Ambushed in car while drive way, what would you do?

This is a discussion on Ambushed in car while drive way, what would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you ever considered the possibility of being ambushed by armed men after pulling into the drive way, lets us say these men ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambushed in car while drive way, what would you do?

Ambushed in car while drive way, what would you do?

How many of you ever considered the possibility of being ambushed by armed men after pulling into the drive way, lets us say these men targeted you?

I know of 4 cases that happened (2 of them happened to friends and family), one from a fellow forum member over at Georgiapacking, and another happened to someone who lives close by.

Case 1. In Jamaica 30 years ago my uncle pulled up to drive way, man in bush jumps out and points gun at him, he exists (but has Browning Highpower CCed), as man drives away he opens fire with gun but it malfunctioned.

Case 2. Past neighbor and family friend in Jamaica lost life when he pulled up into drive way, 2 men ambush him (one with gun), shot him once in the face (mother had to pronounce him dead and father told me how he looked with a swollen face, he dead instantly), then rifled through his body to find his revolver, then run off into the bush into the slums they came from. They targeted this business man for his gun manly, considering they are very valuable on the street in a country where you literally won't last very long if people know you carry... it's like a death sentence.

LiveLeak.com - Police: Father Protected Family By Shooting Gunmen
    Case 3 (with news coverage above). Local person, pulled up into his drive way after coming from a school function with his family, saw 3 armed men tried to ambush him and he opens fire on them, killing one. Family and father unharmed.

Case 4. Another local person (also a forum member over at Georgia packing and scandekalb) pulled up into his parking spot close to an apartment complex... he sees men 30 yards away around a car, he thought nothing of it, before he could think, within a flash, 3 armed men stick pistols into his face and demand his wallet, though he was armed his gun was in his jacket and fortunately they did not shoot him after he gave up his wallet, but might have been different if they knew he was an armed security guard off duty. There are horror stories of off duty cops etc getting shot after the perp looks through their wallet and finds them out.

Back in Jamaica, my dad, especially after the murder of my neighbor across the street, ALWAYS exited the car with gun IN HAND... and extra precautions were taken at night... for example, he would actually have us walk up the steps of the up hill drive way, while he would drive up first... I believed he did this to give the rest of the family time to run away if he were to be ambushed because no one knew if he would survive such an attach and we would not be in the line of fire.

To me, it's one thing to be walking in a dark ally but it's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT thing to come home, especially if it's late with no witnesses around, to be ambushed... the difference is that EVERYONE has to return home, it is unavoidable and it certainly would be wise to think about such possibilities happened.

What is your opinion of having and exiting with your gun IN HAND, when it came to late nights, having to open front door, garage etc? An unholstered weapon is significantly faster than one holstered, and this is even more true if you were inside a car with little movement. How fast you react to a deadly threat will be of vital importance, increasing your probability in surviving such attacks and the criminals have the advantage of surprise. My friend told me that it literally took NO TIME for those 3 men to over come him from 30 yards away, but that's where awareness comes into play.

2. Remove Ads

I would say that if I lived in the neighborhood you grew up in, I might do just what your father did.

I do think about this. I feel my most vulnerable time is when I am going to work in the morning. I leave around 5 a.m. so it's still dark out and I don't park in my garage, cuz my boats got my parking spot. Anyway, I usually have my briefcase in my left hand and a cup of coffee in my right.

My figuring is that if somebody is lurking outside my house Max will be barking. If for some reason they sneak up on me, well, I'll do the best I can. The current plan is to throw coffee in the face of the nearest attacker, drop/throw briefcase, and draw and fire.

When I come home, I don't have the hot coffee, but it's normally day light out, and the way I pull up to my drive way, there really isn't a way anybody could be hiding outside without me seeing them.

If I come home after dark, I don't open the garage door until I've completely pulled in to my drive way, and my headlights would shine on somebody hiding anywhere in my side yard. If there was an armed threat, I probably wouldn't worry about a gun...I'd probably try to leave an impression of the BG in my garage door. After all, I've got a car, and it's still in gear.

