Bicycle riding and lurking BG's

This is a discussion on Bicycle riding and lurking BG's within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one may throw a wrench into any of those planned responses on your bikes... Cyclist cloths-lined by a strand of clear tape across the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bicycle riding and lurking BG's

This one may throw a wrench into any of those planned responses on your bikes...

Cyclist cloths-lined by a strand of clear tape across the bike trail:
    Cyclist Clothes-Lined By Tape At Lake Zorinsky - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha

It looks like the evil pranksters did their deed and fled, but what if they start using this as a means to get you off the bike and then rob, rape, murder etc... This guy was in no shape to either continue the ride or fight back after getting knocked off with multiple broken ribs etc...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

I always carry when I ride.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Ok, yesterday was the first time I ever rode a bicycle CCW. My wife and I rode on a 8+ mile bike path late Sunday morning. I wore cargo pants and a long-waisted tee shirt. I carried my G27 in a RSR Defense holster that I found in my "holster drawer". It has a retention button and I sort of liked that idea in the fact that the gun would likely stay holstered if I were to take a spill. It's made to carry OWB and the long t-shirt covered it well, it printed a little bit, but not very noticeable. My wife rode behind me or to the side and kept giving me feedback on concealment. I had an extra mag in a little bag on my bike.

We were unfamiliar with the safety history of this bike path, it is highly visible, not near a bad part of town and is well-kept. Surprisingly there was only one other rider, and about 3 people that were walking. I didn't see anyone that caused me to alert. Whenever we met and rode past someone walking, the walker couldn't see me, but I'd turn my head a 180 and watch him as my wife rode by him. Along with friendly nods, everyone we encountered was fine, though sweaty.

My wife carried her 642 in a little zip-up bike bag that fits under the seat. I didn't have anything in the holster drawer that would work for her, but I'll get her something soon enough. One of us always stayed with the bikes during a restroom break or whatever, so her gun was always in our possession.

BTW I had asked for bike recommendations in another thread, and we decided on Raleighs, both are Detours, mine is 4.5 and her's is a 4.0. Thanks for those inputs.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I carry a CZ-75 Compact 9mm in a Tommy's Gun Pack.

I have fallen hard with this pack and the Gun stays safe.

When riding through a group of guys standing around doing nothing.......I stand tall and look like I'm ready for action.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    This one may throw a wrench into any of those planned responses on your bikes...

Cyclist cloths-lined by a strand of clear tape across the bike trail:
    Cyclist Clothes-Lined By Tape At Lake Zorinsky - Omaha News Story - KETV Omaha
    Speaking of being clothes-lined.

I was riding on the sidwalk on central and a tire shop had some balloons waving in the wind.

I thought no big deal and rode on.

One of those strings wrapped around my neck and I fell hard. Busted my unhelmed skull and blead the rest of the way home..................Albuquerque was made for biking!
    Last edited by crankinNM; May 31st, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: spelled blead wrong

VIP Member
    When I ride my bike, I carry my Glock 27 IWB.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If I'm on two wheels...I'm armed...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member

Happy trails.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I'm thinking that it would be risky for two riders to ride through them at the same time. With some planning on our part, I could ride through them first, while my wife stops short and puts her hand under her "jacket", they'll be watching both of us. If I make it through, then I stop, put my hand under my "jacket" and wait for her to pass through safely. This way we've thrown off their timing, and covering each others backs. There's a lot of and's, if's, and but's in this, but I think you get the gist of this idea. The worst tactic.
    My two cents:
    I agree that covering each other through a potentially hostile crowd is impractical.

I ride on the LA River and San Gabriel River Trails in Southern California. Same dangers as anywhere else but not legal to carry. I think about these situations and recall one escape from two pedestrian punks that I owe to bike speed superiority. Superior mobility is the best defense.
    That and the field of view of a bike trail may be the reason for such a low number of robbery and worse incidence reports involving cyclists. The Lake Zorinsky clothesline occurred at a bridge. These are the most dangerous parts of a trail. I often build speed for the big dip under the bridge - not to blow past an ambush but to be gone before they know I'm there since we can't see each other. So far, they don't exist. I'll definitely consider cargo shorts and OC.
    With all of the miles some of you put in, you are plenty well-conditioned to rise to the occassion of a boot party. I suggest a visit to a local Brazillian Jiu Jitsu or similar self-defense school to get familiar with your ground game.
    Thanks for the scenario idea. Safety first, second, and last is the best attitude.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links