Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what? - Page 4

Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

This is a discussion on Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Grab you're gun, stay inside, protect your family, call the cops and pray they get there in a reasonable amount of time....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Someone's banging down your door after you hear guns shots, now what?

Grab you're gun, stay inside, protect your family, call the cops and pray they get there in a reasonable amount of time.

i would... (assuming u can open your garage from in your house- i have a spare garage door opener near the entryway)
    also assuming i didnt see anyone coming...
    1. call 911
    2. open garage and tell guy to get inside and that help is on the way
    3. make sure all doors are locked, etc (while im doing 1 and 2)
    4. close garage door behind the guy
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    911 it is
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Having sat on juries for civil cases incolving "mutual" violence I have a different perspective.

Law only allows you to protect you and yours. (U.S. Supreme Court, many decisions, all over riding State Laws) Grand Jury may let you go but Civil jury will eat you alive!

If you have heard gunshots and are not now immediately involved, you are supposed to protect yourself and your family, primarily by avoiding any involvement with already existing fray.

If shots have already been fired and you were not involved, you are now entering an existing gunfight (not a self-defense situation) and are just another participant.

If it is one of my neighbors, and I know them to not be violent type, I will drag them into house while wife is talking to 911. However, having done this I am going to avoid any gun involvement if possible. (hide)

If it is a stranger or a neighbor who runs with the wrong crowd, 911 call is about only help I am going to give. (yeah, I know that's cold, but then again I am old and I didn't get that way by being stupid.)

In short, being in or a part of an existing altercation and drawing your piece pretty well negates any hope with a civil jury. You are not a cop and you are supposed to mind your own business.

I am a retired Marine, but this isn't VietNam. Different time and different place. Whatever you do, make sure you are obeying the law.

If you don't like the laws and are not going to obey them, then you shouldn't be carrying a gun. If your concience is hurting, talk this over with your local sheriff and see how he feels about it. That may color what you do.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Law only allows you to protect you and yours. (U.S. Supreme Court, many decisions, all over riding State Laws)

You are ... supposed to mind your own business.
    Citations, please?

You're saying one is legally, formally disallowed from helping others?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Law only allows you to protect you and yours. (U.S. Supreme Court, many decisions, all over riding State Laws) Grand Jury may let you go but Civil jury will eat you alive!
    This is simply untrue. And there are many states where there are no grounds for a civil suit on a good shoot.

I find it hard to believe that your statement is true in TN, but I know for a fact it is not the case in TX.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

the sign that i have hanging in my front picture window says it all just hope that they can read english it says " any one found here at night will be found here in the morning " case closed

Just turn the volume up on the television and hope they stop knocking.

Kerbouchard:

Tennessee has the same law Texas has. If you shoot somebody who is in the course of commiting a felony you can't be prosecuted. That is criminal only! Supreme Court of U.S. decision is that no state can pass a law that inhibits an individuals right to redress (right to sue.) Result: you can still be sued to the max for wrongful death or injuries. Most criminal (Grand Jury) results: GG wins/ most civil suits: BG or his survivors win. Defense attorney will bring up TN/TX state law/ Plaintiff's attorney will bring up USSC decision. Judge will order civil trial to proceed. Sorry but I have seen it in action (not against me) and you just don't have any protection against suit except that your life was in danger. Anything or anybody else and you lose the house and everything else! The law is designed to protect you and yours ONLY. This follows with the USSC decisions that a policeman is not required to protect you, you alone are responsible for your own protection. I don't agree with any of them, but be advised they are the law of the land.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Call 911 to request help, and if he breaches the door, fire for effect.

I duno who he is, what is going on, why someone is shooting at him...

And I really don't want to know.

As far as I'm concerned, if you bring a shooting to my door, you and the shooter are ALL my enemy.
    Yep--same here. +1, but I'll be moving out of the direct path of the door or shots fired, and locating a barricade and good firing position to cover anything that comes through.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Citations, please?

You're saying one is legally, formally disallowed from helping others?
    You are right, I phrased that wrong. Supreme Court has stated that you are responsible for your own safety. This includes safety of your family. Supreme Court has not stated you can protect others ( this will be basis of civil charges against you.You didn't have to jump in for other person.) I don't have cite on this one but I heard it in civil court while jury member. (Shooter lost case!) I am going online tonight and see if I can find case (It was between a John Q and State of NY about police responding late to scene). If I get cite, I will put it on forum here.

States differ in how they view this in criminal codes. Some have provision that gives blanket right to protect others, some make it very hazy whether you can, and some flat out state that you can only use deadly force to protect you or your own. You would probably do okay in criminal court (or in more liklihood, Grand Jury.)

Civil court loves the Supreme Court stuff though and it can be twisted to hurt you. You have to follow your concience, just be aware that as soon as you leave personal or family protection, it can be a whole different scenario. Tennessee does not have a "must retreat"law, but does state that the no need for retreat does apply only to personal protection. You are to avoid any situations that may endanger you personally, exercise good judgement and only respond when your life is actually in danger. You also are not to enter any type of existing altercation with a weapon. (Doesn't differentiate between BBQ fight between neighbors or Police arrest situation. Altercation is altercation. (Don't bring gun to a fight!)(Case Law)

I don't make the laws I just have to obey them and I don't all of them!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links