Citizen tried to defend officer's life, was this the right thing IMHO?

This is a discussion on Citizen tried to defend officer's life, was this the right thing IMHO? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - police officer get shot and dies in routine traffic stop YouTube - Video captures cop killing What is your opinion of this citizen ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

YouTube - police officer get shot and dies in routine traffic stop

YouTube - Video captures cop killing

What is your opinion of this citizen who used a downed officer's service weapon to shoot the perp who was using his car to run over the downed officer?

Sadly, the officer was killed when he was shot dead by the perp first, the perp died after getting shot by the bystander who intervened and there were no charges against him as well.

IMHO, he did the right thing because the officer had no power to defend himself after he was shot in the back, and the perp was clearly determined to make shore he was dead by using his car as a weapon... I saw this same case on TV and saddly the media morons did their typical spine, they portrayed the perp as a victim of an officer who was "mean to him" in the past and the bystander who intervened as the vigilantly.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

I have my own gun so wouldn't need the officers and yes I would shoot to stop the threat period
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have my own gun so wouldn't need the officers and yes I would shoot to stop the threat period
    +1 Would not even be a choice for me. I will not sit back and watch an officer of the law be murdered without trying to help.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Ex Member Array TacticalCompact's Avatar
    I don't know enough. From what I saw, however, it's unclear to me why the officer chose to approach the driver and pepper spray him right off the bat. It could be that the driver had decided to give up, but once sprayed with pepper flew off the handle.

Not to justify murder, that was definately a horriffic thing to do. I'm just questioning the officer's choice once they had come to a stop. Why not wait for that backup to arrive? Why not order him out and down at gunpoint?

That is was LEOs do here, I've personally witnessed it. Just curious, too bad his mistake proved fatal.

Yes. There are times you must get involved and this would seem to be one of them. Completely different from chasing a fleeing thief IMO.

Administrator
    Worthless opinions and Monday morning quarterbacking set aside, yes, the guy did absolutely the right thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Why did the officer immediately walk up and use pepperspray?

I agree -- I would definitely intervene if I was able.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

When I first saw this on the evening news, I had issues with the officer macing down the guy inside his car, for no apparent reason.

But this particular channel did not review the officer had given chase, and had run-ins with this guy before.

Typical New York national liberal media news; Bad COP poor civilian, and they played up the part of a non-qualify civilian using the COPS gun to kill this poor kid like he was some kind of vigilantly instead of a hero that he is.

After watching U-Tube link, and a little more research I now have a better understand of what went down, and all I can say is what others have said.

Hind sight is always 20-20 and could of, would of, should of, is always perfect solutions.

My regrets to the officers family, and I’m no longer watching ABC.

The bystander did right, can't take this crap anymore or it will get worse.

One procedural question though, why did the office turn his back, he may have made it (not knowing where he was hit) through with only injuries.

Another defender fallen, prayers to his family and brothers in uniform.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I have watched a TON of traffic stops on Youtube with this same character in them. All of the local police knew this kid by name. They underestimated him; that's why they walked up and so casually sprayed him, then walked away. It was a routine thing. I think those officers sprayed that kid more often then they changed their socks.

The simple answer is "YES", it was the right thing to do.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalCompact View Post
    it's unclear to me why the officer chose to approach the driver and pepper spray him right off the bat.
    My guess would be (as a known offender) the officer was simply trying to disable the guy enough so that he wouldn't drive off again. Not a bad idea, but clearly demonstrates the limits of OC- something to keep in mind.

Agreed 100%. Absolutely the right thing to do.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's first Homeland Security

This was beat to death last year when it was news.
    Agreed with everyone else this is one of those times in life where the decision making chart is crystal clear as to what to do and not to do. What is 'right' and what is wrong.

Liko Kenney was that day a rabid dog plain and simple.
    He bit and he killed, that day.
    The citizen being a person skilled enough to be effective with the tools that became available to him he did what was both necessary and 'right' to the benefit of the community at large. He broke no laws in doing so.
    To my mind this is no different than stopping a person from fire bombing a school or preventing a person from abusing a child.
    Some things must be done to which there is no excuse or reasoning toward not acting, if you can.

If placed in the same place under the same conditions I'd expect and hope I'd do same. Though one never can know for sure until after it's done.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links