Uneasy Run + Approaching an Officer at Night

This is a discussion on Uneasy Run + Approaching an Officer at Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went for a run Sunday night. Iím not a big runner, but Iím trying to get in shape for rugby season. My typical procedure is ...

Thread: Uneasy Run + Approaching an Officer at Night

Uneasy Run + Approaching an Officer at Night

Went for a run Sunday night. Iím not a big runner, but Iím trying to get in shape for rugby season. My typical procedure is running to the nearest bus stop and back (exactly two miles). I donít carry when I run, so I tend to feel a bit vulnerable, and my SA is through the roof (or is it my overcharged paranoia?).

My neighborhood is relatively safe, but in Tucson violence/theft happens everywhere. Thereís a big apartment complex right at the entrance to the neighborhood which does attract crime.

Anyway, as I start heading back into my neighborhood, a police car drives by me, slowing at every side street and alley to use his spotlight briefly. Odd. So Iím a little nervous now. Instead of running on the sidewalk, I move out into the street slightly to give myself a better reactionary gap, and Iíve got my head on a swivel now.

The police car takes a turn out of my view. A minute or so later (okay, okay, seven or eight minutes later), I turn onto my street. Bear in mind that thereís only one entrance to our neighborhood Ė a mile away from my house, with about thirteen turns along the way Ė so nobody drives by our street on the way to somewhere else, and Iíve never seen an officer there who was just cruising. As I round th corner, I look up ahead about fifty yards and see that the police car is parked on the street right across from my house. Very odd. Very disconcerting.

Iím wondering whatís going on in my neighborhood. Why is the cop shining a light into every nook and cranny? Whatís he looking for? Why is he right across from my house?

I was considering whether to approach the car and ask him whatís up, but he wasnít in the car or on the street anywhere. So instead I went in my house, double-checked the locks/blinds/handgun/shotgun/etc., checked on the police car across the street every couple minutes till he left.

(an aside: a house-guest thought it would be funny to scare me Ė I rang the doorbell and then continued to scan the street behind meÖ perhaps I should have been scanning my houseÖ not very funny to my wired self)

So, the question for police officers here: would approaching the officer have been a big no-no? I was leaning against it Ė startling a man with a gun in the dark is not my idea of a good time. On the other hand, I had a lot of questions going on in my brain that I wanted resolved.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    The short answer is no, you already figured out that something is going on, and he doesnt need you as a distraction. If you must know what is going on, call the non emergency number and ask.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    No I certainly wouldn't distract the officer based on being curious about what's going on. You did the right thing by staying out of his way and going home to double-check your own security.

However if you had seen some character hiding in the bushes during all of this, it would be a good idea to phone the pd and tell them what you saw and where.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

You might wanta find a gun you can take jogging I have yet to see anyone run faster than a bullet
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You might wanta find a gun you can take jogging I have yet to see anyone run faster than a bullet
    The SmartCarry holster seems favored among joggers.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The short answer is no, you already figured out that something is going on, and he doesnt need you as a distraction. If you must know what is going on, call the non emergency number and ask.
    If an LOE is in active mode, distracting him/her would not be my choice. However, if the LEO is in passive/SA mode I would consider satisfying my curiousity. If the LEO is parked in my driveway, in front of my house or across the street, I'd want to know if entering my house is wise.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

ree
    I wouldn't approach the officer. If I really wanted to find out I'd probably start by changing the lighting (turning it on or off/on) on my porch to get his attention and then going out onto the porch and waiting for him to notice you and perhaps wave him over. Otherwise, call local dispatcher and ask.

As for not carrying while running, the smart carry idea is fine. But you might just be better off running in shorts without an elastic waistband (i.e. cargo shorts), using a belt and IWB carrying. It'll hold the gun even more stable than smarycarry/thunderwear. You just lose the super-cool-athletic-jock fashion statement that so many joggers/bikers/skaters think is mandatory to exercising.

Good advice guys. Some thoughts:

Re approaching the officer:
    -"Something is going on" -- I know this, but if it's something like "double homicide x miles away," I might be staying up with the shotgun in hand till the situation is resolved. I'll probably go with SIXTO's advice in the future and call the non-emergency number.

