Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

This is a discussion on Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This one is for all the profilers out there that probably think people with tattoos are more threating, or the one wearing them gangsta clothing ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

Young woman and baby needs a ride, what do you do?

This one is for all the profilers out there that probably think people with tattoos are more threating, or the one wearing them gangsta clothing line that selling from 50cent G-Unit or something.

You're driving late at night, and you see a woman holding her baby on the road (your probably thinking they need a lift because they missed their bus/train and there are no more buses/trains running any more because it's 2am... this happened to me once you know ).

So do you pick this woman up and offer her a ride? If No, explain why not?

IF YES, then I continue from here:
    So you take her with her child, and she tells you she needs to go down the street, and from your knowledge it's in "da hood" but you drive any ways... you see the conditions of the roads/houses/shops etc progressively getting worst with graffiti and the lady tells you to pull up to her baby daddies place just down the road... there are several men loitering around that area, 2am, drinking 40s and chill n... would you drive up there?

You may think this sorta thing is completely fabricated, but it has happened... you ever hear people keeping guns in baby diapers WHILE the baby had them on? That's how you know things are real bad...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    So do you pick this woman up and offer her a ride? If No, explain why not?
    Because a woman with a child is just as likely to stick a gun in your ribs as anyone else you don't know who you let into your car.

I offer to call her a cab. If I'm having a good week, I'll even give the cabbie a $20 to take her home.

Call me cold, call me crazy, but one thing you aren't going to call me is someone who always sees the best in people.

Nobody I don't know gets in the car.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Because a woman with a child is just as likely to stick a gun in your ribs as anyone else you don't know who you let into your car.

I offer to call her a cab. If I'm having a good week, I'll even give the cabbie a $20 to take her home.

Call me cold, call me crazy, but one thing you aren't going to call me is someone who always sees the best in people.

+1 - very well stated! If I don't know the person(s), nobody rides. Yeah, I may be the one looking for help someday. I'll take my chances and wait for the police.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

That sounds reasonable... calling her a cab and offering her money. Also, if a cop was passing by, he could give her a ride.

I've given rides to strangers before, and probably will again.

I do it on a "case by case" basis and my judgement. As far as driving up to where the guys are drinking, again, maybe. Heck I once gave a guy with a Rifle a ride for thirty miles, as his Truck had broke down and he had an 8 mile hike to get to where I met him.

Take care, stay safe and use your best judgement. What I may do does not mean it's "right" for everyone to do.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    No ride unless I know them.Reason?Self preservation.I would not do it no matter what type of clothing the lady wore.I want to help people,but our country is not what it once was.It is too easy to be accused of attempted rape or sexual assault of a child.Just because you want to be a decent human and help someone.At night?Lady on the road?No.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I do give the gal a ride , that does not mean i turn my brain off . However no lady and her baby will stand out and have me go by hell ill drive her to her doorstep even if it costs me time . She may endanger herself and the baby I will not by choice .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I don't pick up strangers EVER ,There are many people that thought they had good judgment that picked up hitchhikers that wish they hadn't picked up the last one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I used to do it more, but hardly ever these days. In particular not women. Its not the gun I am afraid off... what about the "give me your money or I yell 'assault'" trick? In my neighborhood, the big thing is asking for bus money. For some reason, the bus always seems to cost about as much as a can of malt-liquor.

I used to live in a more rural area, and you had regular hitch-hikers. Busses drove infrequently. Some of the regulars where bums. Not dangerous, just smelly and obnoxious. But at least you knew them and could avoid them.

Lead Moderator
    Given my area , yes I probably would give a ride depending on what she looked like and the surrounding area.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would feel for her, as a female with kids myself....however, I don't pick up people I don't know. Who knows if she's just a ploy with a bunch of thugs hiding in the surrounding area? I'm not willing to put myself (and my kids if I were out traipsing around at 2am with them!) in danger. It is my job to arrive home safely to my family. However, I would call the police and let them know of the situation. In my town, they'd check it out quickly.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

All it takes is an accusation, and you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

It is amazing how many people are suckered by a woman and a child.
    In Spain in the 60's it was common to see a Gypsy Woman with a child begging for money for her sick baby, then later seeing another woman with the same baby saying it was hers, then later seeing another woman with same baby with another sad story.

Unless I know the person, I don't stop. In todays world it is unsafe to stop for strangers.

VIP Member
    This is one of those tough decisions. With the ever present cell phone nowadays, I'd perhaps call the non-emergency number of the police to report what I have seen. I might then --with the knowledge of the police--go and offer a ride.

Or, I might hover nearby until a patrol vehicle came to talk to the woman.

Situation is everything. If this happened around the corner from my house I'd likely be more accommodating than if it happened elsewhere.

Thirty one years ago my wife and I and our baby were stranded on the road when an engine blew. The mixed emotions and thoughts that went through my head were: a) I have to get the baby out of the sun; b) be careful of anyone who might stop to offer help; c) I hope the wrecker driver comes fast.

As it turned out, a patrol car stopped by to check, gave my wife and baby a ride home, and the wrecker came fairly quickly. I don't recall how I got home from the car dealer. (There were 10 days left on the engine warranty.)

I call the cops...I'm not a taxi, but I wouldn't let a woman get stranded either...I'd have to 'feel out the situation'...anything strange...I'm gone!
    One can tell when the story starts to get phony or 'off the traveled path' of normal.
    My wife was aided by a gentleman on one occasion...I appreciated it!

Stay armed...be alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links