My Walmart Adventure

My Walmart Adventure

This is a discussion on My Walmart Adventure within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hope this belongs here. My wife and I just got back from Walmart. As we were looking for a spot, my wife, who is much ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

My Walmart Adventure

Hope this belongs here.

My wife and I just got back from Walmart. As we were looking for a spot, my wife, who is much more situationally aware than I am, saw some scumbag that she thought was breaking into a Caddy but she wasn't sure. I pulled into the next aisle and parked just across for him.
    At this point I see him jimmy the door and reach inside, grab a purse and start walking off looking around. As he walks off I jump out and start running after him. My wife tells witnesses to call 911. I am right on this guy and I know that I'll catch him within 30-40 strides. He rounds a conversion van and when i got up to it I lost him temporarily. Then I see a beater back out two parking spaces next to me.
    I run in back of it (stupid), slap the trunk with my hands and yelled for him to stop. He didn't. He nearly ran me over backing up. After I got out of the way I ran in front of the car. This time I had my shirt up over my XD. I had one hand on a now obvious pistol and the other hand making a stop gesture. He didn't. He damn near killed me. I also noticed that he had a female passenger as well. I was able to get a decent description and license plate which I passed on to the cops.
    The owners finally come out of WallyWorld and we tell them what happened. They were very thankful that I tried to get the guy. The cops were cool too. I told the officer that I had CWP and that I wanted to draw down but didn't. He said of course that I did the right thing. I wanted to ask him if I did draw down on the guy If I would have been arrested but forgot to ask.
    I'll tell ya, I was running as fast as I have in some time. If that guy kept running, I would've ground him into the parking lot.

If they had just grabbed a kid and were heading out of a parking spot, I may have shot out tires...shot the driver and everyone else stealing a kid...OMO, YOMV...

A purse? Get a plate number and call 911 only...no chasing for me on that one...
    Stay armed...call 911...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Really bad idea. Your not a cop so dont play one. Call 911, get tag number, car description, etc. Is someone elses purse worth your life or jail time?
    "An armed society is a polite society"

I am in no way saying I did everything 'right'. I was full of adrenaline and this is just what happened.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Hey! Same thing happened to another guy over on XD Talk!

Wait . . . . that was you! j/k

I think you did a good job. I would have done the same thing. Someone has to let these jerk thugs know that we are sick and tired of just standing by while they rob unknowing citizens.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    I am in no way saying I did everything 'right'. I was full of adrenaline and this is just what happened.
    Truth be known, Packer...I could't run that fast, or very far...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Hey! Same thing happened to another guy over on XD Talk!
    Yeah, that guy is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I think you did a good job. I would have done the same thing. Someone has to let these jerk thugs know that we are sick and tired of just standing by while they rob unknowing citizens.
    +1, most of you already know how I feel on this subject, so I'll keep it short.

Thanks for trying to get a BG off the street. He probably had to throw away his pants, and he'll probably never go to that Walmart again.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Thanks for the kind words.

Practice the way we fight

No matter how many times we THINK about what we are going to do in a certain situation, we never really KNOW what we are going to do until that time comes. When incidents like this occur we don't really have a lot of time to THINK so we must be prepared to ACT.

I have lived my military career by practicing the way we are going to fight (Wargames, General Quarters drills, firefighting drills, etc.). The scenarios for daily encounters and problems like this goes ad infinitum, so we can't really prepare for them all.

A clear mind, a cool head, some core values, competence, and awareness, are really what we have to use when confronted with these type situations.

I'm glad there were no serious consequences in the way you handled your situation.

jp

Seriously... how hard is it to understand protecting life and limb... bad idea chasing a guy down for stealing anything... if hes running away and you attack him, your in a whole other ballgame then pal... just my 0.02.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's first Homeland Security

I also would like to see the BG's off the streets, however, I would think I would be a very good witness with his description, tag number, and maybe ever follow him at some distance. You life & wellbeing is worth much more then a purse. But with that said, if threatened or someone else, no questions ...STOP the threat!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Oh geez.....yet another story of a permit holder playing cop. Since none of you other guys will put this in it's proper perspective, I guess I will.

What would you have done if the 'perp' had stopped and gotten out of his car with, say, a baseball bat, for a little payback? I'll tell you; you'd have been forced to shoot him...and that's if you manage to hit only him, and not Grandma or little Billy. So, we end up with one dead BG, and possibly some bystanders getting hit, all because you decided to chase some guy that you think was possibly breaking into someone else's car.

And that's just one scenario. What if the guy in the beater wasn't your 'perp' after all, but just some working stiff like me, leaving Wal-Mart after a formula and diaper run, with my 7 month old strapped in the back. You think I'd stop?

What you did was a mistake, and you are very lucky that nobody was killed or injured due to your actions. Use your brain next time.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

PackerfanXd,
    I'm sorry, I have to change my mind based on packin45's amazingly insightful post.

What you should have done was ignore it completely. How could you be sure that the guy jimmying the door, grabbing a purse, and running away was an actual criminal. Perhaps he was Ghandi and he was trying to recover a sick nurses purse...You really have no idea what is going on in these situations and getting involved is dangerous and foolhardy. Maybe it wasn't even a purse. Maybe it was some working stiff, leaving Wal-Mart after a formula and diaper run, with his 7 month old strapped in the back. Surely you can understand how easy it is to get somebody breaking into a car and somebody on a routine shopping trip mixed up.

You should be ashamed of yourself, and you're just lucky you didn't end up in jail for trying to be a good citizen and stand up for law abiding citizens. After all, you shouldn't have a gun in the first place. You're not a cop. Who are you to try to stop a crime in progress.

I can't believe how I was so wrong in my original post.

I hope you find yourself sufficiently chastised and never do this again. As a matter of fact, I can't even believe you would share this with us. You should be so ashamed of this that you would want to keep this quiet. And if you're not already, perhaps a few more posts from some of our more 'reasonable subjects' will convince you of that.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Leave your purse in the car, in plain sight and be gone for a little while to have it stolen, sounds almost deserving..some things folks just bring upon themselves...I do hope tho that the BG chokes on any of the meals he buys with the stolen money. Scumbag thieves!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links