How to clear a building with a firearm

This is a discussion on How to clear a building with a firearm within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many here think that developing the ability to properly conduct a building search of your home is something that your dedicated concealed carry holder ...

View Poll Results: Who has cleared their house looking for bad guys

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never and I don't think you should every search by yourself

24 12.97%
  • Only when training

30 16.22%
  • When I suspected or new that something was wrong

84 45.41%
  • Never but I think you should practice

47 25.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to clear a building with a firearm

How to clear a building with a firearm

How many here think that developing the ability to properly conduct a building search of your home is something that your dedicated concealed carry holder should develop?

I know the first response I will get is that, "You never search alone!" While this is good in theory, it is not always a reality. Thoughts?

I know that many people here are well trained on conducting these searches but I am adding this web page for those who have no idea. This is not necessarily the best techniques, but it is pretty good and the best web page I could find.

How to Clear a Building With a Firearm - wikiHow

2. Remove Ads

How many here think that developing the ability to properly conduct a building search of your home is something that your dedicated concealed carry holder should develop?
    I really don't see a correlation between the dedicated concealed carry holder and conducting a dedicated building search of one's home. Anyone intent on self preservation, or that of loved ones and/or family members should practice this. I do most of my training for this in the darkness of night. I'm also a fan of the home defense gun having an attached light, or light/laser combo and learning to use those tools to save one's life or others.

+1

This was posed as a question, don't know if their was any confusion, but I totally agree with you.

[discaimer]I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to play swat-team when you come home and find your door kicked open. [/disclaimer]

That said, I think it's an important skill to have in case you find yourself forced to move around in your house (getting to the kids, getting into the safe room, getting out of the house, whatever) when you have reason to believe that there is a threat present.

here are a series of photo-progression demonstrations by SouthNarc. The term he uses here is "Armed Movement In Structures" (you have to register for the forum but there is a ton of great info)

A.M.I.S. Primer

A.M.I.S. 1 Corridor movement and managing danger areas

A.M.I.S. 2 Stairwell Problems
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Not even cops like clearing buildings,if you can defend a corridor or room and you think you have intruders call the cops,you would be surprised the places people can ambush you from
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I answered this poll on the assumption that I was at home and something went 'bump' in the night. Personally, if I came home from someplace and found my door kicked-in, I'm not even going to set foot in the place without a police officer. Some might disagree but whatever.

I've done some building clearing exercises in live-fire environments and have played the 'bump in the night' during FoF engagements. Really, it should be practiced by everyone. If you have the money and the means, then live-fire should be practiced as well. There is no good excuse not to. Especially if you are serious about self-defense. I think RamRod hit the nail on the head here with his remarks to that effect.. even if I'm not a fan of light/laser combos. But that's personal preference.

Kenpo had a great post as well. Great info, there!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I'm of the opinion that this type of knowledge REALLY needs to be gained from professional instruction by experienced teachers, and NOT from the Web...ESPECIALLY not from a Wiki site.

Just my two yen...

-JT

Never had to of my own house… Thanks God

But I have had to at friends or relatives houses who where out of town, and I use to watch after my dad’s business.

One time, I dropped by a friends house, who I knew was going to be out of town for several months, and found a man sleeping on the living room floor. He had built a fire, and was sleeping next to it. I held him at 45 Colt Combat commander point and called the cops. A local CPD Cop showed up 10 minutes later, and arrested the guy. Then the officer said “thanks now you’re making the City pay for this freeloader a place to stay”. I responded with “so would you have preferred I shoot him”?

However today, I am now older and a little wiser, and the last time, this happen I took position behind a tree with Glock in hand, called the sheriffs department, and watched the only exit door.

When the Leo’s arrived they came to the same conclusion I did, and called for backup; AKA a trained dog to go flush the BG’s out.

However, if I hear a noise in my house, in the middle of the night, I am going to investigate, and deal with the intruder.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have had many years of training in this and still teach it. But given the option of not having to do it........I'll pass. Its hard to do by yourself and you need a trained partner to do it right. I have had friends and neighbors that know I was an LEO; call me from time to time if they thought someone is or was in their house. I will NOT do a search. Let the LEOs on duty do the search. You don't want to be sneaking around your house or your neighbors house if the local LEO have been called in. It is a slow process. I would only search my house if my family was seperated and I was trying to get them out to safety. The BG may not remain still and also be searching. My nickels worth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I did my own home, but only because I was left with no other alternative (I was in Cond white). I didn't realize there had been an intruder until after I was already inside the house after coming home from work for the day. I cleared myself safe passage out and then used the phone to call the cavalry.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Many people will claim that it's difficult and potentially dangerous to clear your house......and to a certain extent, they're right. Where I disagree is with the assertion that doing so is only a job for the police.

There are a couple of different scenarios that might result in having to clear your house and in some, the right course of action would be to call the police and in some it isn't.

Say you're coming home from a family outing expecting to find your house as you left it.....locked and empty. Instead, you pull into the driveway and notice that the front door is open and the window next to it is broken. Time to stay out of the house and call the police.

