How to clear a building with a firearm

This is a discussion on How to clear a building with a firearm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I suspect a building needs to be cleared I get on the phone and have the uniformed LEO's do it. I have walked through ...

View Poll Results: Who has cleared their house looking for bad guys

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never and I don't think you should every search by yourself

24 12.97%
  • Only when training

30 16.22%
  • When I suspected or new that something was wrong

84 45.41%
  • Never but I think you should practice

47 25.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to clear a building with a firearm

If I suspect a building needs to be cleared I get on the phone and have the uniformed LEO's do it.

I have walked through my house looking to see if anything is "wrong", but if I know the building needs to be cleared I'll let the uniformed guys handle it. It would really suck to be shot in civilian clothes by an Officer that didn't know who I was.

The reason for using the uniform guys and gals is because the uniform makes them instantly identifiable. Anybody else with a gun doesn't belong there.

Also, clearing buildings is not fun, and really ratchets up the stress level as it is very dangerous. No, I don't care to do this without support.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by willysonday View Post

What would a jury say if they found out you knew your house had been broken into, yet you went in anyways and ended up shooting a BG? I bet you'd be convicted of manslaughter because you had the common sense option of calling the cops and letting them handle it, but you chose to be a vigilante instead.
    Not in Florida!

Still not a good idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not even cops like clearing buildings,if you can defend a corridor or room and you think you have intruders call the cops,you would be surprised the places people can ambush you from
    Yep.

There is little reason to clear ones own home, when they can simply flee out a door or window and dial 911 to do the job instead and properly.
    If you had to fight to get to your loved ones that is one thing though even then you likely would know where they are located. In that case go toward the path of most resistance because it is not likely the place or positioning where persons unfamiliar to your homes layout will go to lie in wait.

Agreed with Cthulu too, get pro training on this be it a day or low/reduced light based skill set.
    Home owners get owned doing this clear my own home or I heard something in the backyard let me go check on it type stuff with regularity.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    I will only clear a building when I have no other choice, and I perfer to use High Explosives if I can.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It sounds like almost everyone is saying the same thing.

For me it depends on the situation. If I came home and I saw that someone had broken in, I would get back in my truck and call the police. I'll let them deal with it. Now, if there were a bumb in the night, I would grab my HD gun and light and go see what it was. Just my $0.02.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

a few months ago my dad randomly barked at something outside my door in the middle of the night when i was home alone, and she only barks at people or other animals in the house. it was before my 21st birthday and all i had was my browning buckmark .22 lol, but i cleared the house and went back to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I answered this poll on the assumption that I was at home and something went 'bump' in the night. Personally, if I came home from someplace and found my door kicked-in, I'm not even going to set foot in the place without a police officer. Some might disagree but whatever.

I've done some building clearing exercises in live-fire environments and have played the 'bump in the night' during FoF engagements. Really, it should be practiced by everyone. If you have the money and the means, then live-fire should be practiced as well. There is no good excuse not to. Especially if you are serious about self-defense. I think RamRod hit the nail on the head here with his remarks to that effect.. even if I'm not a fan of light/laser combos. But that's personal preference.

Kenpo had a great post as well. Great info, there!
    I agree... the only time I would look around was if I heard a strange suspicious noise... but if I felt someone was definitely in the house (like seeing a window broken, door kicked in) I would keep myself in a locked room with my weapon at the ready while I call 911... if I came home and saw signs of burglary, there is no way I am going inside. Criminals have the advantage of surprise so what advantage does one have in going inside not knowing where or how many criminals are inside? Sounds almost suicidal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by willysonday View Post
    What would a jury say if they found out you knew your house had been broken into, yet you went in anyways and ended up shooting a BG? I bet you'd be convicted of manslaughter because you had the common sense option of calling the cops and letting them handle it, but you chose to be a vigilante instead.

Many states like Florida respect a homeowner’s right to protect ones property, and give them broad discretion under the castle doctrine law.

Now I would agree with you if the bullet holes are in the BG’s back, you might have a hard time convincing the Cops that you had no choice but to protect yourself.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I think it's a skill set worth developing, but actually clearing a building by yourself should be avoided if at all possible.

Even with your own superior knowledge of the environment, a BG in your building becomes the DEFENDER, along with all of the advantages that come with that, as soon as he's aware that someone is looking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

Now I would agree with you if the bullet holes are in the BG’s back, you might have a hard time convincing the Cops that you had no choice but to protect yourself.
    If he's in the house uninvited in FL, it doesn't matter if the holes are in the bottom of his feet!

I luv Florida!

One thing about the stay put and call 911 stuff that bothers me. I think it creates a whole culture of waiting for someone else to take care of it for you.

A good hurricane or other natural disaster will cause power outages and tie up the police and may make them unreachable for you. It's also a time when I might have to defend my family and property.

My point is that somebody else like the police, Fire department, EMTs, plumber, or whatever trained profession you come to rely on will not always be minutes away, and in some of the rural places I have lived they are at best a 1/2 hour plus away.

IMHO the average citizen, living the city, suburban or rural lifestyle needs to be thinking more about self reliant action plans. Use professionals when you can, but also be able to do things yourself when you have to.

Been their, done that.

Took a class in 2005 on CQB; in 2007 I had to respond to a break in at my office at 3 AM and helped clear the building with the police. (I know, they weren't supposed to let me do that, but I knew the layout and volunteered...false alarm.)

CQB sucks in training and is worse in real life, even with nobody shooting at you.

I'd rather throw a molotov cocktail in and shoot them while they run screaming as they are on fire.

Don't do CQB unless you have to...but unfortunatly, you may need to fight your way to your family, or fight your way out of a building with your family, so you had better know how it is done.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    One thing about the stay put and call 911 stuff that bothers me. I think it creates a whole culture of waiting for someone else to take care of it for you.
    Among the things i used to do for a living is clear buildings . Even doing it a few times a week i never really felt competent . I will stand by my original post in that one needs to have a basic plan of what to do with all partys in the house , and how to manage them if things go to crap come 3 am . No matter who does it , all partys who need protected need to be taken to one room , and from there the option of defend or leave needs to be made . You do need building clearing skills for this reason . You dont want to start your own little business clearing buildings if you can help it . Searching a building for a party is not rocket science , it however is slow and dangerous. It requires a level of concentration that does not involve what may be broken/missing that you as a homeowner may not and likely cannot apply . ( the officer(s) who clear your house could care less about what is broken/missing so he/she pays no attention to that ) . Your duty and your only duty is to make your family safe , If they are in a car when you drive up your duty is done , call it inn and let LE do it . If you are awoken during sleep well as i said get everyone in one place and call it in . Use every advantage you can to do that . Hopefully you wont have to shoot anyone on the way , and if you do remember they broke into your house , talk to your lawyer first . Learn how to clear a house , and use it to safe your family/visitors only . Then get to hell out if you can .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    With the police

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links