Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

This is a discussion on Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It all depends, I live in a pretty quite neighborhood. I don't "know" everyone around me, but I know who belongs and who doesn't. If ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

It all depends, I live in a pretty quite neighborhood. I don't "know" everyone around me, but I know who belongs and who doesn't. If it is someone who I recognize they will be let in, the door will be locked behind them, and I will give them aid while waiting for the police and the medical staff to arrive.

If it is someone that is unfamiliar to me, we will just have to play it as I see it then. They might get in they might not. I might exit the house through the garage and assess what is going on then decide what I am going to do.

I would have a hard time living with the fact that I let a person die on my front porch because I was too afraid to give assistance to them, especially if all threats had ceased to exist. By sitting inside you can't really know if there is a threat left or not.

I would have a hard time explaining to my 5 yr old why there was a dead man on my porch, and I just sat and ate popcorn or whatever while he died. That would go against everything I have taught him so far.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Don't open the door, call 911, and then be prepared to "repel boarders."

I don't like the idea of jumping into the middle of a perfect stranger's shooting troubles since I have no idea what's really going on.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I agree on the neighborhood as part of the reaction plan here.....if you live in a high crime area or where there is an unsavory incumbent population, you might be hesitant to help anyone. I usually don't get that where I live, and it helps that even though I don't know everyone in the neighborhood personally, I would recognize a good deal of people in the immediate area from just residing here for awhile and outside most of the summer.

And even if the guy thats on my doorstep is a scumbag, if more scumbags show up, I'm not going to take the risk that they could harm my family in trying to finish their business with the first guy. They could fire at/into my house which puts me in the fight for my own reasons. If I end up saving scumbag #1 in the process, fine, the law will deal with him later.

Remain Cautious

First you are dealing with an unknown individual. Could be an innocent bystander and it might be a normal looking individual that escaped from a mental ward who after you bring inside wiggs out and pulls out a blade and shanks you. In circumstances such as this you are at a loss for knowing the actual circumstances as they have come upon you abruptly.
    I'm gathering if this is happening in a residential area if it is not criminally related the only other option would be possibly a domestic dispute.
    Ultimately, what one would do while calling authorities would depend a lot on how much you could survey visually from inside your home.
    I personally am going to stop anyone firing a weapon towards myself or my home, they are going down if I have a clear shot. A cop is not going to be blasting away at my front porch at someone already laying bleeding on my front porch showing no resistance. Cops aren't out to murder people and if they are into shooting people that are laying still bleeding on my porch than they aren't cops. Again if you see cops on the scene originally things will definitely play out differently.

Obiviously, if it is a full blown gun fight, no one is getting any help period!!. I'm getting my family to cover in center most portion of home or away from side of gunfight, and I'm covering the pertinent doorway.

Overall, what one would do can not be answered exactly the same way in every scenario, obviously. I pray you make the safest decision for yourself in this decision. And it has nothing to do with fear when not letting someone in your home. It is called wisdom when matters concern your family, regardless. For me given the circumstance would be risk the lives of 4 including myself for possibly helping one unknown inside my home. This is a pretty weighty decision. I would possibly offer some help outside my front door as long as no one else is around shooting. I would give some towels and advice to keep pressure on it. However, the whole time my gun would be drawn, and I would be scanning the area in front of my home. I would probably return to the inside of my home while waiting on the police and ambulance.

This is a crude example of what might go down at my house.
    I would rather sit before 12 than be carried by 6

"And if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one".---Jesus
    Luke 22:36
    to the remaining eleven disciples following the last supper.

Totaly stranger ... 911 and wait.
    The really nice family member from next door (assuming came home and encountered a BG), most likely open the door and as the wound is treased in my entry way. Remain VERY alert to what else is going on outside (who is walking up, etc), dial 911.... wait.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

call 911. round up the family and wait n' see.
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Grab your gun, call 911. YOUR FAMILY is your #1 PRIORITY. Keep the door closed!!!!

If I'm awake gun is with/on me, so that's not an issue.

This, from my standpoint is actually an easy scenario, as I've thought of this scenario myself. Here's what I would do.

Take a position where I could cover the door while I call 911 on the cell. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. As someone else has said, I'm not running a halfway house for wayward bullet recipients. I'm also not going to risk the security of my family for a situation that I know nothing about.

If someone comes on the porch after the guy, so be it. As long as they don't attempt to broach the door all is as fine as can be for me. How do I know that the one's chasing this bullet recipient aren't undercover LEO's effecting an arrest?

Now if the bullet recipient was an "identified" LEO, then all bets are off and I will defend him, but the odds of that are slim. I will be communicating with 911, and the bullet recipient, as well as anyone else that may join the festivities, but I'm not getting in to a gunfight for a stranger unless I know it's a LEO.

Some of you may find that "harsh" or think I'm being an elitist. That is not the case. Remember your Gun Safety Rules: "Know Your Target". I don't know the situation, and at this point you are not being a direct threat to my life, or the lives of my loved one's. Therefore, I'm not shooting or defending anyone if I can avoid it.

Life is hard, and full of hard choices. Maybe somebody that's innocent will die if I don't get involved more than I have already decided to. Guess what, My safety and the safety of my family comes first, everything else is secondary.

