Home Invasion... Excessive Force????

This is a discussion on Home Invasion... Excessive Force???? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lately there have been alot of home invasions, and seems like the trend is only going up. One of the last ones I read about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Invasion... Excessive Force????

Lately there have been alot of home invasions, and seems like the trend is only going up. One of the last ones I read about was FIVE invaders.

Here is my question for you fellas/ladies. If your home were invaded, and you were able to post up at the top of your staircase in a defensive position while significant other handles 911. Would using an AK47 type weapon with a 40 round magazine be considered excessive?

Considering you would be at the top of the stairs I would think the angle of fire would definitely reduce the likely hood of a round going anywhere
    but toward the BG's and the ground. Reducing the risk of injuring innocents.

Of course. In that situation you should dial 911, and let the police save you... right?

I'd suggest you have another 40rd mag or two laying by your side just in case. My "home-defense" weapon is a 12.5" BBL'd AR-15 with a suppressor, 30rd mag, +1 in the chamber, and an extra 30rd mag in a redi-mag bolted to the side of the rifle.

Let's see, 5 BF's break in your front door, you have an AK at the top of the stairs ... I don't see any problem... at least in Texas or any other gun friendly state.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

No such thing as excessive force in this case. Got Hand grenades? SAW? RPGs? Use 'em!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

YMMV, but you are going to sit before a jury of your peers almost certainly in most places. If for no other reason than the weapon you chose.

I say this with a 18.5 inch Mossberg loaded with #4 then 00 buck with more 00 and slugs on the stock, and a M&P15T loaded along with my XD all within easy reach. In my apartment there IS no retreat. The front door opens into it and retreating into the bathroom merely puts a inside door and thin wall between me and anyone invading. I have accepted the fact that I may be in trouble for using it, but I will hopefully be alive to be judged.

Whether something is "excessive" or not is going to depend on the local prosecuting attorney.

No matter where you live, something other than a so called "Assault Rifle" will be perceived as less "threatening" to the sheeple. I myself would use my Pump Action 12 Guage if I was in a "defensive position" at the top of the stairs. I'd probably go to the 9mm Carbine next, but that's just me.

Your thinking, about where the rounds may go is good. +1 "You're accountable for every round you fire, and each round has a lawyer attatched to it," as Clint Smith says.

Biker

If 5 BGs break into my house...AR will be the 1st thing I grab. If I run it dry, then I'll move to the shotguns....then to the 1911s.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Actually I do keep an AK with a 40 rd mag handy...I don't think of it as excessive.
    Excessive is FIVE home invaders wreaking damage on my home and children.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    Actually I do keep an AK with a 40 rd mag handy...I don't think of it as excessive.
    So do I. I also keep the SPX loaded with 8 rounds 00 Buck. Just havent added a side saddle to the SPX yet, so all I have is the 8 in it.

5BGs at entry are between me and the kids.

Split level entry, kids downstairs, master suite is up. If they get past the entry to the down side of the stairs, things go south in a hurry.

Colorado law "... recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes." Follow the rules (they make sense) and you're immune from civil and criminal prosecution (that makes sense). You can read more at Michie's Legal Resources [linked from the official Colorado Gov't website]

5BGs at O-god-early means I might be doing some reloading in the middle of a poopstorm. Having something in a large caliber, large capacity during this massive home invasion would seem only prudent, IMHO.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    Lately there have been alot of home invasions, and seems like the trend is only going up. One of the last ones I read about was FIVE invaders.

Here is my question for you fellas/ladies. If your home were invaded, and you were able to post up at the top of your staircase in a defensive position while significant other handles 911. Would using an AK47 type weapon with a 40 round magazine be considered excessive?

Considering you would be at the top of the stairs I would think the angle of fire would definitely reduce the likely hood of a round going anywhere
    but toward the BG's and the ground. Reducing the risk of injuring innocents.

There are more burglaries involving multiple perps, than there was in the past... there is one video on liveleak that had 7! The guy was some VIP of some sort, took up a skank and she called up her "home boys" by giving them directions.... then when they rang the door bell, the home owner had a gun in his face and 6 of this thug friends behind him.

Some times the thugs use an attractive woman to ring door bells, claiming how they need a phone, when the door opens... she will innocently walk threw, followed by her thug friends. This happened 3 years ago close to my old Baltimore neighborhood... one victim was gang raped too.

If my place of residence was broken into, I would not expect the perps to stay and engage in a gunfight... most of the time they will run like crazy to get out, unless their minds were withered away by drugs or something... I don't see why a 12guage can't deal with these people... I hear it's the most feared weapon by criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    YMMV, but you are going to sit before a jury of your peers almost certainly in most places. If for no other reason than the weapon you chose.
    You don't to go as far as an AK... with all these TV shows, if you used a 44mag, 10mm or some thing along those lines (or a high cap Glock), some moronic antigun DA is gona use you for political reasons.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    If a bad guy(s) breaks into someones home, there is no such thing as excessive force for the homeowner IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasSIG View Post
    One of the last ones I read about was FIVE invaders.

[If] you were able to post up at the top of your staircase in a defensive position while significant other handles 911. Would using an AK47 type weapon with a 40 round magazine be considered excessive?
    Absolutely not a problem, IMO.

A.O.J.: Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy.

Home invasion is one of the most-violent, rapidly moving situations there is. If lethal force is justified (as a home invasion is), then it doesn't really matter whether it's with a brick, your fingers, a knife, a lamp, a pistol or an "AK" (oooooooh, big, black, eeeeeevil weapon that it is). Stopped is stopped, basically, even if that involves the death of the BG(s). Doesn't much matter how you stop a violent, lethal attack against you and your family.

Now, that being said, there are some barbarous locales that will string you up for the attempt, particularly if they deem it "too much" (whatever that is). Hope that you don't live in such a place. It's your LIFE that you're speaking of, and the lives of your family members. It's worth an energetic defense in the case where someone is trying to take it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSal View Post
    What he said

(except I've only got a 30-rounder in my AK)
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links