What to do in another Virginia Tech incident? - Page 5

What to do in another Virginia Tech incident?

This is a discussion on What to do in another Virginia Tech incident? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JudoJake Believe me any comment from me was not meant to be insulting. I believe you based on the tone of your ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What to do in another Virginia Tech incident?

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    Believe me any comment from me was not meant to be insulting.
    I believe you based on the tone of your first post, after rereading it.

Here is where we differ. The degree of love for humanity, as you mentioned; You don't feel the need to protect them as much as you do to protect yourself.
    Slightly different interpretation, which may have been what you meant by extension: ...to protect my family.

I really don't care much about myself and the idea of trying to live as long as possible, other than how it impacts my family. I have had so many great opportunities in life that if I were to pass away now, I would have no right to complain about the life I've been given. But without trying to sound conceited, my family does need me. They would survive if I wasn't around, but it wouldn't be easy, and it wouldn't be comfortable.

But you are correct on where we differ: I place concerns for my immediate family above concerns for humanity as a whole.

I try and I think really do, to a degree, "Love my neighbor as myself."
    Fair enough. That is a good principle to live by.

And here is my quote that I am trying to live by now: "If a man won't provide for his own family, he is worse than an infidel."

I'm not trying to be critical.
    I know.

I hope that when the next incident like this happens that I am their to stop it. It is not about being a hero.
    I apologize for that unfair characterization. We do need people who will stop situations like that, when it is possible.

It is a lot harder for these dirt bags to hit their target when it is shooting back and not just laying their begging for it's life.
    Agreed. They are cowards who need to be removed from our society.

One man in the first few minutes with a gun is worth three SWAT Teams and a Navy Seal squad in fifteen minutes.
    This is an important point: the timing of an armed response by a citizen is critical as to how it is played out. Once police are on scene and advancing with weapons drawn, it becomes increasingly dangerous to be moving around with weapon drawn. But an immediate and violent response to a shooter might abruptly stop the killing of innocents.

I think I can win.
    And with this mindset, coupled with quick action and the grace of God, perhaps you will.

Grady. Thank you sir.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would tell everyone to stay calm and silent, and let them know that I am armed and am going to take a defensive position, draw my gun, and line the sights up with middle of the door. If anyone else is armed, they can do the same if they wish. If that door opens, I will have to make sure it is not an innocent bystander trying to seek cover, or LEO responding to frantic 911 calls. If it is a guy wanting to shoot everyone in sight, I will run all 16 of my 124 gr. 9mm HSTs into his chest and head if I can, reload, and see if he's still standing. Once that is done, holster my gun, check for victims in the room, and wait for LEOs to arrive.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CR2008 View Post
    Another unreasonable comparison... with the friend, you could swim (I would assume you could swim) and you KNEW the situation... and I have yet to hear one possible "hunter" to tell me how they would know the situation, everyone keeps assuming it's only one killer where there could be many, everyone keeps assuming that it could not be a terrorist attack (though it has happened overseas), everyone keeps assuming that they are armed only with pistols (though many were armed with high powered rifles that could gut you even with what little cover you could have), everyone keeps assuming that they don't have body armor (though it could be purchased online easily) etc. I would make no assumptions, especially in a deadly situation as a school massacre.
    The comparison is valid because we were comparing the risks involved. It was not known to me weather I would survive the river by myself, let alone rescue my friend. It was not known to me what dangers were around the next bend. It was not known to me if my friend was so panicked that he would try to drown me. The risk in both scenarios is my untimely death. Yes I do know how to swim. I also know how to shoot. I have eyes that can see a murderer in action and ears than can hear gunfire. Like I said before, it's a personal choice of what would be worse (for you) in the long run. I believe there are things worse than death. I go.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The comparison is valid because we were comparing the risks involved. It was not known to me weather I would survive the river by myself, let alone rescue my friend. It was not known to me what dangers were around the next bend. It was not known to me if my friend was so panicked that he would try to drown me. The risk in both scenarios is my untimely death. Yes I do know how to swim. I also know how to shoot. I have eyes that can see a murderer in action and ears than can hear gunfire. Like I said before, it's a personal choice of what would be worse (for you) in the long run. I believe there are things worse than death. I go.
    And what about friendly fire? If there was an off duty cop, another CCW "hunting" etc... then you will have to deal with the psychological trauma of killing an innocent person along with the sorrow of the family members and possible charges of manslaughter at the lest.
    http://www.bloombergfightbackfund.com/
    Sig P220R/Sig P239 (9mm)/ S&W 640/ Ruger Single Six Hunter (.22LR/Mag)/ CZ 452 Varmint .22LR/ Lee Enfield No4 MK2 sporterized dated 1959/ Mosin Nagant M90-30 dated 1942/

VIP Member
    Clearly you are not capable of understanding any other side to the argument. Good day.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

I would let that (liberal sheep) have a chance to go out into the hall and try to talk sense to the maniac with the gun. I bet he wouldn't get two words out before the maniac started shooting.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Sponsored Links