Interesting evening at my place.

This is a discussion on Interesting evening at my place. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About an hour and 15 minutes ago, I was sitting on the couch watching something on the history channel. Parents are out of town. All ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About an hour and 15 minutes ago, I was sitting on the couch watching something on the history channel. Parents are out of town. All of the sudden I hear 2 loud blasts from outside. Sounded like a shotgun. While getting my Maglite and phone out of my pocket I noticed the motion light in my backyard turn oun. Oh crap. Ran upstairs and loaded my(don't laugh, my reenacting weapons are the only guns in the house) M1860 Colt Army from Uberti. Called 911, Police showed up about pretty quickly, about 5 minutes after the shots. When they arrived, I left the pistol in the house and went outside. Police took a report from myself and the other neigbors. Apparantly, my nextdoor neighbor saw someone in his backyard, and fired two shots into the air. Guy ran off in my direction, and is what set off the motion light. Police are currently searching the neighborhood. I've shut off all lights, shut the blinds, closed and locked windows and double checked the doors, and loaded the double barrel 12 Gauge. Its going to be a long night.

Thoughts?

I think you're neighbour firing 2 shots in the air was reckless and in some states will get you arrested.That guy is long gone after getting shot at
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While not condoning warning shots, if they live in a place like most of my family does around here its out in the boooooo-docks. In the middle of the city, not a good idea of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I think you're neighbour firing 2 shots in the air was reckless and in some states will get you arrested.
    Insane, isn't it, that someone can fire two shotgun blasts near a criminal and be arrested for it, while firing two shotgun blasts into a criminal gets a kudos from the sheriff. Hm. If you think about it, that's probably the correct incentive. Shoot the criminal. Don't miss.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Okay, I just have to ask. Was the shotgun a muzzleloader too? And if you can get a blackpowder pistol loaded and primed in 5 minutes, you have my utmost admiration. I once...I said once...had a Remington New Army and Ruger Old Army blackpowder pistols. The first time out, I NEVER thought I would get those things loaded! I would have been one dead cowboy for sure! On second thought, I would have been the sissy general store owner as I could never load my guns. Sad.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well certain things you had worked well...cell phone, motion lights...and the police arrived in minutes, which would have seemed like an eternity if a person would have kicked in your door.
    Scary, but a wake up call none the less, use this to prepare yourself and family(if any) for another situation. have the firearm ready, alot of home defense people recommend an available firearm on each level of your house in which you spend time on.
    batton down the hatches at night. drop the blinds. install more lighting if needed...buy a loud barking dog...eliminate hiding places outside like overgrown shrubs, etc.
    thank God you and yours are ok...but talk to you neighbor about where those bullets may have landed....
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by Freakdaddy View Post
    Okay, I just have to ask. Was the shotgun a muzzleloader too? And if you can get a blackpowder pistol loaded and primed in 5 minutes, you have my utmost admiration. I once...I said once...had a Remington New Army and Ruger Old Army blackpowder pistols. The first time out, I NEVER thought I would get those things loaded! I would have been one dead cowboy for sure! On second thought, I would have been the sissy general store owner as I could never load my guns. Sad.
    As for the shotgun, yes.

Cap and ball revolvers are actually pretty quick to load once you get the hang of it.

As for my neighbor, I don't know what happened to him. Haven't seen him this morning(though that doesn't mean much). Police didn't mention whether they arrested or fined him.

All I can say is your neighbor is careless, he needs to be introduced to this guy named Sir Issac Newton the next time he thinks of firing warning shots in to the sky. A sprinkler head is cheaper than the medical bills of the person sitting under the arc of the returning slugs.

You did great by arming yourself with all the tools necessary, and kudos on leading that pistol that fast.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Go too sleep and have a good night. After two warning shots, I doubt the guy will come back. Regarding the warning shots: I am sure he just missed (at least that should be his story if asked ...). I think you can't be arrested for bad aim.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    All I can say is your neighbor is careless, he needs to be introduced to this guy named Sir Issac Newton the next time he thinks of firing warning shots in to the sky. A sprinkler head is cheaper than the medical bills of the person sitting under the arc of the returning slugs.

You did great by arming yourself with all the tools necessary, and kudos on leading that pistol that fast.
    Yeah, this is not the type of behavior I would have expected out of this guy. For what its worth, this is in a residential neighborhood and there is fencing between the houses.

Ease over there one day and, during casual conversation, glance at his side of the fence. He mighta missed (or hit) and didn't think that was the thing to say....

What is so dangerous about shooting a shotgun loaded with shot pellets into the air? They are not going to do any damage when they fall back to the ground. If he had it loaded with 00 buck shot or a slug, there might be some danger depending on the angle at which he shot the blasts.

One thing is for sure, the prowler will not be back in that area any time soon. Glad all your neighbors are safe, and hopefully the prowler will have gotten scared straight.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Those guys are long gone. Have a great night sleep

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    What is so dangerous about shooting a shotgun loaded with shot pellets into the air? They are not going to do any damage when they fall back to the ground. If he had it loaded with 00 buck shot or a slug, there might be some danger depending on the angle at which he shot the blasts.

One thing is for sure, the prowler will not be back in that area any time soon. Glad all your neighbors are safe, and hopefully the prowler will have gotten scared straight.

I do realize that we don't live in a vacuum, and that wind and resistance all play a role in velocity, etc. However, have had close friends (in their younger days) be on the receiving end of # 8 shots coming back to earth, and they still bear some pellets to prove it. If it goes up at 'x' fps, it will come back to the same spot at 'x' fps, as it will decellerate going up at the same rate it accelerates on the return trip....

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    I do realize that we don't live in a vacuum, and that wind and resistance all play a role in velocity, etc. However, have had close friends (in their younger days) be on the receiving end of # 8 shots coming back to earth, and they still bear some pellets to prove it. If it goes up at 'x' fps, it will come back to the same spot at 'x' fps, as it will decellerate going up at the same rate it accelerates on the return trip....
    Here we go again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links