Home defense hypothetical - Page 4

Home defense hypothetical

This is a discussion on Home defense hypothetical within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dcb188 I guess what bothers me is not this scenario because it is a great scenario. It is that, in life, we ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 93
  1. #46
    Senior Member Array walvord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    St. Charles County Missouri
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    I guess what bothers me is not this scenario because it is a great scenario.
    It is that, in life, we have to tiptoe around on eggshells all our lives, taking care not to give this or that impression to him or her, and just overall living in such a state of fear that oh this can be dredged up against me in the year 2020 and the whole thing.
    I am at school, if I do this at recess I will end up in prison, I am at work, there is a group. I have a joke to tell. They might fire me.
    Ever since we stopped knowing right from wrong as a nation, we have walked down this "path of eggshells". It pervades every single area of our existence.
    Can anyone identify with this? We can acknowledge the truth of how we have become, we can deny it, but it is there, and the worst thing about it is how sad it is. We literally cannot do anything involving any kind of authority without thinking ahead 20 years about its consequences. Ah for the days when things were straightforward and things were just what they seemed. When people knew right from wrong, regular people on the street.
    Now right is wrong and wrong is right.
    A perfect example is the email I just got from Speedway America regarding the firing of that guy who helped out his fellow female employee, and I posted it on the ongoing thread just now. This has me talking philosophically for a minute, sorry. :)
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980


  2. #47
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,900
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    You know what is hilarious? The numbers of folks who say YES, when they KNOW there is contraband. I find that absolutely hysterical, I don't know why. Give me a break. You know you have ten handguns and 100 pounds of MJ in the trunk and the guys says search? Why sure, officer.....unreal. Elevator goes a couple of floors below where it should go.
    And then the driver is: Now that must be my cousin' Tommy's stuff. He borrowed my car last weekend.....
    I think in these cases, they think one of three things;

    A) The game is over, and they lost

    B) The gig is up, but they can talk their way out of anything

    C) They are smart enough to understand that if I really want in that car, I'm going to get in it. There is plenty of legal wiggle room for a good officer to be able to find his way in there legally.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  3. #48
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    WALWORD: Thanks. Was not trying to do an imitation of Socrates or Plato :)
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  4. #49
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    SIXTO : Maybe just saying you might have a dog take a little sniff? Might loosen them up a bit?
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  5. #50
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    I will see your post #21 and raise you post #18.(and the second half of post #44)
    As a call taker my job was to get as much relevant information out of you and to the officers as fast as I could.
    Even if you are innocent, there is a very good chance that you will say something that is untrue. How many stories have we heard where a shooter thinks he fired 2-3 rounds and in truth he fired until slide-lock?

    I will also link this again http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ge-advice.html
    It's a defense attorney/professor and a police investigator telling you why you should NOT talk to the police.

    If the facts are crystal clear then what you say or don't say to the 911 operator should not matter. If you have a DA with an agenda, it might. My 911 call for help is not the time or place for me to be explaining my side of the story. I will give the simple facts.

    I will give my name, my description, the fact that there was a break in, the fact that shots were fired, and the fact that I have the intruder at gun point are the only facts that they need.

    I will not say who fired the shots. I will not assess the condition of the intruder. I will not incriminate myself in any way.

    There is almost no way to get a 911 call thrown out of evidence.

    Immediately after what will probably be the most traumatic event of a persons life is not the time to give a recorded statement.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  6. #51
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    WELLLLL you go a little bit farther than I would re being careful. But we can never be too careful nowadays, that's for sure.
    And I get along with fellow defense attorneys but am not real fond of most, because they do not live in the real world.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  7. #52
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,900
    Quote Originally Posted by dcb188 View Post
    SIXTO : Maybe just saying you might have a dog take a little sniff? Might loosen them up a bit?
    An elementary tactic... but yes, it is a classic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  8. #53
    New Member Array camguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I will see your post #21 and raise you post #18.



    I will give my name, my description, the fact that there was a break in, the fact that shots were fired, and the fact that I have the intruder at gun point are the only facts that they need.

    I will not say who fired the shots. I will not assess the condition of the intruder. I will not incriminate myself in any way.

    There is almost no way to get a 911 call thrown out of evidence.

    Immediately after what will probably be the most traumatic event of a persons life is not the time to give a recorded statement.
    Well, I can see the logic here too. However, since I'm going to be honest with the police and admit it was me who shot the BG, and that testimony will be admissible, what would be the harm in being just as straightforward with 911? Especially if I'm asked directly who fired the shot(s)...what do I say then?

  9. #54
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    When a police officer is involved in a shooting, do you think he gives a statement right away, or do you think he consults the departments attorney first?

    If a police officer is smart enough to know that directly after a shooting is not the right time to give a statement, I figure we could at least follow suit.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  10. #55
    New Member Array camguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    12
    Taking this to the next level, then, do I even say anything to the police before I get a lawyer? Obviously, this will mean I'm arrested and spend at least the night in jail, but would it be in my long-term best interest to just clam up?

  11. #56
    VIP Member Array Kerbouchard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,894
    Quote Originally Posted by camguy View Post
    Taking this to the next level, then, do I even say anything to the police before I get a lawyer? Obviously, this will mean I'm arrested and spend at least the night in jail, but would it be in my long-term best interest to just clam up?
    I don't think so. I also believe I will give a statement to the police, even though it could be a bad idea. I am hard-headed that way. It's my house, I did nothing wrong, why shouldn't I make a statement, right?

    But I will do it after my heart stops racing and probably after I throw up or do whatever else I need to do. Not immediately after shots fired.

    A recording lasts forever. Just make sure your collected enough to make the statement. And realize also, that most people who call 911 in an emergency do not remember the exact words they used in the 911 call or even what all they told them.

    I don't want to have to try to remember what I said, and take the chance that I was mistaken.

    Most officers do not know how many rounds they fire in a shooting and they are trained to remember details.

    I will most likely make a statement. I just want some time to collect myself before I do so. At least wait until the smoke clears.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

    http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

    Who is John Galt?

  12. #57
    New Member Array camguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    12
    Let me just take a second to thank everyone for their replies. This is a great forum!

  13. #58
    Senior Member Array dcb188's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Mid-Cape Cod, Mass.
    Posts
    861
    It sure is. GREAT scenario you came up with, too.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)
    __________________________________
    Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
    __________________________________
    Socrates : "Knowledge is knowing that we know nothing".

  14. #59
    New Member Array camguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Arlington VA
    Posts
    12
    Well, thank you very much.

  15. #60
    VIP Member Array MitchellCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    I don't post here anymore...Sorry
    Posts
    2,333
    Most problems in these scenarios go away if people say just the minimum.

    Tell the po-po the address, that their has been a shooting.

    When they arrive, tell them your name, that you own the house and called 911, and you would like to remain silent until you can speak to a lawyer because you don't trust yourself right now after this whole thing.

    Don't take the risk of saying the wrong thing and have it bite you in the rear.

    Just

    Shut

    Up.

    (Except in Texas. You don't need the 5th amendment in Texas...)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. AR-15: For Home Defense?
    By CDRGlock in forum Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: March 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM
  2. Home Defense... what would you do??
    By GoldenSaber in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 8th, 2009, 12:19 AM
  3. Hypothetical: Response to Auto Break-in whle Parked at Home
    By Roadrunner in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: April 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
  4. LMS Defense Home Defense - Defensive Medical COMBO / Yuba City, CA / March 8-10, 2008
    By Tony Siciliano in forum Defensive Carry & Tactical Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 6th, 2008, 12:55 PM

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors