Cleared my pistol for the 1st time

This is a discussion on Cleared my pistol for the 1st time within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live here in TN, in a county subdivision. I walk my dog everyday before dark but sometimes after dark. There is a home that ...

Thread: Cleared my pistol for the 1st time

I live here in TN, in a county subdivision. I walk my dog everyday before dark but sometimes after dark. There is a home that I know and other residents know of that breeds pitbulls, 5 to 6 dogs. Last night I was walking our dog, that is 45 lbs basset hounddog mix. She loves everybody. I heard the owner outside but did not know he had one of the dogs out. the next thing I heard was him screaming and running towards me and (Sadie). The pit made an attack but over shot because of its speed and I had pulled her in close. He regrouped and was coming back. I always carry my 45 acp, It cleared the holster and saftey was dropped. The owner by this time had gotten a hold of the dog and I backed off because I did not have a clear shot. I just wanted to see want everyone else would have done in this scenario?

Administrator
    Did you back off because the owner regained control of his dog, or because you didnt have a clear shot?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    I carry OC spray plus a baton and a blade every time I strutt my mutt because in my area it is not legal to discharge a firearm within borough limits and/or to protect a pet.
    Know your state and local laws.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

With the pit bull charging, maybe you can make the argument that you were protecting yourself primarily.
    I say that because the scenario said the pit bull was running toward both.
    I think he would have been totally justified in firing.
    I don't think the police would have given him a hard time at all.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Sounds like you did just fine. How did the owner react when you drew your .45? Did you go low-ready, or aim at the pitbull?

Any words exchanged?
    Like, "Sorry about my dog"?
    Or, "Sorry about that?"
    Or at least, a "Nice .45."
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The only reason I backed off was the fact the owner did regain control and he did come into the picture. I did not however reholster till he had put the dog up. He did apologize alot and did question me if i would've shot his dog. I said yes I would and he said he could not blame me.

Would have called the PD....informed them what happened. Otherwise your neighbor could have called (could still call) and complain a crazy guy was walking around with a gun and threatened his "puppies"...

The first one to call is the complaintant/victim....the last one to call is the defendant.

He did apologize alot and did question me if i would've shot his dog. I said yes I would and he said he could not blame me
    Yes he would blame you...talk is cheap, until you pay a lawyer. Call the PD and report it. It will be a matter of time before one of the dogs gets loose and hurts/injures/kills another dog or a human.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Would have called the PD....informed them what happened. Otherwise your neighbor could have called (could still call) and complain a crazy guy was walking around with a gun and threatened his "puppies"...

The first one to call is the complaintant/victim....the last one to call is the defendant.

Yes he would blame you...talk is cheap, until you pay a lawyer. Call the PD and report it. It will be a matter of time before one of the dogs gets loose and hurts/injures/kills another dog or a human.
    +1, if you go ahead and call the PD to tell them what happened, then if it happens again and you have to shoot, they should have you on record for the first report...

Quote Originally Posted by andersmg View Post
    +1, if you go ahead and call the PD to tell them what happened, then if it happens again and you have to shoot, they should have you on record for the first report...
    I disagree. I would not call a day or so later and let the police know...Oh, by the way, I had to draw my gun a few days ago.

Honestly, this sounds like a textbook perfect story.

OP was confronted and felt threatened. The dog's owner secured the threat. The OP and the dog's owner had a conversation in which the owner apologized and realized how much of a menace his animals could be to an unknown person.

I would say the dog owner learned a lot, and the OP learned a lot, and by virtue of DC, we have all learned something.

Let sleeping dog's lie, or something to that effect.

P.S. Pepper spray might not be a bad investment, although with a charging pit bull, I might have time to draw one defensive tool...and in this case, it would probably be a .45.

Again, great job to the OP.

A. You were prepared.
    B. You were able to present your defensive weapon soon enough to protect yourself.
    C. You were able to discern when the threat was passed.
    D. When the threat passed, you re-holstered and went about your day.
    E. It sounds like you remained calm and had a civilized conversation with the party responsible for the threat and the issue was resolved.

I don't see how it can get much better.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I think you did good but I would of reported the agressive dog immediately,in some cities it is illegal to own a violent dog and a dog that clearly charged in an agressive manner would have been reported if not shot,here in Texas if we are attacked by a dog we can shoot the dog and i'm not gonna waste time trying to decide if the dog is after me or my dog
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JRG
    How did the pit bull get out of his yard or out of the control of the owner? Is there a leash law in your area, have the dogs been reported to animal control as being trained for fighting?....report and document as much as you can. If those dogs are allowed to roam someone is going to get hurt.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I disagree. I would not call a day or so later and let the police know...Oh, by the way, I had to draw my gun a few days ago.

OP was confronted and felt threatened. The dog's owner secured the threat. The OP and the dog's owner had a conversation in which the owner apologized and realized how much of a menace his animals could be to an unknown person.

I would say the dog owner learned a lot, and the OP learned a lot, and by virtue of DC, we have all learned something.

P.S. Pepper spray might not be a bad investment, although with a charging pit bull, I might have time to draw one defensive tool...and in this case, it would probably be a .45.

A. You were prepared.
    B. You were able to present your defensive weapon soon enough to protect yourself.
    E. It sounds like you remained calm and had a civilized conversation with the party responsible for the threat and the issue was resolved.

Nothing more to add, covers everything. Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I would have done the same thing. I've seen what a pit bull can do . The owner should have had the dog on a chain. Lucky you didn't have to shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post

A. You were prepared.

+1, good post.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsored Links