Question about concealed carry in a Post Office

This is a discussion on Question about concealed carry in a Post Office within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Robert Louis Williamson’s Weblog (Rob the Lawyer Criminal Defense Blog) Recently I’ve been asked about carrying a firearm into a Post Office. Most people think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar

Robert Louis Williamson’s Weblog (Rob the Lawyer Criminal Defense Blog)

Recently I’ve been asked about carrying a firearm into a Post Office. Most people think this is illegal because most Postal facilities have a “No Guns Allowed” sign on the front entrance. I did some research on this, and found that it is in fact, NOT illegal to carry a firearm into a Post Office as long as certain conditions are met.
    Question about concealed carry in a Post Office « Robert Louis Williamson’s Weblog
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I have heard this argument both ways for several years now...once somebody takes care of the test case and ensuing trial I will consider it.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I have a P.O. Box. I'm in my post office a few times a week and sometimes need to go to the desk clerks for packages or to send items requiring extra postage and such. My post office does not have anything visibly posted. I don't ever worry about it actually. Any place that is posted, or my local or federal government offices-I comply. We don't have enough officials to enforce the laws as it is---what makes anyone think there's going to be a 'spot the CCW guy in the lobby' investigator? I'm by no means implying anyone with a permit take a risk, but like most of our laws---they depend on dis-information or vague information at best. Take for instance I know more about the traffic laws of my state than most state/local law enforcement officers. It's been proven time and time. There are still two widely know state traffic laws that are seldom enforced here and I see dozens of blatant violations every day on the road.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I have heard this argument both ways for several years now...once somebody takes care of the test case and ensuing trial I will consider it.
    Passed the Bar in Virginia?

If it gets to, someone might take you up on the offer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

My post office does have a posting, and I just don't do it. I don't want to be the test case.

... a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

As mentioned, a judge can determine on his/her own what a "lawful purpose" is.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hi guys,

I'm the attorney that wrote that. If anyone has questions, or comments, or anything, I'd be happy to answer them. I followed the trackback over here. Glad to find another pro-2A website!

Mine isn't posted and the other day i walked in carrying as i started to enter the area to ship packages i saw those things look like anti theft entryway and i thought uhoh metal detector but figured if keys etc won't set it off so walked in and if it would of beeped ida done a 180 and came back later unarmed lol
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsesquire View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm the attorney that wrote that. If anyone has questions, or comments, or anything, I'd be happy to answer them. I followed the trackback over here. Glad to find another pro-2A website!
    Welcome Aboard

Nothing personal, but hope none of us need your services, or referrals anytime soon.

From SWVA
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Welcome Aboard

Nothing personal, but hope none of us need your services, or referrals anytime soon.

From SWVA
    Hahaha.. understood. I'm a frequent poster at ar15.com and GT (under a different name though). Good to be here, and I'll add this to my "list" of sites that I frequent.

Hi guys,

Welcome! So... would you carry into a Post Office yourself?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Welcome! So... would you carry into a Post Office yourself?
    Yep. I may be one of the few that actually practice what I preach.

I've carried into a post-office, not often, but I have. Usually if I drive there I will put it on the drivers seat or other hidden area before I go in. If I walk there I usually carry. I'm concealed and they don't have a right to search me and I doubt they really care. There is a sign, but it's so awkwardly located that unless you are looking for it, you'll never see it.
    Criminals For Gun Control
    Brady's Campaign Pro-Gun Forum

Member: NRA, PG-NH, GO-NH
    Life Member: JPFO, GOA
    Clubs: LF&GC

I do since there is no state law against it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    I'm concealed and they don't have a right to search me
    If the officers can demonstrate an "articulable suspicion," they can search you for a weapon without probable cause. See Terry v. Ohio.

Hi guys,

What about 39 CFR?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links