I do agree with you, though. I believe if a BG was waiting for me, my most vulnerable moment is when I am getting into my car, or getting out of my car when coming home.

If it ever happens, I hope they choose the morning over the night. I feel like the scalding coffee would be a huge tactical advantage.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    I would say that if I lived in the neighborhood you grew up in, I might do just what your father did.
    Believe it or not, that neighborhood was an upperclass area (at the bottom of the hill there is a ghetto and many of the street signs have gunshot holes in them!), but with the high murder rate in Jamaica, you could be lower/middle/upperclass and come up to be ambushed by some piece of filth.... and they are VERY brutal down there, the chances of surviving an armed robbery, ambush, assault etc is lower than in the states because criminals in Jamaica kill witnesses... that's why a lot of them walk away if the witness were to live because NO ONE testIFIES against their crimes.

The same is true for South Africa, those guys don't play games and are very brazen and life comes cheap, violent crime down there is very bad.

Here in DeKalb, just letting a LEO know you carry legally will get you cuffed, after they draw guns... they are over worked, under payed, not respected in community (because locals keep blaiming them for shooting the gang bangers and robbers etc)... it's like they are on the edge or something. Today I went to the movies, and I saw a lot of LEOs patrolling the area, so I guess they wanted to make their presents know in the area.... and if this is the case, it can only mean it was the effects if the rising crime rate within the county.

I personally have started to exit with gun in hand at nights, and at days I exit normally and I FEEL MORE VULNERABLE if I were to exit the car, because I can't drive away etc and I have to turn my back to open the garage door and front door, so I have my gun in hand when returning at night.

A flash light is looking valuable under these conditions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    If I come home after dark, I don't open the garage door until I've completely pulled in to my drive way, and my headlights would shine on somebody hiding anywhere in my side yard. .
    When I return home, I can only see the corner of the house, (front and right) but I have to drive past the house to see the other corner, and I can never see the BACK of the yard... so theoretically, when pulling in, assailants could be around the corner that I can't normally see, or at the back... probably they could stay in a position where passing cars won't find them lurking/prowling.

Also, the car is off no use to me when I exit to open garage door because the time taken just to RUN BACK is too much, especially if an attacker (or several attackers) blocked me in.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Another tactic to beware of is where you are targeted and followed home. The attackers will pull in behind you blocking you in your driveway.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Another tactic to beware of is where you are targeted and followed home. The attackers will pull in behind you blocking you in your driveway.
    Forgot about that one, good observation.

You would think this came out of Iraq, but it's a Jamaican gunfight

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    YouTube - Crime In Jamaica
    Gun fight in Jamaica (1980s), when the crime rate was HALF of what it was today, now it's 1400+ dead a year and rising.... their aint much purse snatchers but straight up killers who are well armed and attack like a pack of wolves... the "little guy" as a 38special and the "big man" is running around in body armer and an AK47

Crime in Jamaica (Tivoli Massacre, several days of gun fights with over 50= dead, probably 2x wounded)
    YouTube - Crime In Jamaica

Imagine what it would look like to see a gun man running around with BODY ARMOR and a fully automatic battle rifle? All this is a result of decades of government corruption, where many politicians use the local gunmen (pions) to secure a "garison" on votes in the ghettos.

If you drive close to these ghetto areas, you will actually see gunmen posted on roof tops etc, they do this to react to drive by shootings, where these thugs even target children and locals... just living in the oppositions 'waring" community makes you a target that they think nothing of. The bums on the street know when it's time to huddle up on the steps of the police departments and NOT EVEN THE STREET DOGS come out at night, they learned that not even they were safe because they are used for target practice.

There are bad areas in the States, and DeKalb county has a crime problem, but it's not even 1/2 or even 1/3 as bad as Jamaica... but I sure learned a lot down there... my dad even CARRIED when he went for a swim in the pool and at the beach... that should tell you something.

