2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

This is a discussion on 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Post a NO trespassing and beware of dog sign in your front yard. If I don't know the people, I still always try to be ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

Post a NO trespassing and beware of dog sign in your front yard.

If I don't know the people, I still always try to be neighborly and answer the door.

When I do, I open the door a little so, I can s/w them while I keep a pistol in my right hand behind the wall.

My door gun is a smaller 357 Ruger Security six, so if I need to step outside, it will fit in my pocket.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    If I want to get the message across I keep plastic 1911 I use for muscle memory (without the red cap on the end) in plain sight at home, it gets their attention, and they usually look at it a second thinking it is real. My hand is usually on the real one that they don't see. If someone goes for the plastic gun they are in real deep at that point.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

I talk to visitors I don't know through the screen door. My gun is on my hip ready, out of sight. I simply ask them to leave, I'm not interested in what they have to sell. You can be polite but their question about kids was strange. I'd have called that one in to the local PD just in case.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

The GSD usually takes care of unwanted visitors here too. About the time my 138# monster jumps up on the door and starts barking at eye level they decide they don't want to be there after all.
    The poor pizza delivery calls to let us know he's there.

Sign posted on my property says

Signs I have posted on my property before you enter the driveway to my house

WARNING NOTICE
    No Trespassing

Utility and delivery personal are granted safe passage onto this property to the degree necessary to perform their duties.

All other persons entering this property must hold contract or invitation with owner or tenant granting ingress with indemnity. Any intrusion beyond this point without said contract or invitation is unlawful and will be seen as an attack with intent to trespass, extort, harass, oppress, threaten, intimidate, injure, mutilate molest, or otherwise jeopardize the rights, safety and life of the owner, tenant.

Any and all federal, state, county, city, municipal or otherwise governmental agent, official or person(s) without the above mentioned contract or invitation “MUST” present a properly prepared warrant as prescribed by constitutional amendment IV and XIV, "and no warrant shall be issued, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
    persons or things to be seized". Alleged zoning or code non-compliance violations do not establish constitutional reasons for entering this property. Violators will be treated as any other hostile intruders, described above.

Violators may be fined not more than $10,000, imprisoned not more than ten years, or both. U.S.C. Title 18, Sec. 241 & 246. A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he / she knowingly enters unlawfully upon this property and is placing their life and well being at risk.
    So anyone uninvited gets greeted with big dogs behind me and a gun in my hand. Even friends are told to call first
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

We constantly have door to door salespeople coming to our neighborhood. I have a practice that if I don't know who it is, I don't open the door....even with a gun ion my person.

The only exception to that is if it's a young kid, pretty obviously selling candy, or the boy scouts selling popcorn. Generally, there is a parent standing by the car rightfully watching over their little guy or girl, from whatever freak could be opening the door.

I teach my kids the same thing. We don't have a peep hole, but do have a window in the front where we can see out. They are trained NOT to answer the door unless my husband and I have OK'd it.

Just today there was a lone teen walking around selling something. We didn't answer the door.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

I do not open the door period. I had a guy come to the door a year or so ago claiming to be selling magazines. I did not open the door. When I turned away from the door he spotted my holster, reached behind the wall of the house and got a duffel bag that he had placed there (He had placed it such that I could not see it) and ran away.

The LEO who patrols our neighborhood said these guys likely had tools in their bag to break the lock of the door so they could come in and burglarize the house if we were not there.

I have a peephole so I can look out my apartment door. (NO screen door).

If a homeowner and I happened to be on the front porch or something and didn't have the option of not answering the door I'd call the cops. Let them decide if these are bad guys or not. They'll take their information and keep it on file in case something does happen.

I'm still a newbie so don't have much gun advice but keeping one in the chamber makes sense to me.

This reminds me of Second Hand Lions. You should just sit on your front porch and shoot at any salesmen that come up your drive.

I have mounted a 30" convex mirror next to my garage. ( I have 90 yard driveway to house and parts of it are not visible from within house.) and I can see who is at door from two other windows. If Condition Orange, then I open door with left hand still on main door. I have very strong storm doors that are locked and I can slam main door shut if I sense danger. Then I reach in pocket for S&W. Only Neighbors, kinfolk, and people I grew up come into my house. If salesman looks legit, we sit on deck and discuss his wares, with storm door locked behind me, a friendly smile on my face and my right hand in my pocket..
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

You handled it good.

These door to door people can pose risks. I wouldnt want to be one

Had a young guy with European accent knock on my door and ask me that. My dog went ballistic, barking like he's never barked before, scaring the crap out of the kid. I wouldn't have been too suspicious...just annoyed...but the idiot was insistent, even when I told him I DO NOT talk about that stuff with strangers. Finally, just shut the door in his face and then watched him from the window.

He was naming the supposed names of kids from families along the road. Unfortunately, I know my neighbors are stupid enough to give strangers that kind of information at their front door.

But I ALWAYS think my neighbors are stupid.

-JT

I work third shift and am usually asleep when these people come up.

I had a couple of guys come up a few years ago and wake me up. The few people I would want in my house when I am sleeping have keys, so I knew it was someone I didn't want to talk to. They kept knocking, and after a few minutes I go to the door in my cut off jogging pants and ruffled hair from being asleep and ask them what they want. (I was holding the glock behind the door where they couldn't see it.) They wanted to COME IN and sell me a bible supposedly. I told them I wasn't interested in no uncertain terms and shut the door. They had the nerve to knock again. I opened the door all the way this time and loudly told them to Get the F*** off of my property NOW. They finally got the picture and left.

I seen them going over to my neighbor's house (an older lady that lives alone), so I came back out and sit on my porch with gun on my lap watching them where they could see me. They didn't go all the way to her door, and just got in their car and left.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Carry a round in the glock it is safe to do so the gun will not go off by itself.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links