Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

This is a discussion on Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jonesy_26 In this case, I would definately intervene. Stranger or not no one is going to commit a felony on my property ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

VIP Member

Would you make the 911 call first?

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    In this case, I would definately intervene. Stranger or not no one is going to commit a felony on my property if I am home.
    Would you make the 911 call first, and follow their instructions?

(Shades of the Horn case are filtering through my mind. But, the situation is slightly different.)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

I should have used the word responsibility instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Your conscience seems to work quite a bit different than mine.
    What I meant is the responsibility would not be mine if 911 said to stay put. Yeah, it would still eat at my conscience. We aren't different in that regard.

Whenever I hear gunshots, I take a quick look out of the window to see if there is anything obvious (e.g. guys running, cars speeding away). Typically I try to stay away from the door for a few minutes. If it sounds very close (e.g. within a block), then I call a couple neighbors on the same block (if they don't call me first). I usually don't call 911 for gun shots unless I see where they happened. Its very hard to pinpoint them or provide useful information if all you have heard is a couple "bangs". In particular in an urban environment, a large firecracker can sometimes be mistaken for a handgun.

As for the original question: I would never open the door. Unless the guy can ID himself as a LEO (which may be hard to do in this situation)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

First .... handgun on hip, shotgun in hands.... have a voice activated 911 ability, so phone 911 on speaker phone as I let him in ..... make sure things are clear & no immediate threat is apparent ... provide medical care I can....

And no-one would be allowed to approach near the area of the door, house, etc.... unless I knew them & / or police or ambulance. I would shoot the first SOB with the shotgun that approaches with a gun in his hand............and doesn't drop it within 1/10th of a second.

If he's at your door, you are already involved... the BG will know where to find you. I would rather handle it right then vs when they decide to possibly come back to eliminate witnesses.

Very situational. Second hypothetical (getting beat down outside), I'm intervening. We have a locked metal screen door that you can only see out of, so I can open the main door without allowing access.

First one is a bit more tricky. Hard to say, but I'm gonna try to help safely; I don't have a family of my own yet, so maybe that would change. I'm opening door one. He's stepping well back from the door with hands raised away from the body. Then I'll unlock the door, shotgun in hand (he can't tell when I'm unlocking except by sound). He comes in, steps to middle of living room and lies spread eagle, palms up, face away, while I lock the door. If somebody else is home one of us checking while the other watches, gun in hand. If it's just me, I'd probably switch to a handgun and check. Then we're away from windows, and I'll give what care I can till the police and paramedics arrive.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Man, this is one to consider. I would hate to have the guy bleed out on my front porch, but the shooter may be seconds behind, and think of me and my family as witnesses.

I would certainly call 911 first, or have the Wife do it from an inside room while I keep watch outside the small windows on the side of my steel front door. After a few seconds or so I may drag the guy in real fast and shut and lock the door and then start first aid.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    Whenever I hear gunshots, I take a quick look out of the window to see if there is anything obvious (e.g. guys running, cars speeding away). Typically I try to stay away from the door for a few minutes. If it sounds very close (e.g. within a block), then I call a couple neighbors on the same block (if they don't call me first). I usually don't call 911 for gun shots unless I see where they happened. Its very hard to pinpoint them or provide useful information if all you have heard is a couple "bangs". In particular in an urban environment, a large firecracker can sometimes be mistaken for a handgun.

As for the original question: I would never open the door. Unless the guy can ID himself as a LEO (which may be hard to do in this situation)
    Around here, sadly, I hear gunshots like once a weak, but distance gunshots... There's a place called Glenwood that's bad... and since it's not far, all the stuff ozzes out there. I usually take a look at mug shots and see where all these criminals live (the one's who are involved in violent crime.)
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Would you make the 911 call first, and follow their instructions?

(Shades of the Horn case are filtering through my mind. But, the situation is slightly different.)
    I would call 911 first if there was time. That's one of the things that would be dependent on the situation. If the guy shows up ranting and raving and 20 seconds later the BG's show up, before I or my wife can get on the horn, I won't just stand there and let the guy get killed on my doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    I would call 911 first if there was time. That's one of the things that would be dependent on the situation. If the guy shows up ranting and raving and 20 seconds later the BG's show up, before I or my wife can get on the horn, I won't just stand there and let the guy get killed on my doorstep.
    In most cases around here, you would save one BG from shooting another BG. In most cases, the shooting is some kind of drug dispute. There are very few "holdups" of upstanding citizens. And in these cases, they are hit and run. The BG would not follow the victim.

I would always call 911 first, and never fire on the "attacker". For all i know, it could be an undercover cop.

There was one sad case here last year: A home owner spotted a stranger in his back yard. This was a drug infested/violent neighborhood. In the past, he had called the cops multiple times in situations like that, without response. He took his gun and went out to shoot. The intruder turned out to be an undercover cop, part of a stake out. The cop returned fire and killed the home owner. I don't remember if the cop was hurt as well (they had several out there).

