Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by flagflyfish Yes, I would pick her up. Life is too short to not come to the aid of someone who needs help. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    Yes, I would pick her up. Life is too short to not come to the aid of someone who needs help. If she's a psycho, I'll kick her out.
    I'm six foot 235 and if she acts funny she gets bounced out of the car in a very unfriendly manner. If we pull into the hood I ask her " am I gonna have to shoot someone when I drop you off?" If I pull to her place and some drunk guys are outside I drive a few hundred yards down the block to let her out. If all that fails apply lead as needed.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

2. Remove Ads

Here we stop and help people especially in the winter. You don't call the cops because the nearest one may be 100 or more miles away. Of course here a lot of your scenario would be non existent. Not a lot of bad hoods or gang bangers in this neck of the woods.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

^^ Jeff, I have never felt so comfortable and welcome as in the quieter parts of Wyoming. Friendly place. Was on the cusp of winter, last time I went through, and everyone I met definitely seemed to be looking out for one another.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In Jamaica, it's common for Cab drivers to get Jacked... and these days, the gunmen use the women (and even children) as decoys in order to not look as suspicious... one case had a woman WITH her child, and a loaded revolver in the child's diaper.

Things like that happen over in Afghanistan and Iraq as well... but instead of a gun, it's a grenade in the child's diapers... and if it's not the child, then it's some suicidal maniac with an explosive vest UNDER a burka (either male of female).

When I think about it, I don't see why armed robbers can't even pretend to be muslim women and wear burkas instead of face masks... I have seen a few people in burkas going into banks etc... the best why to take people by surprise is to not raise suspicions... women and children help in those factors.

Prospective rubbers use attractive women to ring door bells, women with babies asking to enter house to use phone etc... you have to really thing about things these days, the things you lest expect seems more dangerous to me, than the more obvious.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedaisy View Post
    I would feel for her, as a female with kids myself....however, I don't pick up people I don't know. Who knows if she's just a ploy with a bunch of thugs hiding in the surrounding area? I'm not willing to put myself (and my kids if I were out traipsing around at 2am with them!) in danger. It is my job to arrive home safely to my family. However, I would call the police and let them know of the situation. In my town, they'd check it out quickly.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    All it takes is an accusation, and you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent.
    +10000

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Cops dont handle calls like that. They have better things to do than play taxi.
    Maybe so in big cities, but not where I live (burb of 18K)! I've been a "taxi driver" for stranded motorists before during real bad weather conditions or breakdowns/accidents. Only one young lady almost ended up being evicted from the cruiser and left to walk in sub-zero weather when she copped an attitude and told me that it was my job to be her taxi.

Besides at 0-dark-thirty this will look very suspicious to them due to the baby being with the woman, so they will likely want to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    In Jamaica, it's common for Cab drivers to get Jacked... and these days, the gunmen use the women (and even children) as decoys in order to not look as suspicious... one case had a woman WITH her child, and a loaded revolver in the child's diaper.

Things like that happen over in Afghanistan and Iraq as well... but instead of a gun, it's a grenade in the child's diapers... and if it's not the child, then it's some suicidal maniac with an explosive vest UNDER a burka (either male of female).

When I think about it, I don't see why armed robbers can't even pretend to be muslim women and wear burkas instead of face masks... I have seen a few people in burkas going into banks etc... the best why to take people by surprise is to not raise suspicions... women and children help in those factors.

Prospective rubbers use attractive women to ring door bells, women with babies asking to enter house to use phone etc... you have to really thing about things these days, the things you lest expect seems more dangerous to me, than the more obvious.
    One thing I was taught in the police academy can be extended by experience here . . .

NEVER transport an ill person (e.g. heart attack symptoms) in a cruiser, call an ambulance. Reason is that if the person "codes" you can't do compressions in the seat (seat springs will compress instead) so you must drag the patient out on the side of the road and now you are stuck with them and can't help get them aid fast enough.

The extension is that if the person pulls a weapon while you are driving, you are at a SERIOUS disadvantage! The steering wheel is in your way, your attention must be on the road, not constantly watching the passengers. Movement to get your gun and turn it in the appropriate direction is NOT EASY in a vehicle. You may well be toast before you are able to get control of the situation.

Example: Many years ago the regional director of DEA had a hefty bounty put on his head by the Columbian drug cartel. I was asked if I wanted to work a protection detail, sitting in my own car all night in his driveway with a shotgun and revolver. We didn't have vests back then and my answer was HELL NO! No way I could ever swing a shotgun (even the PD short-barrel jobs) fast enough while seated in a car and these guys would be playing with F/A not handguns.

