Gun pushed into belly

This is a discussion on Gun pushed into belly within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking that no damage will happen to the barrel, the bullet will inter the abdominal cavity. I do think, however, that the finish on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun pushed into belly

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I'm thinking that no damage will happen to the barrel, the bullet will inter the abdominal cavity. I do think, however, that the finish on the gun will likely get damaged from the blood if it is not cleaned well. I've heard that it is very corrosive to the finish.

2. Remove Ads

"Some good answers and insight..but getting back on track, the main question is, will the gun substain damage due to high pressures of the barrel being block or will the soft tissues absorb those pressures?"

No, the gun will not sustain damage during the course of contact shots.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Some good answers and insight..but getting back on track, the main question is, will the gun substain damage due to high pressures of the barrel being block or will the soft tissues absorb those pressures?
    Not likely unless you're already using ammo that's way over-pressured for the gun, or have a faulty firearm. You may lose a little more pressure from a revolvers chamber-to-forcing cone gap, but not enough to notice. You're most likely to hear a very muffled shot as the bullet opens a path for the entire plasma-like discharge and shock-wave of the muzzle-blast to follow into the body cavity, making your opponent into a very efficient, reluctant supressor. The screams he may emit as the full effect of the muzzle-blast are absorbed by his internals, however, could prove just as deafening as the blast would have been.
    Remember, at that range (or, lack of range) even a blank pistol can kill from just the powder charge. Think of a "shaped charge" applied to your person.
    Ouch!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

VIP Member
    That's called "contact shooting" and no, you don't press the weapon in to the body, especially a semi-automatic primarily because it can cause the weapon to go out of battery.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    No damage will (should) occur, my main concern would be if the gun cycled the next round or not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No damage will (should) occur, my main concern would be if the gun cycled the next round or not.
    +1
    one reason for a revolver.

No damage to the gun from pushing it in to a person'r gut and firing, but damage to the gun from blood and bits of tissue all on the gun.

At least that's what happened to my Brother and his Model 36.

Biker

jam
    While I have no personal experience with the gun aspect of this equation I feel I can give some feedback on the flesh aspect. Human skin is pretty resilient and relatively thick especially in the abdominal area. Your gun will be out of battery before any flesh is jammed into the barrel. To be honest with you my bigger concern is the BG's response to getting shot. Don't hold me to this but if I remember correctly the nerves that supply the abdominal organs generally respond to pressure more than to sharp pain. Also the BG adrenalin is probably through the roof which allow him to remain active for a longer then desired period. I would think your best bet for a shot that close would be off to the side of the sternum at an angle of about 45 degrees. There are a number of important organs (lungs and heart) and numerous vital arteries and vessels that if nicked will stop a BG quick.

Downward works as well (pelvic shot).

Ditto on the above, in response to the OP question, for the tenth time, NO THE GUN WILL NOT SUSTAIN DAMAGE, YES THE BODY WILL ABSORB THOSE PRESSURES! Having said that, someone will sure as heck manage to jam a rib in the barrel and pop goes the weasel.

Regarding the question of use of the weapon on an unarmed assailant, if you truly are an educated and responsible CC holder, then your use of the tool was because you are in fear of your life, or that of your family (yes, you can read into that one all you want - I.E. If I am incapacitated, what is he going to do to my wife and/or daughter?).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I think somewhere around '90 there was an Ayoob Files about a .38 HBWC shooting jammed into a belly as a good thing. More recently, Mythbusters did a ballistic gel finger in the barrel, finger lost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    I think somewhere around '90 there was an Ayoob Files about a .38 HBWC shooting jammed into a belly as a good thing. More recently, Mythbusters did a ballistic gel finger in the barrel, finger lost every time.
    thats why I LOVE the MYTHBUSTERS!

VIP Member
    Who cares just do what you have to

They played this one out on mythbusters and guns and ammo. Dead BG. No gun damage.

John Farnham has done quite a lot of writing last year in his Quips section of DTI's site.

John Farnam's Quips - 22Aug07.html - Contact Wound!

There are several more posts close to that one that also relate to contact shots with a handgun. Hope this fills in some of the blanks.

FLSig

Quote Originally Posted by FLSig View Post
    John Farnham has done quite a lot of writing last year in his Quips section of DTI's site.

John Farnam's Quips - 22Aug07.html - Contact Wound!

There are several more posts close to that one that also relate to contact shots with a handgun. Hope this fills in some of the blanks.

FLSig
    Thanks
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links