Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do? - Page 2

Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife was aided by a gentleman on one occasion...I appreciated it! Exactly , no gal and no kid will go without help if i ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My wife was aided by a gentleman on one occasion...I appreciated it!
    Exactly , no gal and no kid will go without help if i have anything to say about it . That dont mean i pitch the brain out the window , it just means ill help as i can .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    All it takes is an accusation, and you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Good point,

I would have to pick them up, or at least make sure they were ok.

But, if I do so now I'll def. turn on my voice recorder(s)

Senior Moderator
    Yes, I would pick them up.

and no...I didnt need to ask on the internet why I would...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

We see a lot of what are the police for ,we know that they usually can't stop a robbery or home invasion that is in process,this is where the protect and serve comes in,you call the cops and let them handle it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    you call the cops and let them handle it
    Cops dont handle calls like that. They have better things to do than play taxi.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Yes, I would pick her up. Life is too short to not come to the aid of someone who needs help. If she's a psycho, I'll kick her out.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member

It really depends on the community

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Cops dont handle calls like that. They have better things to do than play taxi.
    Whether or not the cops will handle something like this really depends on the community.

I once saw a woman with 4 kids and too many grocery bags struggling to cross a busy road. There was nothing suspicious or wrong.

I couldn't stop to help, but did call the non-emergency number. They said they would send someone out to assist her immediately.

While I can not tell you if they followed through, dispatch certainly did not find the request inappropriate.

Yes I would give her a ride. I am a strong, armed man driving a 3500 pound weapon. I would not be threatened by a bunch of guys drinking at 2 am as long as I was able to use the tools that I had available. If you didnt want to stop right in front of them go to the corner and stop there. Use you head and still do the right thing.
    Where all men think alike few men think at all

I handle stuff like this on a case by case basis...if I got a weird vibe while talking to her, I'd probably just offer to call a cab or a cop. If everything seemed okay, I'd probably give her a ride.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    This one is for all the profilers out there that probably think ...
    That's right. I do think. Every time.

No rides. I'll call for assistance to that location, but this situation is no different than with any other stranger, irrespective of anything ... including what visual cues might appear to support or refute my "read" of the person's motivations.

If the situation is dire or seems urgent, I'd likely hang around until proper help arrived, but that's about the extent of it. Have had the child-in-tow act played out, in front of me. Have had the panhandler-A focus forget about panhandler-B from the side. Have given up on being able to guess the motivations of what drives people. Since a person's going to have either (a) a contact number for someone who cares about him/her or (b) money enough to get a safe ride elsewhere, unless there's obvious distress, death or destruction, then my specific presence isn't required. YMMV, but this works for me, as dangerous as things have become.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm still a human being, and I do have a heart---somewhere. It would depend on my mood, and her demeanor. All profiling put aside. I'm the driver, and it's my option where I let her out, and she willingly accepted that once she got in (if that were the case). I don' believe I'd be driving to the exact designated LZ, but from a point of observation and getting her closer than she was to start with. If there were a previous 'plan', attempt to defeat it. Call the shots especially when you're in uncharted territory. Truth be known, you can probably be more predictable being unpredictable, so you'd best be predictable in your unpredictability.

I don't know about giving people a ride.. my old car broke once and I was sitting in my car for 2 hours in the damn blowing snow at 2am trying to get ahold of anyone I knew.. imagine that they were all sleeping while I was on my way to work..

Finally got ahold of my boss.. he sent someone to get me. There were plenty of cars going by, of course it was snowing and a car on the side of the road in the snow up here is pretty common... however, there were 3 DOT trucks, 2 cops, and an ambulance that went past..

I make it a point, if it is possible to stop and attempt to assist people on the side of the road. I've helped push people through intersections, changed tires for women of all ages.. even given rides to bikers to get some gas, or offered them a warm dry place to sit and ride out a rain storm.. I do use caution. I have yet to encounter a 'group' of guys... so I guess I'm lucky... and no one has ever pulled in behind me while I was helping so again lucky.. but I figure if I help people out.. maybe the next time I'm stuck in the blowing snow with frozen lug nuts and a flat tire.. someone will be nice. I doubt it though.. too many freaks out there.

As far as the scenario goes... I would NOT take her to her baby daddy's house. Unless that is where she lived. If they were all hanging on the corner, I'd drive by and get a 'feel' for it. If need be she can walk from the next corner. No need to put myself in a pickle just for being nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'm still a human being, and I do have a heart---somewhere.
    Heartless though some may take it, calling for assistance or a ride is offering to help, of course. Obviously so, IMO. It simply isn't the one option that puts a person most at risk, the one option most folks fully expect to be selected.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I did something once for the "experience" while in College. Drove a cab. Driving one at night... even that long ago, had it's scary moments. It's an experience in which you see, meet, etc. about every type of person there is.
    Some of the one's I least expected were the best folks. Some telling me thanks... because "no one else would have given ME a ride to this part of town this time of night". Income level, race, gender, clothing... never was a determiner of who the "good folks" were going to be.

Some of the worse 'attitudes' .... were 'executives' who looked down at anyone driving a cab.. and being real ******** who would threaten to get you fired if you didn't do, go , drive, etc. like they wanted you to..... I had more than once stopped and let a few of them out on the street and told them to get another cab... I didn't have to allow any passengers I didn't want to carry.

Would I drive one today for the heck of it ? Hell no !!!

Would I give the woman/baby a ride home... 'yes'. Would I be on the alert and observation level be 'up'... most likely. Any concerns appear .. stop at a very public place along the way and get her a cab.

Some nice people have stopped and stayed with my daughter because her car died along the side of a highway..... at 1-2 a.m...... until I could get there to give her a ride home, or fix the car. So have some good LEO's.

The likelyhood of someone stopping to help is greatly increased if you have your hood up and are standing beside your vehicle. Depending on the circumstances if I can safely pull over I will, but many times it is only a fleeting glance across a couple of lanes at highway speeds.

There have been setups where a good samaratin was robbed/killed trying to assist a stranded motorist.

Offering to make a call for them if they don't have a phone might be first offer.

If possible dropping your rider at a well lit public place would be much better than amongst a group of men who may think you took advantage of their "girl".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links