Similar to the OP's question, this deck is stacked too far against the "good Samaritan" and seems to be playing to someone's heartstrings. Best left to the professionals (LE) to deal with it. I'd make the call to the PD from my cell and keep on going.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    A woman out with a baby at 2 am walking the streets is not in her right mind. That should be the first clue not to stop.

Senior Moderator
    A woman out with a baby at 2 am walking the streets is not in her right mind. That should be the first clue not to stop.
    Or it could be that her car broke down and she has been walking for quite some time because everyone that passed her was convinced that it was a setup and they chose not to help.

Look at it like this people...

If you dont stop to help, you are leaving them at risk for someone with not so good intentions to stop and help...and it could be the last ride of their life.

I consider that most of us on this board are of sound mind and judgement and most of us would do the right thing if given the opportunity. By picking someone up, you may be saving their life.

If you are in fear for your own life, well, then thats just the way it is with some people, and that fear will dictate your actions or inactions. Notihing said on a BB will change that.

As for me, Id rather be judged for trying to help, rather than to pass on by.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Well on the main road from here, you WILL see women with babies at 2am... but THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR MIND because they dress like hookers, and loiter out in the wee mornings... but the children? WTH
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Look at it like this people...

If you dont stop to help, you are leaving them at risk for someone with not so good intentions to stop and help...and it could be the last ride of their life.
    Transferring that risk to the person stopping isn't foolproof, either. By allowing an unknown into one's space, particularly in a situation where one's attention is elsewhere, it could easily be the last drive of one's life.

The judgment that matters is that of my family, which includes, among other things, my ability to remain present in this life. To the degree I'm able to help if a situation goes sideways in front of me, I will. But to needlessly place myself and family at risk of my death due to opting for the single most-risky option out of a small set of options ... well, suffice to say that I feel there are better choices one can make. The only real downside is a person on the road who needs to wait a bit longer.

If a person can use a cab, tow truck, medical assistance or police assistance, I can call to have those dispatched. I'm not the BofA, and (assuming weather isn't a deadly factor in the scenario) I won't risk my life for so little as someone's desire to quickly get to a lit room. Doesn't mean I'll abscond, leaving them high and dry. But it does mean I'll do what I can with eyes wide open to the legitimate risks.

Such help is of assistance, though many won't see it that way. Such help merely isn't the greatest assistance one could offer in such a situation. However, assistance it is.

Keep in mind, this isn't like the person has a gun to his/her head, as in a hold-up. He/she is merely cold, tired, and awaiting arrival of services. There is no such dramatic urgency, in a garden variety roadside problem. He/she can wait a bit longer, if that helps keep me and my family safer. So long as that timespan doesn't induce death or serious risk (as it would in a Montana winter), then that truly isn't too much to ask.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    ccw9mm...

Of course you are right on all accounts.

I am reminded of a time not so long ago when a friend of mines wife was driving her Ford Taurus when it decided to shuck the serpentine belt on the car, which killed the power steering,and water pump among other things. Unfortunately she was way up on Highway 7 in the Ozark Mountains where you cant even think of using a cell phone because it just doesn't have a signal.Being as it was late at night and the nearest town was over 20 miles away, after sitting there for several hours and what few people there were driving passed her by,she thought she might eventually walk up to a house where she might knock and at least use the phone.

After about a 4 mile walk, that is what she did. She knocked on the door, and an elderly lady and her husband both answered. She told them of her trouble and they actually let her in to use the phone. Most here would have argued that it was the foolish thing to do, it wasn't tactically correct, and in this day and age it might have been considered somewhat suicidal to open your door to a complete stranger. Luckily for that woman that spent awhile walking in the dark, that couple didn't read the forums on the Internet that basically say to heck with your fellow man, I ain't helpin, cause its stupid in so many ways.

But the older couple took her in, let her use the phone to call her husband and insisted that she stay there to wait for the 30 minute or wait that it would take her husband to get there. They even had coffee and had a pleasant visit, despite the fact that it was mid morning.

It was a simple thing, a random act of kindness. That couple displayed charity...something that seems to be unknown these days and if this forum is any indication of the way things are going, something that is actively discouraged.

Now, the way I see it, I am a big ole boy...that carries a gun most everywhere I go. If ever I think I cant help a person out because I am too scared of what might happen, or what could happen, then I pray the Good Lord takes me quick, because I am of little use to Him.

No way will I drive on...and be like those that only worry about themselves and their own little worlds. Thats pretty "sheeple like"...and I simply refuse to think like one.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

After about a 4 mile walk ... She knocked on the door, and an elderly lady and her husband both answered. She told them of her trouble and they actually let her in to use the phone.
    Well, now, that's an entirely different situation. As always, each situation is different.

