Gun pushed into belly

This is a discussion on Gun pushed into belly within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So you are in close hand to hand combat. You pull your weapon and press it into the BG's gut. You pull the trigger and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun pushed into belly

Gun pushed into belly

So you are in close hand to hand combat. You pull your weapon and press it into the BG's gut. You pull the trigger and a muffled bang is heard.

Ok, so now what has happend? Did the barrel of the gun expand as if you packed it full of mud or were the tissues soft enought to allow effcient discharge of the gun disabling the Bg and not injuring you?

Would it be best to leave at least an inch or two between the barrel and the perp or would a press into the gut shot be okay to do?
    "Brains before Bullets"

2. Remove Ads

If you got an XD you don't have to worry about it...

As far as your scenario...I don't think many people shove a handgun into somebodys stomach in real life. In that scenario, it would probably be best to hit him over the head. You already let him get way too close.

In a normal gun, you would want to leave at least an inch or two 'between the barrel and the perp', not because the gun will not fire, but because there is a good chance it will not return to battery...which means your hi-cap handgun just became a one shot wonder...and you can probably forget about clearing a malfunction while engaged in 'hand-to-hand' combat. YMMV
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    Just remember that if you press your 1911 into the BGs gut too hard and push the slide a quarter of an inch rearward you are going to take your firearm out of battery and your pistol will not fire at all.
    A good thing to remember.

I'll let somebody else chime in with an answer to your contact gunshot wound question.

We'll see who gets it right.

Will the muzzle clog like it was obstructed with mud?

or.........

Will the bullet exit the muzzle normally and the entire explosive muzzle blast be projected into the internals?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'll let somebody else chime in with an answer to your contact gunshot wound question.

We'll see who gets it right.

Will the muzzle clog like it was obstructed with mud?

or.........

Will the bullet exit the muzzle normally and the entire explosive muzzle blast be projected into the internals?
    With the elasticity of skin and the stomach, I believe the gun will fire. We're not talking about Ernest Goes To Camp. There is a lot more pressure behind a bullet than skin can suppress.

You are of course right about the possibility of the gun coming out of battery as the slide is pressed against the abdomen.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Agreed with Kerb.

Draw and retain your weapon placing your wrist into your side at the top of your hip bone (fist willbe at or aside your belly) and firing with a slightly canted thumb out fist into the attackers own low midline. This is the Applegate method.

And while doing this, and I hate to say it as it's so cliche, you get off the X. Move laterally. If the attacker is right handed then move toward his strong side direction...to the right. Opposite if he's a lefty.

MOVE!, draw, retain to your person, set, fire...repeat until either _safe_ distance from the threat is regained and/or the threat is no longer threatening be he/she/it stopped on it's own accord, running away for it's life, dead, or you having moved yourself so well and speedy that there is distance enough to remain safe.

As to will a gun in the gut fire, yes.
    Not a question at all when it's a revolver.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am thinking the gun would most likely go bang without a problem, but am I right in thinking that if you are engaged in hand to hand combat with an unarmed perp you are NOT justified in using deadly force?

Now obviously many of us if overwhelmed might result to the action described in the OP's question if you could not overpower the perp and he was intent on ending your existance right there. BUT...that just seems like a very thin line.

Thoughts?
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Administrator
    That didn't take too very long.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The gun will fire the bullet that's why they call them contact wounds,like somebody said the pressure from the detonation will press the skin in,but also as far as a semi automatic if the gun slide is pushed out of battery the gun won't fire
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lewall
    Ok, so now what has happend? Did the barrel of the gun expand as if you packed it full of mud or were the tissues soft enought to allow effcient discharge of the gun disabling the Bg and not injuring you?
    you just blew a big nasty hole in him Ever seen one of those "shark guns" that divers carry?

There can be problems with using a contact shot with both semi-autos and revolvers. With the semi-auto, you have the aforementioned problem of pushing the slide out of battery if you apply too much pressure. With a revolver, there is nothing to push out of battery but there is (theoretically at least) a possibility for tissue to "blowback" into the action possibly causing the cylinder to bind prohibiting subsequent shots.

If I'm within contact range of my adversary, I'd generally prefer shoot from retention rather than making a contact shot. The position I like is known as a "pectoral index." This one is a little different than the one Janq mentioned above. In this position, the meat of your gun-hand thumb is pressed against the side of your pectoral muscle, the wrist is locked, and the elbow is high. This serves to orient the pistol at a downward angle.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Some good answers and insight..but getting back on track, the main question is, will the gun substain damage due to high pressures of the barrel being block or will the soft tissues absorb those pressures?
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Some good answers and insight..but getting back on track, the main question is, will the gun substain damage due to high pressures of the barrel being block or will the soft tissues absorb those pressures?
    I don't think there will be any major problems but never having had occasion to test this method, I'm not absolutely certain.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

IMO- The energy that is transferred to the target would be greater than the blowback and the body would take the impact and the gun would not be damaged. Permanent and temporary cavitation would occur in the body from the bullet as well as added cavitation from the blast pressure. The SA, if pressed against the body could cause it to go out of battery prior to the first shot, Usually the first shot will be OK and then the out of battery will more likely occur. A revolver would get all contact shots off without a problem.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Semi autos can jam if the slide is impeded through contact... I saw this happen when I watched a police dash cam video where the cop had to fight off a large professional fighter at over 275+lbs... the perp beat the cops face in, and the cop shot and the glock jammed and could not feed the 2nd shot (perp was litterally in his face)... perp continous to beat his face in but besides to stop, and HE WALKED AWAY, as if he was never hit. The only reason that cop survived was because the perp desided to end the confrontation! (perp survived gunshot wound to chest as well.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post

Just a guess on my part, but I'd say that no obvious damage would come to the barrel. Wouldn't expanding gases released into the body cavity prevent too much back-pressure from building up in the barrel?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member

Great tip, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    ots.

The position I like is known as a "pectoral index." This one is a little different than the one Janq mentioned above. In this position, the meat of your gun-hand thumb is pressed against the side of your pectoral muscle, the wrist is locked, and the elbow is high. This serves to orient the pistol at a downward angle.
    Nice!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links