Bicycle riding and lurking BG's

This is a discussion on Bicycle riding and lurking BG's within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A distant friend (college age) was bike riding on a dedicated bike trail, while riding he came upon a small group of guys on foot, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle riding and lurking BG's

VIP Member

Bicycle riding and lurking BG's

A distant friend (college age) was bike riding on a dedicated bike trail, while riding he came upon a small group of guys on foot, hanging around the trail. As he passed near them, without warning, they closed in on him, knocked him off of his bike, roughed him up quite a bit, and took his money and bike. Luckily his injuries weren't too severe, and he's okay today.

My wife and I are going to do some biking and this is fresh on my mind right now, especially because of the vulnerabilty and exposure of riding a bike. So I have some thoughts about this:

1. He was riding alone. Of course it would be safer to be in a group of other riders. My wife and I won't be in a group actually, but we will ride together hopefully within distance of other riders, we'll both CCW.

2. No doubt that BG's can stake out an isolated curve to "hang around" and wait on unsuspecting riders. They can step aside off the trail luring the riders to ride between them, then make their attack. Getting knocked off a bike will not put you in the best position to draw concealed quickly, you may not even be able to at the time (well, maybe Chuck Norris could). Trails can be isolated, maybe no witnesses, and they can bug out/scatter quickly afterwards. Fairly easy pickings for them.

3. So I'm trying to think of tactics to avoid a bike trail encounter. Here are some ideas and thoughts:

a. If you can see them quick enough, and stop before you get too close, you can just turn around and ride back from where you came, then either detour or wait on a group of more riders to pass by and join them (safety in numbers). Surely this is the best tactic.

b. What if you unexpectantly came up on the BG group and didn't have time to turn around? Depending on the terrain I'd consider not letting them lure me on the trail between them, and get off the trail completely and pass them on their off-side. Hopefully one wouldn't wipe out doing this maneuver. Not a great tactic though.

c. In an unexpected encounter, and if you had time to build up significant speed, I think that might help pass through, especially if you did some bit of S's as you got near them. Not a great tactic though.

d. If the guys are watching you ride up on them that would be a red flag, because they'd be timing your approach for the take-down. This falls in situational awareness.

e. I'm thinking that it would be risky for two riders to ride through them at the same time. With some planning on our part, I could ride through them first, while my wife stops short and puts her hand under her "jacket", they'll be watching both of us. If I make it through, then I stop, put my hand under my "jacket" and wait for her to pass through safely. This way we've thrown off their timing, and covering each others backs. There's a lot of and's, if's, and but's in this, but I think you get the gist of this idea. The worst tactic.

As I mentioned previously, riding in groups, and at a "safe" time of day with radar on will go a long way in preventing a BG encounter. Unfortunately bike riding can make you pretty vulnerable. Surely a u-turn away from the BG's is the safest tactic, the other previously mentioned tactics are last ditch ideas if we find ourselves in the middle of an "ambush". I'd be glad to hear some more ideas.

I've added a picture here with an additional idea. :image035 Am I printing any?
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

your idea will just get you hurt more ;-). I regularly ride my bike, and not always in the best areas of town. One advantage you have is that you are faster on bike (if they are on foot) and you can evade danger. Make sure you drive "casually", in particular as you see danger, to give you the ability to "kick it up a notch" and escape. Also, driving slower you have a better change to spot traps (e.g. wires).

I wouldn't try to draw and fire while riding. I think your accuracy will be bad and who knows what you will be hitting. May be worth trying some time (if you can find a range that will let you).

Couple other ideas:
    A fanny pack may work well to carry. Try to avoid SOB or 3/9 oClock as the gun may hurt you badly as you fall in this case. Maybe this is a case where an ankle holster works (haven't tried that yet).

What clothing do you wear while riding? Tight biker pants/shirts are almost impossible for concealing anything.

I ride about 250 miles per week on my bike (Trek 800, about 5 years old) and I carry my Glock 23 every time I ride. I wear it OWB at about 4 o'clock under an over sized tank top. It may print a little but with the wind and moving around as I peddle, no one has ever noticed. No big deal.