In this case, there is one person knocking and looking for assistance, with two people in the home who can jointly (if they're smart) maintain reasonable control of the space. In a similar situation of someone coming for assistance, I, too, would almost certainly make a call for a person. I could control the space, while another could make the call, bring food, bring a blanket, whatever. All of this can be done from the porch, for strangers in the middle of the night. In such a way, security for my family could still be maintained, while providing help.

This also maintains a clear level of safety for the person who's asking for help, too. That's of benefit to the person, though it won't likely be perceived that way.

As well, the beauty of cordless phone technology is that such situations can easily be handled out on the porch or in the yard, at least until it's clear that there is minimal risk of threat.

Most here would have argued that it was the foolish thing to do, it wasn't tactically correct, and in this day and age it might have been considered somewhat suicidal to open your door to a complete stranger.
    As always, there are more ways to help someone than going whole-hog and dropping one's guard entirely.

One can still make the call, help the person, bring food/blankets/whatever, and yet still maintain reasonable control over one's security position. And that diligence still results in the person's problem being solved. May not seem nice, and it may not seem cordial, but it becomes win-win for both parties, that way.

Let's be specific: cordiality is not a measure of assistance. It's only a surface veneer covering what one does. If one still delivers assistance, despite a perceived lack of cordiality or dropping of guard, where's the infraction?

In short, my family's safety is NOT subordinate to the safety and security of someone newly arrived on my front porch. Not ever. The simple reality is this: if there is a simple way to both (a) deliver assistance and (b) maintain security, then to my way of thinking that's a win-win exchange. Can't see how that would be intolerable for the person receiving the help.

No way will I drive on...and be like those that only worry about themselves and their own little worlds. Thats pretty "sheeple like"...and I simply refuse to think like one.
    Neither will I. I refuse, as well.

But because I don't gush and trip over myself without an ounce of concern for the risks doesn't mean assistance isn't being provided.

As I've shown, there are more ways than one to get a job done. In the end, so long as the job is done, the help is provided, the safety is maintained, then there is no loss ... to either party, other than a brief inconvenience and readjustment to one's expectations of cordiality and timeliness.

In the end, maintaining preparedness isn't being a sheep or thinking like one (due to the labels of "fearful" and other such claims some might make). It's simply being prepared. And given today's realities, given the degree to which many criminals are ready to go, the level of preparedness is simply a few steps beyond what the Boy Scouts ever considered. Brave, Thrifty and Reverent are fine. But keep in mind that the preparedness motto didn't include Blindness.

def. Preparedness: Planning for and making ready for something expected or thought possible.

Just so.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

HotGuns, excellent post. I'm not judging anyone in their responses. It's actually a sad commentary that our society has come to the point that this is even a valid subject for a post.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    It's actually a sad commentary that our society has come to the point that this is even a valid subject for a post.
    Yes, it is. But it's reality. Ignoring it can be dangerous.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

So...for those of you who would pick up the woman with the baby...

What do you do when she gets squirly on you?

What do you do when she is sitting right next to you as you are driving and sticks a razor blade to your throat demanding your car or your money?

Maybe she pulls out a crack pipe and starts taking hits off it, right next to you with the kid in her lap?

What are you going to do then?

How are you going to get her out of your car?

Gonna get physical with her to get her out of the car...with a baby right their?

Chivalry is great...but if it goes wrong, what are you going to be able to do to to pull it out of the toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    So...for those of you who would pick up the woman with the baby...

What do you do when she gets squirly on you?

What do you do when she is sitting right next to you as you are driving and sticks a razor blade to your throat demanding your car or your money?

Maybe she pulls out a crack pipe and starts taking hits off it, right next to you with the kid in her lap?

What are you going to do then?

How are you going to get her out of your car?

Gonna get physical with her to get her out of the car...with a baby right their?

Chivalry is great...but if it goes wrong, what are you going to be able to do to to pull it out of the toilet?

I think it would be smarter, for a lady to simply demand your money while threatening your with sexual assualt and attempted rape... if this woman was a minority, these days, the media will crush you and your reputation will be in the toilet.

Look what happened to those 3 college students at Duke, when they hired a messed up stripper? NO CHARGES were filed against that skank, so it looks like ANY WOMAN can simply shout "RAPE" without having any proff... and when everyone finds out it's BS, all she does it walks away as if nothing happened.

Besides from that, remember that Florida prostitute who became a serial killer? She even killed a retired cop... and she robbed them and stole their cars.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links