How to clear a building with a firearm

This is a discussion on How to clear a building with a firearm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't vote in the Poll because there wasn't a correct answer for me. When I was a LEO I cleared buildings with other officers, ...

View Poll Results: Who has cleared their house looking for bad guys

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never and I don't think you should every search by yourself

24 12.97%
  • Only when training

30 16.22%
  • When I suspected or new that something was wrong

84 45.41%
  • Never but I think you should practice

47 25.41%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to clear a building with a firearm

VIP Member
    I didn't vote in the Poll because there wasn't a correct answer for me.

When I was a LEO I cleared buildings with other officers, and never alone, so I could if I had to but... unless I have to, and that's very unlikely, I'll let the boys in blue do what they are trained and equipped to do!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

So here is the Question, If you call police and they don't show up, do you clear the building? If one lives in the sticks, the sherriff may or may not show up.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    So here is the Question, If you call police and they don't show up, do you clear the building?
    NOPE , once i have the safety of my family in hand i dont go explore for any reason . If its the house in question ill come back in the morning and see what if anything is left . I have cleared enough buildings to know that almost all the time there is no one there , however i have also cleared enough to know about the times there is someone there . I can in fact show you the bullet holes in the house i live in now ( not made by me or any ad rather made by a person with a rifle and an ill intent thro the purchace process , yes he lived , yes he was arrested and charged ) . Simply put i think everyone should have the skill set , and everyone should use it to safeguard family , beyond that i think that clearing buildings is best left to a team that is currently trained .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I have not had to clear my whole house. Just the garage, and basement. Both times they where false alarms. Nothing that would have warranted calling the cops before searching.

My training kicked in, and went to work. After it was over I thought wow, train like you fight is more than a saying.

Is it dangerous heck ya it is! There could be a time when you must clear by your self, and knowledge is power. I will give you the best edge possible.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I don't see a reason for ME in my current home to try to clear it. Me, the wife and the dog are in the bedroom. Anyone else in the house is a BG. I have a clear line of fire down the hall from a mostly concealed position in the bedroom.

Now...from wasting time on video games and whatnot I have a question. Your clearing a building and come up on two doors, both open, directly across from each other. You can't clear one without exposing yourself to the other...now what.
    I always got wasted in Rainbow Six in that setup.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I agree with much of which has already been said:

Its not tied to concealed carry.

Its not something to be undertaken if you do not have to.

It is something which if you have to do it, then it pays to know how; more so than many other skill sets.

Because... it is more complicated, and subsequently dangerous, than holing up and waiting.
    God, country, family.

Have had to 'clear' my house twice......luckly it was 'nothing' both times.
    I have practiced clearing my home, but only when the family is not home and I've got the 'run' of the place.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So how about an OC grenade? Bet the residue is tough to clean up though!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Dun, off topic, but hear is my answer to your video game question. This scenario you described about not being able to clear one threat without exposing yourself to another one, is a real problem. One that you will encounter if you search a lot of building(for real or in video games). Which is one of the reasons it is not a good idea to search by yourself. However there is a solution. Sort of.

The perfect solution is to bring more people. Not always an option in real life or during the game. My solution is, "If you cant use stealth, go dynamic." I have used this many times in police work.

In your scenario my answer is try and use stealth and tactics if you cant, the best tactic is to run into one of the rooms. By doing this you are getting out of the fatal funnel. Not a perfect option but sometimes necessary.

You don't have an option for my answer.

My answer:

When something is fishy, but I don't know that someone is in the house.

If I know someone is in the house I protect my family while waiting for the police.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    If he's in the house uninvited in FL, it doesn't matter if the holes are in the bottom of his feet!

I luv Florida!
    Oh, so true....

I was thinking conservatively, when I said the wholes should be on the front side of the BG, who broke into your house.

Humm, I wonder that since you saved the state the cost of 5-10 years of incarceration and a court hearing if they would pay for the cost of clean up.

Got to love the Bikini state

I would only clear the house if my family was in immediate danger, otherwise, let the Police do it. I am not going to be standing trial, even if I was right.
    Member: NRA & GSSF
    Glock Certified Armorer
    *Oderint Dum Metuant*
    "You don't shoot to kill.... You shoot to survive."

Unhappy clearing a building

.. wow, I had a dream about this very subject just last night!

I'm walking along the corridor to the entrance door of my appartment with a lady friend. We're chatting away, and as she reaches her right hand up to place the key into the door, she turns her head, laughs and says something to me.

At the exact same instant, my eyes follow her right hand to the lock and see that there's a gap between the door and the frame. The door is ajar. I know for a fact that we locked it when we left. Some 'sixth sense' of hers guesses that there's something wrong, and she turns to the door, at the same instant as I'm grabbing her shoulder with my left hand, and pulling her back along the corridor away from the door. With my right hand, I'm unholstering and pointing at the door.

We get to the stairs and hi-tail it down, as she's taking out her phone and dialling 911.

No way are we going into that appartment before the boys in blue have checked it out.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Considering my daughter sleeps at the other end of the house, I will be going for her. I have practiced going through my whole house in the dark.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links