An ankle holster will not work on a bike. Trust me, it isn't even worth thinking about.

Fanny pack is an option, it's a slow draw but it is an option. So is pocket carry or a snubbie revolver. I wear cargo shorts when I ride so I can carry my cell phone, flash light, knife, and other survival gear. Avoid typical biker wear like spandex. Spandex is for professional riders, not me. I am not trying to be cool like some of the twits I see riding in groups of 80 or more in their bike clubs. I am riding for my health and to maintain my fitness level. A tank top and cargo shorts are fine and much, much more functional than spandex.

Get out there and have some fun. Biking is one of the best forms of exercise out there. Stay alert and stay out of trouble.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This concerns me as well, because the weather is better now and Im about to start riding myself. I never ride with anyone else, and I prefer to ride at night.

That was my OLD neighborhood... This one I see people out all hours of the night and it worries me a bit.

I really don't ride on trails much, its more in the street so I can generally have a good field of view to watch for people and avoid them by switching to the other side of the road.

I would think you riding seperated by a bit would be the best option, to cover eachother like you said. Either that, or don't ride on trails where you think you'll be vulnerable for attack unless you're with a group.

I always CCW when I am out hiking alone as you are a long way from help. I also like the idea of a fanny pack in this situation, normally I don't want anyone to know that I am carrying, but in your scenario, a black fanny pack that screams gun just might be enough of a deterrent that a group like that might think twice before molesting you. Even if it doesn't, it would probably give you better access to your gun while you were seated on your bicycle. A lot people also equate a black fanny pack with off duty police officers, mess with one of them and the other cops take it awful personal!
    God bless our troops!

I ride primarily on country roads, although I'm considering commuting to work on the bicycle, which will take me through a couple of bad parts of town.

I have a fanny pack purchased at a gun show about 8 years ago. It has all the usual compartments for DL, cell phone and keys, but there's a tab on the edge that, when grabbed and pulled, opens another part where a holster is secured by velcro. I'll check tonight for a brand name & see fi I can figure out how to post a pic. The rig comfortably holds a Taurus 85 alloy snubbie.

Fixed blade midline. If someone knocks you down for a boot party, you're closer to all kinds of attractive things to stick. Dogs don't like being slashed on the snout either. Works well either way, as long as you have reasonable flexibility.

I ride quite a bit. I carry every time. I have two ways I carry when riding and I'm not completely happy with either but they are both better than nothing.

When riding casually in street clothes, I sometimes carry like normal: IWB at about 4 o'clock. Yes, this might be a problem in a fall and I feel like it prints like crazy depending on what I'm wearing. With my holster, I'm not too afraid of my gun falling out but anything is possible so I worry about it some. I like carrying this way because drawing is easy and natural.

Otherwise, I carry my maxpedition fatboy versipack. The great thing about it is that it isn't obvious that I'm carrying a gun in it, I can keep some extra gear in it like first aid, bike chain/lock, phone, money, &c. I made a reflective strip that fits on the velcro part of the outside to offer a little more visibility. I just hate carrying off of my body and drawing from the bag is tricky and I imagine might be problematic under stress.

As far as safety, I agree that riding at least in pairs is a good idea. I don't think speeding up when passing people is a good idea. If they plan to knock you off your bike, they will. Going faster will only make things worse (IMHO).

I recommend:

- When passing people, ride at a pace that allows you to maneuver, fall somewhat gracefully, and otherwise react to whatever they do.

- Be alert when stopped at an intersection. Watch out for stopped cars with open windows and pedestrians milling around. Position yourself in the lane to distance yourself from any such dangers. I usually pivot my maxpedition around so that it is in front of me instead of behind when at stops.

- Ignore rude drivers. They might honk or yell mean things but don't play into it.

- Be prepared. Between me and my wife, we usually have at least one gun, at least one cellphone, knife, OC spray, first aid kit with road rash supplies, in addition to our normal bike parts. The maxpedition bag makes this easy.

