Home defense hypothetical

This is a discussion on Home defense hypothetical within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bad guy in your home, middle of the night, visibly armed, you shoot and kill him. All solid self-defense. You immediately grab the phone and ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense hypothetical

Home defense hypothetical

Bad guy in your home, middle of the night, visibly armed, you shoot and kill him. All solid self-defense. You immediately grab the phone and call for an ambulance and police.
    Here's my question: when asked what the nature of the emergency is by the 911 operator, do you say "I just shot an intruder in my home," or something more vague such as "there's been a shooting?"
    I guess I'm wondering if it's better to CYA until the police arrive to assess the situation.
    Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

"My name is... Someone has broken into my home. Shots fired. Will need Police and an Ambulance. My description is... I am wearing... I have the intruder at gun point."

That's about it.

I just want to make sure I include my description and that I am holding a weapon so the police know what to expect when they arrive.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    "My name is... Someone has broken into my home. Shots fired. Will need Police and an Ambulance. My description is... I am wearing... I have the intruder at gun point."

That's about it.

I just want to make sure I include my description and that I am holding a weapon so the police know what to expect when they arrive.
    +1 That should be more than enough information for the 911 tapes.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

^^^^^Ditto, +1, me too, and all of that-----except-I won't be holding a weapon of any sort when the police arrive. My task has been completed, the defensive arm will then be unloaded and laying on the couch. I'll be unarmed when the police arrive-they can inspect the tool that rendered the damage when they inspect the scene and ask questions as they may.

I'm the naked dude with the gun!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

That's about it.

+1

While Id keep a pistol pointed at the BG, just in case he is still alive, Id put the pistol in my back pocket or holster when the LEOs show up.

And since they are going to ask you a bunch of questions, if the BG got you out of bed, you might want the wife to go get ya some pants and shirt to put on.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

That's about it.

+2 I would never confess of being the shooter to the 911 operator on a phone line.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Great advice on giving your description. I was wondering about the loaded/unloaded question too. I was confronted once by two condition red Alington PD officers in my living room once (they were responding to an alert neighbor's call on a possible burglary in progress), and believe me, the last thing I wanted to do is make them any more nervous that they already were!

You all covered the bases pretty well. I would add, if you have time, put on pants before investigating. From a psychological standpoint one is at a severe disadvantage fighting naked.-Jay

Quote Originally Posted by camguy View Post
    Great advice on giving your description. I was wondering about the loaded/unloaded question too. I was confronted once by two condition red Alington PD officers in my living room once (they were responding to an alert neighbor's call on a possible burglary in progress), and believe me, the last thing I wanted to do is make them any more nervous that they already were!
    I'm not going to disarm until the police arrive. I don't know if the BG has a buddy......heck, maybe still in the house.

The police will know that I'm the good guy, my description, that I'm armed, and that I'll comply with their directions when they arrive.

Administrator
    The operator will ask the questions needed for responding officers. Nothing is more annoying on a 911 call than someone blabbering away about what they feel is important, but is no matter to the problem at hand at that particular time. Certain questions need answered before anything starts rolling.
    Just answer the basic questions, and the advice given here so far is right on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have to let them know that situation is NOT ongoing.
    "Hello? There was an armed intruder in my home? He was moving around and now he is not moving at all? Thanks."
    Seriously, the most important thing is to let the dispatcher know it is over, before they send eight cars to a shootout in progress. They need to know not only what happened but what is STILL HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, so if it is all over they need to know that, Plus they need to know that you are armed. If you are still walking around the house in a daze, holding your gun down by your side, and an officer walks in, it is much much easier to avoid misconceptions earlier than when he or she sees the pistol at your side.
    ALL common sense, but sometimes 911 operators have to drag out the info from the caller step by step.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ^^^^^Ditto, +1, me too, and all of that-----except-I won't be holding a weapon of any sort when the police arrive. My task has been completed, the defensive arm will then be unloaded and laying on the couch. I'll be unarmed when the police arrive-they can inspect the tool that rendered the damage when they inspect the scene and ask questions as they may.
    I would not unload my firearm, or place it anywhere until told to do so by the responding officer. For one, I am not qualified to assess the medical condition of the intruder. I don't know if he is stunned, dead, paralyzed or playing possum. (Even if I know, I still don't know..ya know?)

Also, I don't know if the intruder has a partner that is waiting outside and might get curious. I just want to emphasize that there is NO way you could know if your task has been completed. An incomplete in this assignment doesn't get a 'make-up'.

There is also, something to be said for not tampering with evidence. For most of us it's natural to place the 'loose' round back in the magazine after clearing a weapon. I just don't want to change anything(with the exception of some clothes) until the police arrive. If they want to clear my weapon, then they can do it.

Although, it would almost be worth it, to be sitting in the middle of the living room in your boxers cleaning your pistol when the police arrive. Just to see their expression.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I'm not going to disarm until the police arrive. I don't know if the BG has a buddy......heck, maybe still in the house.

The police will know that I'm the good guy, my description, that I'm armed, and that I'll comply with their directions when they arrive.
    Very sensible.

It would be, if they knew you were cleaning it. Otherwise you have to put yourself in their shoes. They don't know the caller from Adam. They walk in and here is this guy sitting there in the middle of his living room holding a gun. It is perfectly within the law to do that, after all it is his house.
    What would this look like to you if you were the very first LEO through the door. I would think that the very first thing that crosses their minds could be "man with a gun", not "man cleaning a gun wants to see our expression."
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links