To those of you that say you couldn't live with yourself, you will. You will also be able to face yourself in the mirror each morning when you shave. It's all a part of living, and living can be hard. You may not be proud of what you've done, but you will be alive and may have prevented yourself from making a more serious mistake.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I'm awake gun is with/on me, so that's not an issue.

This, from my standpoint is actually an easy scenario, as I've thought of this scenario myself. Here's what I would do.

Take a position where I could cover the door while I call 911 on the cell. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. As someone else has said, I'm not running a halfway house for wayward bullet recipients. I'm also not going to risk the security of my family for a situation that I know nothing about.

If someone comes on the porch after the guy, so be it. As long as they don't attempt to broach the door all is as fine as can be for me. How do I know that the one's chasing this bullet recipient aren't undercover LEO's effecting an arrest?

Now if the bullet recipient was an "identified" LEO, then all bets are off and I will defend him, but the odds of that are slim. I will be communicating with 911, and the bullet recipient, as well as anyone else that may join the festivities, but I'm not getting in to a gunfight for a stranger unless I know it's a LEO.

Some of you may find that "harsh" or think I'm being an elitist. That is not the case. Remember your Gun Safety Rules: "Know Your Target". I don't know the situation, and at this point you are not being a direct threat to my life, or the lives of my loved one's. Therefore, I'm not shooting or defending anyone if I can avoid it.

Life is hard, and full of hard choices. Maybe somebody that's innocent will die if I don't get involved more than I have already decided to. Guess what, My safety and the safety of my family comes first, everything else is secondary.

To those of you that say you couldn't live with yourself, you will. You will also be able to face yourself in the mirror each morning when you shave. It's all a part of living, and living can be hard. You may not be proud of what you've done, but you will be alive and may have prevented yourself from making a more serious mistake.

Biker
    I disagree with this completely, but then again, me and Biker have consistently disagreed with when to 'get involved'.

I would bring him inside and call 911 or preferably have my wife call 911. If the police show up first, great! If somebody else shows up who wants to 'finish the guy off', then he will have to get past my front door. If he attempts to enter my home, he can argue with the Lord as far as whether or not I was just or not, but:
    1. Nobody is going to be killed in cold blood at my door step if I can help it.
    2. The Undercover LEO story just doesn't wash. If an undercover LEO trys to kill somebody in cold blood at my home I will intervene just as if it was a gang banger.
    3. When I got out of the service, I considered these situations and chose what I consider to be a safe neighborhood where crap like this does not happen. So far it has not.
    4. I would be prepared to shoot the person I 'saved' if circumstances dictated. i.e. he's coming in at gunpoint until I figure out more information. Unfortunately, criminals are getting smarter, and using 'victims' to gain access to homes.

But either way, I'm not going to let somebody bleed out or get executed on my porch while I stand by and watch.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I disagree with this completely, but then again, me and Biker have consistently disagreed with when to 'get involved'.
    That may be due to what each of us has seen an expirienced in life.

I don't go around looking for gunfights because people die in them, and there is no guarantee that I won't die either. I look for ways to avoid them if I can, sometimes you can't avoid them.

Biker

Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?
    Banging on my door is one thing.

Banging down my door is something else and will be treated as a "repel boarders" situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hello, my first post so dont rip on me please, I have lurked for awhile and have only recently got my CCW. These situational possibilities are really good for the learning, anyway my thought would be to leave the guy on the porch and call 911. Now what if it was a female that was on your porch same situation, handle it any different? For some reason it seems much harder for me to leave her on my porch.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ibowhuntaz View Post
    Now what if it was a female that was on your porch same situation, handle it any different?
    Many BG's understand that formula and have used it to gain entry in home invasions. A couple happened 'round these parts, in the past 2yrs or so. In the end, you makes your choice and takes your chances. Same as in any other situation, in this life.

Now, that being said, if I know the person, or it's a situation I'm following, or it's reasonably clear what's happening, that is something entirely different. I might well get involved, depending on the circumstances. Though, I do agree with BikerRN generally speaking: I and my family come first, with all else being secondary. That rule I only change when the situation demands it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    In most cases around here, you would save one BG from shooting another BG. In most cases, the shooting is some kind of drug dispute. There are very few "holdups" of upstanding citizens. And in these cases, they are hit and run. The BG would not follow the victim.

Very good point to consider, and one that's often overlooked!

Call the cops & EMS!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by ibowhuntaz View Post
    Hello, my first post so dont rip on me please, I have lurked for awhile and have only recently got my CCW. These situational possibilities are really good for the learning, anyway my thought would be to leave the guy on the porch and call 911. Now what if it was a female that was on your porch same situation, handle it any different? For some reason it seems much harder for me to leave her on my porch.

Ron

Male, female, bleeding not bleeding, blonde, redhead, it all makes no nevermind, you are not known to me and not coming in the door.

Yes, I can watch someone's death. Call me cold if you will, it's an occupational hazard. I deal in facts and reality, and the fact is that females are used as a ruse to gain entry often. The reality is that someone can die in front of me, I will ensure my safety and that of my family first.

Biker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links