Re running unarmed:
    -Right now my only pistol is a Beretta 92FS -- just bought a Comp-Tac MTAC for a more effective carry, but that's still pretty impractical for running. I hate running in non-athletic shorts, and not because of the look (if I were that concerned with looks, I wouldn't run at all -- I've been told I run like a man in constant pain, hah). I just am not a fan of the discomfort on every level... I hate rugby shorts for the same reason (super-heavy cotton), and wouldn't wear them if I didn't have to. Hopefully at some point I'll get a subcompact and a SmartCarry for running.

Thanks again.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

+1 smart carry. I don't run much...unless i'm being chased or chasing, but when I do sc works fine.

Don't call the dispatcher. They have much more important things to do, and aren't going to tell you anything anyways.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
    Don't call the dispatcher. They have much more important things to do, and aren't going to tell you anything anyways.
    that would depend on a few things, but the officer wont say squat and be annoyed slightly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think that everyone here has given you good advice. Advice that would be appropriate in one situation or another. Here is my advice. Use your best judgment. Keep this in mind, cops are paid to make shoot and no shoot decisions. Don't worry too much about getting shot.

You might say something like, "Officer, do you have time to answer a question? Or are you too busy?" This makes it real easy for the cop to say, "I'm busy with something. No." Then say thank you and go away. I don't really consider that interfering, unless the cop is hiding in a bush or something and you gave away his hiding spot.

He might actually benefit from talking to you. If he was looking for somebody it might help him to know whether you saw the person you while you were out running. Use judgment, but don't be afraid of them.

Administrator
    JudoJake makes a good call, I guess you would have to use common sense and make that call yourself, as each and every situation is different as is the atmosphere for town to town.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by biasedbulldog View Post
    Went for a run Sunday night. I’m not a big runner, but I’m trying to get in shape for rugby season. My typical procedure is running to the nearest bus stop and back (exactly two miles). I don’t carry when I run, so I tend to feel a bit vulnerable, and my SA is through the roof (or is it my overcharged paranoia?).

My neighborhood is relatively safe, but in Tucson violence/theft happens everywhere. There’s a big apartment complex right at the entrance to the neighborhood which does attract crime.

Anyway, as I start heading back into my neighborhood, a police car drives by me, slowing at every side street and alley to use his spotlight briefly. Odd. So I’m a little nervous now. Instead of running on the sidewalk, I move out into the street slightly to give myself a better reactionary gap, and I’ve got my head on a swivel now.

The police car takes a turn out of my view. A minute or so later (okay, okay, seven or eight minutes later), I turn onto my street. Bear in mind that there’s only one entrance to our neighborhood – a mile away from my house, with about thirteen turns along the way – so nobody drives by our street on the way to somewhere else, and I’ve never seen an officer there who was just cruising. As I round th corner, I look up ahead about fifty yards and see that the police car is parked on the street right across from my house. Very odd. Very disconcerting.

I’m wondering what’s going on in my neighborhood. Why is the cop shining a light into every nook and cranny? What’s he looking for? Why is he right across from my house?

I was considering whether to approach the car and ask him what’s up, but he wasn’t in the car or on the street anywhere. So instead I went in my house, double-checked the locks/blinds/handgun/shotgun/etc., checked on the police car across the street every couple minutes till he left.

(an aside: a house-guest thought it would be funny to scare me – I rang the doorbell and then continued to scan the street behind me… perhaps I should have been scanning my house… not very funny to my wired self)

So, the question for police officers here: would approaching the officer have been a big no-no? I was leaning against it – startling a man with a gun in the dark is not my idea of a good time. On the other hand, I had a lot of questions going on in my brain that I wanted resolved.
    yes.
    When an officer is conducting an investigation the last thing he wants is to be bothered by someone being inquisitive. Now I know you may have concern, but an idea would be to call your local precint first and find out what is going on. If after the police have stopped investigating, then maybe you can go outside and talk to them.
    One more step and it's on!

Links