Now say you wake up to an unidentified "bump in the night". The wind is blowing a bit so it could have been some debris blown against a window or an overhanging tree limb hitting the roof, or, more unlikely an intruder. If you opt to call the police to come out and find out which it was, I'll bet that you don't need to do that too many times before your response time begins to suffer. Beyond that though.....on the chance that there is an intruder, my daughter sleeps on the other side of the house from us. I'm not going to hunker down in my bedroom and hope that the police arrive in time to prevent something bad from happening to her. I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure that she's safe.......and I'll bet every one of you out there feel the same way.

So, should you know how to safely clear your house? Yes. Should you do so every time? No, but neither is it realistic to pick up the phone and call the police for every bump in the night.........at least IMHO.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If you, or your family are not at risk then get out and let the police clear it . Recognizing that you may be woke up by a noise and need to get the kids ( forget the pets , no one who breaks in is really interested in them ) to a safe place ( which may be out , or your bedroom , or whatever ) You should learn to clear a building at least to the point that you can go from your bedroom to the kids bedroom(s) and back to your room . There are different thoughts on the whole process mostly dealing with light and light discipline and i will not say what is right . For myself i am old school , I learned this stuff with one hand holding a flashlight and besides i dont own a pistol with a " tac rail " . I will use light discipline only lighting up a target as needed , I know my house better than anyone and can walk it in the dark , the fella who broke in likely cannot . I will use sound discipline both by being quiet , and starting the clock radio to radio in our bedroom ( my eyes are my main tools , his ears are his since he dont know the house and i want cover noise for when i move by starting the radio he cannot even hear my door open , the wife waits in our room with her defensive gun ( a night sighted Browning hp that she carried as an LE ) and calls 911 . I if possible take myself to the rooms where the grankids may be , collect them and return to our bedroom , once i have the kids in hand so to speak sound restrictions go out the window, i announce that its me and i am coming thro the door repeatedly at the top of my lungs . Once i have the kids safe with the wife and I we either go out the window or just hunker down and wait on the officers depending on the read of the situation at the time , if there is violence heard ( pulling the microwave off the counter , dumping drawers , cussing ect.. audible to us we will leave NOW by any means we can ) .

Note that i am a former LE who has searched hundreds of buildings thousands of times ( alarmed buildings you search a lot upside other buildings ) , and i say LEARN at least one technique of clearing a building so that you can do what you need to do . You don't need to become an " urban warfare professional " you need to learn how to get the kids safe , do that , and then hand the risks off to the folk who hopefully actually train for it . IMHO clearing a building is both the 2nd most dangerous thing you can take on as LE and one of the most common calls ( domestic disputes ranks higher on both danger and common factor ) .

Like stated i am old school i clear with a flashlight and a pistol , not a tac light and an ar . I have not trained with tac lights as of now and while i can see some advantages frankly they dont outweigh the advantages that i have at short range by separating the gun and the light , but then i worked hard to get viable flashlight / gun techniques and that may color my ideas .

Clear what you have to for your family's safety . If you dont have to do it then dont . If i drive up and my door is swinging open well the cops will go in before me . My family is safe , the wife and i will watch it on the two corner idea and we will await the LE . For one thing anyone who was in there likely left prints and i want them `convicted if and when we find them , My treading over a crime scene only hurts this . If i am home invaded well everyone gets firsts , and then ill serve seconds as needed .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Living on a farm, clearing a building doesn't mean just the house. Sometimes one hears noises in the barn or out building. It could be a person or an animal, walking in "in condition white" on a mountain lion or bear not cool.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Living on a farm, clearing a building doesn't mean just the house. Sometimes one hears noises in the barn or out building. It could be a person or an animal, walking in "in condition white" on a mountain lion or bear not cool.
    I farm , and yes you can hear crap not in the house , normally this is taken care of by shooting into the air ( or ground depending on your location and population ) with the biggest gun you have , be it coon or reprobate this generally encourages them to leave . The barn being away from the house wont encorage anyone to come hunt an armed person . thiefs as a rule are a different criminal from the home invasion fella . Not to say the fella in your barn is harmless , just to say he is likely not to come under your states 3 strike law and he knows it .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I was in the military and we trained for clearing buildings. (I was a Cavalry Scout.) I was continally amazed at how quickly we could lose half the squad before we even made it to the other side of the house. I realize civilian home defense is a little different, but I will never make an attempt to clear my house if I come home and notice somebody has been there. The cops get paid to take bullets, not me. Now, if I come home and see a light on that I thought I had turned off, or a window open that I thought I had closed, I'll clear the house. In those cases there's a 99.99% chance I was just forgetful. And if I hear a bump in the night I'll clear the house because my family's safety depends on it.

What would a jury say if they found out you knew your house had been broken into, yet you went in anyways and ended up shooting a BG? I bet you'd be convicted of manslaughter because you had the common sense option of calling the cops and letting them handle it, but you chose to be a vigilante instead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links