I can totally understand both sides of that situation. In short: I consider using my handgun as a last resort. Maybe throw an OC grenade first? Always call 911 first (in particular if the intruder is still outside and doesn't appear to be approaching the house).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Why not interview the guy on your porch who has been shot?

He comes up to the door and starts pounding. "Let me in! They are coming for me!" You grab your gun, flashlight or whatever. Shut the lights off inside and turn the porch light on(now he can't see in and he will feel exposed and is visible to you). If this makes him an easy target for some dirt bag then too bad. You have to be able to see him. Keep in mind if they start shooting at him, those bullets might come through your house, but I think the pros out weigh the cons. If their are really people shooting at him, he might run/stumble away when you turn the light on. That would be an easy fix.

Have you wife or whoever call 911 and get the kids into a safer place in the house. A note on this. The basement might seam like the safest place and would do a lot to protect them from bullets, but they might be trapped if you get hurt and it is not a walk out. This is the time to slow everything down and take control. At this point, enough time has passed that if anyone was right on his heels, they would have already been their attacking him. So the fact that they are not tells you something.

If you are going to look at him on the porch, be creative. Look from the lower corner of a window(after you shut the lights off inside), or from a window in another area of the house that gives you visibility.

If you cant see him well give him loud commands, "Back away from the door! Back up! If you want me to help you then back up to the edge of the porch! Let me see your hands(this may not be likely if he is using them to apply direct presser, but it doesn't hurt to ask)!" Keep in mind that he now knows where you are, so you might want to move to a different vantage point. Now say he backs up. At this point, you have established that you are in control and he better do what you say. Also you get a chance to get a good look at him and his hands. Now tell him, "I have called 911 and they have a Police Officer close by and on his way." This may be a lie, but if he is up to no good then make him think a cop is close. Again. If he is still standing on your porch then you have to wander how worried he is about somebody shooting him.

Now start asking questions like:

What do you want?

Who is after you?

Are you hurt?

Where are they now and what weapons do they have?

Try and gather enough information so that you can make an educated decision on the risk v's gain(remember to have your wife stay on the line with the cops and have her close enough that you can keep them updated on the information). You may decided to let him in, tell him to sit on the porch, go away, shoot him, or go out and help him. Don't limit yourself to one option, because the situation may dictated differently. Remember if you just tell him to go away, he will, to your neighbors door. How prepared are they to deal with this guy?

If for some reason you decide to go outside, say he passes out, and you see his attackers jump into a car and drive away, consider going out through the back door and coming around the house that way.

Just some of my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    In my state - as in most - you can defend the life of another. In my view, that's worth doing. If I see an obvious murder taking place I'll ventilate the attackers if I have a clear shot. Even if I save the life of some punk badguy I'm not going to have it on my conscience that I let a man get killed.

Seems to me like part of maintaining a civil society is that people don't let other people kill with impunity.

On the other hand, if I saw a fight and couldn't tell who started it or what the situation was, call 911 and let them handle it. I'm not a cop.
    I agree.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    Why not interview the guy on your porch who has been shot?
    Because I'm not running a shelter for those who have a hit squad on their tail...

He comes up to the door and starts pounding. "Let me in! They are coming for me!"
    And if you think I'm going to get involved with "Them" for you putting my family at risk, think again.

For that matter, tell me why I shouldn't order you off my doorstep at gunpoint or outright shoot you for bringing me trouble? You are pounding on my door, demanding to be let in...breach that door and you are getting fired upon, regardless of anything else.

Now start asking questions like:

What do you want?

Who is after you?

Are you hurt?

Where are they now and what weapons do they have?

Try and gather enough information so that you can make an educated decision on the risk v's gain(remember to have your wife stay on the line with the cops and have her close enough that you can keep them updated on the information).
    And you are expecting honest answers from this guy?

He will tell you everything and anything you need to hear to save his life...even lies.

People...this is a person bringing a gunfight to your door.

Treat him and everyone else in this situation as hostile.

None of them are friendlies and all of them are dangerous, so be prepared to drop EVERYONE if you intervene.

Nobody I don't know gets into the house. Especially in dangerous circumstances.

Different strokes for different folks.

It's a tough call, but he's probably going to lay there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Because I'm not running a shelter for those who have a hit squad on their tail...
    And you are expecting honest answers from this guy?...
    People...this is a person bringing a gunfight to your door.

Treat him and everyone else in this situation as hostile.

None of them are friendlies and all of them are dangerous, so be prepared to drop EVERYONE if you intervene.

Nobody I don't know gets into the house. Especially in dangerous circumstances.
    Totally agree.

In the first place, if you live in a neighborhood where a "stranger" can run up to your door trailing blood from bullet holes and start banging your door down then you really ought to know that your neighborhood is not secure.
    There's no way the guy is getting more than my call for professionals who have the best preparation and training for what they're getting into and maybe conversation through a bolted door with my S&W (don't have a Mossberg) at the ready just for good measure.
    Romantic elements and cinematic drama
    Now, if it were a collie or another breed of man's best friend, then

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links