2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

This is a discussion on 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Get a peephole in the door and either ask what they want through a closed door or intercom system,once you open ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a peephole in the door and either ask what they want through a closed door or intercom system,once you open that barrier you are creating a situation where you can be attacked overpowered and killed,If they try to kick the door you can respond by drawing and taking cover getting family into safe area getting to shotgun etc.They have had several homicides in Texas recently where homeowners were killed at the front door

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No opening the door for me!

I have a steel security door. Basically like this one on the left:

It has a dead bolt and locking handle. You can see out but unless you are back lit at night, anyone outside can't see in because the "screen" is actually a sheet of steel with tiny holes drilled in it. Best thing I have purchased next to my guns!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I dont know about you, but I dont answer the door when its people I dont want to talk too..

Whether its two Mormons on bicycles, or a guy from a newspaper selling subscriptions, or a friend of mine who I dont feel like dealing with..

Just leave the door shut?

Sounds like you've reassessed your carry and your response.
    Keep yourself safe, my friend.
    I don't want to read in the newspapers where "One of Us" just became a statistic.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Our neighborhood is posted "No Soliciting". I make sure they know they are being watched and note their plates making sure they see me doing so. They sometimes ask why they are being photographed too :) . I tell them I'm neighborhood security and everyone that breaks our rules gets reported to the Sheriff. Jaws drop, they always leave. Right or wrong, I'm on the board and many of these people are up to no good, they don't want attention.

One JW had so much righteous indignation he insisted on arguing with me that they could legally grace any doorstep they wanted at 7AM Saturday! I took out my cell and dialed the Sheriff. They ran away, the whole van load of em, all the while I invited them to stay and explain to the Police how they were not tresspassing. That was more than a year ago and they've not been back.

The other residents have noticed a Welcome decline in solicitors. We've had peeping toms, smash and grabs from cars in the middle of the day, moving van roberies, cars ransacked for anything of value at night... we don't need people casing us in plain sight.

Ask about kids at my door and you can smile for the camera.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that tells them to git.

BTW. As a CCW, when you need your pistol, you will likely be ambushed and need to have one in the pipe. That 27 will not AD as the striker is blocked untill the trigger is pulled. Get to know the safeties on the Glock and you will trust it more.

i have two signes in my big picture window at the front door of my house, the first sign reads " this house is protected by a shotgun 3 nights a week you have to guess what 3 nights" and the other reads " anyone found here at night will be found here in the morning " case closed it works great no more sales people comming to the door and no more johova withnessess trying to sell you books etc. works for me

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    ... you should take pictures of THEM and write down their license plate numbers ...
    Yup, so long as that doesn't put the family at risk due to my exiting to catch the license plate.

This is what can happen with strangers at the door: click, and it can be particularly bad if you open the door sight-unseen.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

See the boy to the left? He doesn't like salesmen or anyone else for that matter.

Havn't had an unwanted visitor since he became a year old. He's the best security system I've ever had.

I have a blue tick coon hound and a basset hound. While they are both wussy dogs when it comes face to face with people, I swear that when strangers approach the house or come to the door, you'd swear they were slaughtering someone on the inside.

They are a good alarm system and a ferocious sounding deterrent. Thats all I need. I or my wife can take things from there. Although I do think they would bite if my wife or I were attacked, simply out of loyalty to their masters who love them, I just don't rely on that aspect of their security or know how effective they would be. I think if they took a good swift kick or a body slam and they'd high tail it for cover. But who knows... they may surprise me and hang in there.

I have seen at least two people on different occasions who I assumed were salesmen, leave my door without even knocking... I assumed they didn't want any part on what was on the other side. They did go on to the neighbors which is why I assumed they were selling something
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'll open the door with a 1911 on my hip open carry, wife is in the living room looking like she's not interested..but with her G26 and a 70 pound Shepard/chow mix barking her fool head off acting like she's going to come through the screen door.
    If it's unusually late...the door isn't opened depending on situation. I've been known to let the wife open the door while I'm covering her if it's one of the neighbors.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    Was the recommended best-practice for answering door-to-door salesmen ? (Assuming its not the Schwan guy or boyscouts :-))
    The 100# Rhodesian Ridgeback usually answers first and in no uncertain terms that solicitors are not welcome. I rarely need to answer in such a case myself since I usually see the person walking back down the driveway before I open the door.

KDD
    If I don't know who it is I answer the door with my model 19 on my hip in plane view. This creates space for those who stay and most leave.

KDD

My Response....

I have two children....Twins.....Glock 19 and 23. NOW leave.

No Really, I would ask them to leave and say I am not interested. Then I would ask them for their peddlers permit (it is required in my area). Usually that is enough to get them to leave the neighborhood.

Damn, I miss my RR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    The 100# Rhodesian Ridgeback usually answers first and in no uncertain terms that solicitors are not welcome. I rarely need to answer in such a case myself since I usually see the person walking back down the driveway before I open the door.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I typically call the police, tell them that someone is acting suspicious in my neighborhood (honestly, I have no idea if they are legit or not and do not want to figure it out on my own anyway). Typically they do not look like they belong. I would rather the Police decide if they should be selling door to door, plus maybe it gets the message across that they should pick another neighborhood.

I will say this, because of today's society and exactly these type of sales people, I now have a gun vault on the way to the front door. They make me very uneasy!

Have you ever had the guy selling cleaner? I had this A _ _ _ O L _ start cleaning my front porch, then I had this small spot of clean concrete, after he left I was pissed, should have called the police and reported him for vandalism which in fact is what he did.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links