The Florida Bicycle Association teaches road riding courses that include obstacle avoidance techniques. With the Road 1 course, you spend a whole day doing drills like emergency stops and emergency turns. I highly recommend at least practicing some of this on your own if not taking a similar class. You might be able to use these to avoid people as well as other vehicles.

A final neat thing: Quickclot sells a road rash kit that has the powder in pouch that is meant to be used topically. I bet the pouch can be opened to be poured on deep wounds.

I pretty much always carry my Glock 26 with me in a fanny pouch. If I see someone on the trail, I just pass around them. If I ever notice there on an interceptor course, I’d speed up and flee, turn around.

If they nail you out of no ware. You’re pretty much screwed, and you’ll have to fight to get to your feet, and draw.

What this all boils down to is a pistol is only part of the answer to self defense. You must be able to see situations arising and avoid them, and be able defend yourself hand to hand, until you can get some distance and draw.

If your riding with someone else, like your wife. When passing other people I like your idea of space between ya. But by no means give a gesture or show that you’re armed.

Thanks for the post

If your state allows carrying a "sap" or similar weapon, under your license to carry firearms, which this state does, I would advise having something like that on you in order to counteract any attack short of shooting them.
    Instead of avoiding predators it would be very nice to see them get their due from an innocent cyclist.
    So besides the firearm, maybe some other useful object to give them a good whack with as they attack you.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    If they nail you out of no ware. You’re pretty much screwed, and you’ll have to fight to get to your feet, and draw.
    Should you actually get up first? If necessary, I would draw and shoot while still down . (maybe turn around of course).

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

I've added a picture here with an additional idea. :image035 Am I printing any?

I don't think anybody would notice that. Be kinda hard to draw real fast, but once you get it out, problem solved.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

It's very easy to have a can of pepper spray in your hand while your hand is on the handlebar. If the group takes on an aggressive posture as you approach, simply make the spray more visible. You can spray the whole group quickly (just don't ride into the cloud!) and then move to a more absolute weapon if the threat still exists. Chances are, it won't.

I was thinking along the same lines in my earlier post. Good idea. Because while the gun might or might not be overdoing it, the pepper spray would not be overdoing it, that and/or other weapons. But to avoid these people? Sure, we can do that, but they learn nothing from it and it is important to see them walk away or crawl away having learned something.
    They are predators, used to having their way with the world. They are never, ever expecting innocent citizens to put them in their correct places, so you always have the tactical advantage.
    Surrounded and outnumbered, Marine Col Lewis Puller: "Good! We finally got 'em where we want 'em!" (Korea, 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I ride about 250 miles per week on my bike (Trek 800, about 5 years old) and I carry my Glock 23 every time I ride. I wear it OWB at about 4 o'clock under an over sized tank top. It may print a little but with the wind and moving around as I peddle, no one has ever noticed. No big deal.
    WOW!!!!

250mi a week (50mi/day) on a Trek 800, in hilly TN is a full-time job! When I raced cat 2 on a road bike, I was doing 250-300mi/wk and was on the bike more than anywhere else, except bed. Add to that, street attire and pockets full of heavy, motion restricting gear... VERY impressive!

As stated, you're extremely vulnerable on a bike, regardless of experience level. It only takes enough force to interrupt the gyro effect of the bike, to knock you off it. I have yards of road rash to attest to this fact.

Years ago, I was living on top a mountain in VA. One way up, one way down. An irresponsible resident had a 150lb Rottweiler they allowed to roam free. He stood no chance on the way down the mtn, but when I returned, I could barely maintain 10mph up the mtn and was no match for him. After a few close calls, I bought a little kel-tec and stuck it in my seat bag. No more problems.

In case of human predators, don't take the chance. When you come across a group of unsavory looking characters, STOP! Pretend you're making an adjustment to the bike, or some other benign activity. If the group moves toward you, reach for your weapon. If they continue and get close enough, a firm inquiry as to their business would be in order.

As far as carry, I can't imagine riding for long with a gun on my hip. Just sounds too painful. I'd think that one of those undershirts with the holster under your arm would be the method of choice. A mtn bike jersey with rear pockets might work as well.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun" -St. John of Liverpool

Proud to be an infidel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links