    ...as will several .45 JHPs "rattling" around in the boiler room...

Hi Sgt Mac: What kind of posturing exactly? Different for different situations etc?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links