Well, strike the Jamaican vacation... Sounds like a real 'hell hole' to live in...
    I know that some Southern Florida folks have seen robbries early in the morning that would catch people off guard as they go to work. Reading about it has caused me to let my dogs out first...when I exit in the morning. They immediately 'check out' the front perimeter area. They stay off the neighbors' places...as they seem to understand the boundries. Anyone on the place WILL be noticed...I check out any cars parked nearby...
    Sad days we live in... Reading about those events has made me more aware of the possibilities.

Stay armed...stay cognizant...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I have a very good view of both sides of the house upon driving up to the driveway. My front bushes are cut very short, no hiding. I know all my neighbors, their vehicles, kids, etc. I have a very powerful LED flashlight if needed. Oh yeah, and my CCW weapon. I guess it doesn't hurt that my neighbor is a cop & parks his marked squad car in his driveway at random times during the night hours. We have keys for eachother houses. We also have a reciprocity agreement between us. If gunshots are heard next door, don't wait for an invite, come on over.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I leave the house with my 1911 in it holster unsnapped under my left arm, cooler in my left hand and drink in my right. I can see out the front window and the side where the door is. This town doesn't have that kind of problem - yet. My apartment in Florida, however, was a different story. I lived upstairs and couldn't see my truck until I got to the ground floor. My 1911 was in my strong hand until my truck was in motion. Scary times we live in and with spiraling gas prices and food prices going nuts (no pun intended), it's only going to get worse. We've already had some vandalism with our company trucks and stealing gas overnight.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Then they better hope their car / truck is stronger then the small block chevy in mine. Casue it's instant reverse which is the power gear and push them back out into the road, while damaging the vital front area of their car/truck with the non vital rear area of mine.

All you need is enough room to allow you to turn a bit to either.

A: Drive away to safety

or

B: Turn car sideways so you can roll out of the seat and it's between you and them giving you vital time and a defensive postion behind the car.

Trust me if you suddenly ram their car / truck with yours to the floor they will go from offensive mode to defensive mode instantly which will give you the upper hand.

VIP Member
    This scenario is the one which actually concerns me the most. Once, I drove into my driveway (and I live in a really nice neighborhood) and as I turned my engine off and turned to the left window to open the door I realized two hispanic men were right on the door. It turned out they were O.K. and it was legit sort of; they wanted to buy a truck I had in my driveway. But, the surprised and scared the h out of me.

I'm a lot more conscious of what goes on in the driveway than before.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I have a very good view of both sides of the house upon driving up to the driveway. My front bushes are cut very short, no hiding. I know all my neighbors, their vehicles, kids, etc. I have a very powerful LED flashlight if needed. Oh yeah, and my CCW weapon. I guess it doesn't hurt that my neighbor is a cop & parks his marked squad car in his driveway at random times during the night hours. We have keys for eachother houses. We also have a reciprocity agreement between us. If gunshots are heard next door, don't wait for an invite, come on over.
    Man, that's a good neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I leave the house with my 1911 in it holster unsnapped under my left arm, cooler in my left hand and drink in my right. I can see out the front window and the side where the door is. This town doesn't have that kind of problem - yet. My apartment in Florida, however, was a different story. I lived upstairs and couldn't see my truck until I got to the ground floor. My 1911 was in my strong hand until my truck was in motion. Scary times we live in and with spiraling gas prices and food prices going nuts (no pun intended), it's only going to get worse. We've already had some vandalism with our company trucks and stealing gas overnight.
    I heard those reports on the news, about how people are stealing gas from parked cars late at night... man, talk about desperate!

What's gona happen if gas was $6/gal then?

Since I live in a relatively rural area, it is something I think about and practice from time to time. Occassionally I will run drills from the moment my car gets put in park, get out, and move to cover with gun drawn. This includes having to shoot through my car, or around it.

There have been a few times where someone will run up behind me extremely close as I'm getting ready to turn into my driveway (left-hand turn)...which just sets my bells ringing. One time, I ran my drill, only to have the previous owner of the house pull up behind me unexpectedly. After he calmed down, he asked me if we could go to the range and teach him to shoot.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links