2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

This is a discussion on 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife says two men just pulled into our country driveway - walking to door. One stays on lawn with clipboard looking at house acting like ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2 men at door - asking whether I had kids..

Wife says two men just pulled into our country driveway - walking to door. One stays on lawn with clipboard looking at house acting like taking notes, the other comes onto the porch to the front door clipboard and paperwork in hand.

I open door and step onto porch to greet but instantly become uneasy. I went from sitting-at-my-pc getting tech support from dell, to full-alert as the guy begin asking whether I had kids and whether the neighbors had children. He was Asian and his partner was middle-eastern - big deal - but this was very weird and I realized I was way too close to the guy on the porch (and what was the partner doing taking notes.. )

I carry a G27 w M-Tac holster - almost can forget its there. I am new to Glocks but love this G27 - but must admit I have been carrying without a round chambered until I got more comfortable with its safety features. I was instantly regretting the whole scenario.

I was within arms reach of this guy, outside my door, G27 handy but 'safely' unchambered (aka useless), delayed adrenaline kicking in.
    I finally figured out they were selling books and were hunting for houses with kids. I gave a not so Minnesota nice 'NOT interested' and 'why would I tell you who has kids in the neighborhood?'. Guy sarcastically responds 'oh - thats real nice..' and turns, walks to car with his buddy and leaves.

Was the recommended best-practice for answering door-to-door salesmen ? (Assuming its not the Schwan guy or boyscouts :-))
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

Kids selling candy bars get money, door to door guys get my open hostility, in no uncertain terms i order them to leave and never come back.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

always chamber your g27. i do
    my g27 is my fav
    having no round in chamber is like having a knife sheath with no knife.
    or keeping a car with no engine in the garage
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

VIP Member
    Ask them for ID & who they represent!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

can you say, potential pedophile?

That is really wierd. Sarcasm noted. As is the X-ring I'm thinking about overlayed by his sillohuette
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I don't even speak to these people any more. I have two pieces of paper that I give them when they approach. One has the regulations for solicitation in my neighborhood (private community), the other is a printed copy of the Castle Doctrine for my state. Once they see these, they are usually getting back in their vehicle and leaving. If they go from mine to the neighbors, I just call one of our on site courtesy officers (both are LEO's) and let them take care of the trespassers.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Get a peephole in the door and either ask what they want through a closed door or intercom system,once you open that barrier you are creating a situation where you can be attacked overpowered and killed,If they try to kick the door you can respond by drawing and taking cover getting family into safe area getting to shotgun etc.They have had several homicides in Texas recently where homeowners were killed at the front door
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My neighbor immediately takes pictures of the individuals and their vehicles...it usually has sales people (suspicious types) back into their cars/white vans and gone...

I agree with you, I would not have been friendly. Why does anyone have to canvas home to find out where 'the kids' live? That's strange and sends very bad vibes...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

bae
    Loose the hounds.

Someone who gets to my front door has opened at least one gate to do so, and is trespassing.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a peephole in the door and either ask what they want through a closed door or intercom system,once you open that barrier you are creating a situation where you can be attacked overpowered and killed,If they try to kick the door you can respond by drawing and taking cover getting family into safe area getting to shotgun etc.They have had several homicides in Texas recently where homeowners were killed at the front door
    +1......
    "An armed society is a polite society"

VIP Member
    I can see my front porch without being seen from the outside. If it isn't anyone I know I won't answer the door. As far as your Glock being carried with an empty chamber. You figured it out yourself already, one word "useless".

A guy came to my door one day, and gave me the "I'm working my way through college, selling books", spill.

I said, "you're selling books?"

He, thinking I was interested, perked up and said, "YES! I am!! blah blah blah".
    I interrupted him with, "Well then, I guess you can read".

And shut the door, with the "NO SOLICITING" sign, slammed in his face.

in this day and time with all the weirdness in the world, I'm with those who say you should take pictures of THEM and write down their license plate numbers and LET THEM KNOW you're taking notes!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsFosforos View Post
    A guy came to my door one day, and gave me the "I'm working my way through college, selling books", spill.

I said, "you're selling books?"

He, thinking I was interested, perked up and said, "YES! I am!! blah blah blah".
    I interrupted him with, "Well then, I guess you can read".

And shut the door, with the "NO SOLICITING" sign, slammed in his face.

in this day and time with all the weirdness in the world, I'm with those who say you should take pictures of THEM and write down their license plate numbers and LET THEM KNOW you're taking notes!!
    I did have a girl come by one time trying to sell magazines. She said that if she was not the top seller in her group that she had to shave her head. I offered her my razor, but she was not amused. She did get the message though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    like keeping a car with no engine in the garage
    My neighbors in West Viginia did this all the time. Instead of in the garage though, they just parked them in the front yard.

Oh if you don't like a round in the chamber carry a revo.
    Last edited by atctimmy; May 30th, 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: content
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I either don't answer or tell them I'm not interested.

I am not obligated to answer anyone's questions at my house.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links