Home defense hypothetical - Page 3

Home defense hypothetical

This is a discussion on Home defense hypothetical within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, when you call 911 just say shots, dead, intruder, bye and when they say well sir is there anything else just say Remember Joe ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    OK, when you call 911 just say shots, dead, intruder, bye and when they say well sir is there anything else just say Remember Joe Horn?
    Then at trial they will play this tape and the jury will say huh????
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

I see where Joe Horn saw people on his LAWN, not armed inside his house, and spoke aggressively. I have a feeling this scenario we are talking about is far away from the lawn incident where D spoke agressively or was the aggressor.
    Makes a big difference where it happened. Where would you be more justified in a shooting of a person, on your lawn or inside your home when intruder is armed. Comparing scenarios ought to be only when they are similar. The only thing here that is similar is that both callers spoke to 911.
    HOW they spoke and where the shooting occurred are not comparable, are they?
    But the bottom line is this, If I shoot an armed guy in my house, and I call 911, the last thing I am going to do is be evasive on the phone. You can be if you like and remember Joe Horn too, but that is one of the great things about America, the freedom to disagree. You and I do it on every post :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I see where Joe Horn saw people on his LAWN
    The merits of the Horn case are different and very debatable, but his rambling on to the 911 operator did nothing but make him look bad (guilty) is my point.
    I'm saying to answer the questions, but keep it brief and to the point.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree. I was not talking about rambling, just keeping to the point too. No rambling, no. But others thought that to talk honestly to 911 just stating the minimum, was taking a chance in itself

I summed up my whole view in post # 21 and stand by it.

Yes, the scenario I described in my original post was one of clear-cut, legal self-defense inide one's home against a visibly armed attacker. I wanted to remove all possible grey legal areas.

I guess what bothers me is not this scenario because it is a great scenario.
    It is that, in life, we have to tiptoe around on eggshells all our lives, taking care not to give this or that impression to him or her, and just overall living in such a state of fear that oh this can be dredged up against me in the year 2020 and the whole thing.
    I am at school, if I do this at recess I will end up in prison, I am at work, there is a group. I have a joke to tell. They might fire me.
    Ever since we stopped knowing right from wrong as a nation, we have walked down this "path of eggshells". It pervades every single area of our existence.
    Can anyone identify with this? We can acknowledge the truth of how we have become, we can deny it, but it is there, and the worst thing about it is how sad it is. We literally cannot do anything involving any kind of authority without thinking ahead 20 years about its consequences. Ah for the days when things were straightforward and things were just what they seemed. When people knew right from wrong, regular people on the street.
    Now right is wrong and wrong is right.
    A perfect example is the email I just got from Speedway America regarding the firing of that guy who helped out his fellow female employee, and I posted it on the ongoing thread just now. This has me talking philosophically for a minute, sorry. :)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I guess what bothers me is not this scenario because it is a great scenario.
    It is that, in life, we have to tiptoe around on eggshells all our lives, taking care not to give this or that impression to him or her, and just overall living in such a state of fear that oh this can be dredged up against me in the year 2020 and the whole thing.
    I am at school, if I do this at recess I will end up in prison, I am at work, there is a group. I have a joke to tell. They might fire me.
    Ever since we stopped knowing right from wrong as a nation, we have walked down this "path of eggshells". It pervades every single area of our existence.
    Can anyone identify with this?
    Certainly I can, especially in my line of work. As an attorney though, would you rather defend the homeowner who said very little, (no lies, just said little on the recorded line) or the homeowner who suffers from diarrhea of the mouth?
    "Just blame Sixto"

The former, no doubt. My post number 21 said No Rambling, though, so i am in agreement. My point was that the caller should not ramble but neither should he act like 911 is this huge huge adversary either. Somewhere in the middle....I stand by post 21.....Sounds like my USMC days.

Administrator
    I agree with post 21, thats what I'm saying too. It is a fine line that I'm trying to define more clearly for the rest of us reading this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is a great scenario though, because the GG is clearly the GG, and the question is not that but what do you SAY to 911 and this is hardly ever talked about, so it is great in that regard.

I think post #21 makes a lot of sense too. My approach to this whole thing is as a law-abiding citizen who wants do do the right thing, but not so naive as to think I don't face some serious pitfalls if I don't use my head.
    Sort of like if an officer who's stopped me for a traffic violation asks if he can search my vehicle. I've got nothing to hide but I'm going to say no.

You know what is hilarious? The numbers of folks who say YES, when they KNOW there is contraband. I find that absolutely hysterical, I don't know why. Give me a break. You know you have ten handguns and 100 pounds of MJ in the trunk and the guys says search? Why sure, officer.....unreal. Elevator goes a couple of floors below where it should go.
    And then the driver is: Now that must be my cousin' Tommy's stuff. He borrowed my car last weekend.....

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Well I think there’s always a happy medium between vague and evasive answers to the 911 operator and mindlessly blubbering and saying things you don’t mean. I have no problem saying that I shot an intruder in my home and that I was afraid for my life when I did it. And like mcp1810 stated, being vague probably won’t help you much. But I really want to avoid statements like, “I feel horrible about all this” and “I didn’t want this to happen”. While you may feel horrible that now you have a dead guy in your house and you face the expense of an attorney as well as some home repair/cleaning, such a statement could be interpreted as remorse for pulling the trigger.

If the operator starts to ask me detailed questions, I want to be careful with my answers. You’re in the middle of an adrenaline rush and many details will seem hazy. If the operator asks if you know the BG, don’t say, “I’ve never seen him before in my life.” Just say, “I don’t think so but I’m not sure”. He could turn out to be your milkman and you had a 20-minute conversation with him 10 months ago when you started your milk delivery service. If the operator starts asking questions like this, it might be a good time to extricate yourself from the phone. “Operator, I’m going to set the phone down now and tend to my family right. This is a very traumatic for all of us.”

That’s just my $0.02 worth. I’m open to suggestions.

I hear you. Exactly. Just what I said about no rambling. But being honest and upfront re basics. Yep. I agree with you.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links