didn't like this one bit..

This is a discussion on didn't like this one bit.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well here is my first post here and wish it was better than this. heres the deal just moved into a new Town home in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: didn't like this one bit..

didn't like this one bit..

well here is my first post here and wish it was better than this.

heres the deal just moved into a new Town home in a really nice part of town and no issues with anything around the area all nice places hell there is even a starbucks in walking distance.

a few days a go while getting rdy to head out with some friend the door bell rings. ?? thinking my friends are early i look thru the window next to the door only to see someone i don't know. that strange thing too is i just had gotten dress and placed my .45 in the holster. so as i go to open the door with my aussie going nuts to see who is on the other side. long story he goes into some speach about who he is and he is going around to meet his people in the area as part of his relocation program ?? at that point im like sorry you need to go now... but he only seem to want to move when i said if i open this door to shake your hand (which he extened to my closed screen door) my K9 unit will rush you...only then he desided to move along....

then the next day i get another guest at my door asking me question about what i do for a living so he and his group... can get insprational stories about people... again im like you need to go and sorry not going to help you...

its funny my aussie is barking the whole time but you can't see the little fuzz ball thou she sounds like some 100lbs monster.

now my wife gives my static cause i seem like i don't trust ppl but i know when someone is asking questions that would give them all the info they need to know what hours you work and how much you make which now leads to what possbile goodies you will have in the house... dam that intel background of mine...

what do you think ?? am i too on edge or should i treat this as ops normal for knock and ask for money people...?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It seems a little odd to me, if they were part of a Home Owners Association that you joined maybe. But two guys that just want to get to know you when you first move in seem a bit odd to me.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I like gathering info on folks in my neighbor hood but I do it in stealth mode. I never give out infor until I have some feel for someone. Hmmm sounds like you did pretty right to me. Don't ask me any questions until I invite you over..........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Yeah, I would definitely be keeping an eye out for anything strange. I am not a big fan of strangers coming to my door. If they are not invited, they are not wanted.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I don't like people I don't know crossing no mans land,the area from the curb to my front door,I think when they hear me ask what they want thru the closed door things won't be going well for them.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We get a lot of the Mormons and Jehovah's witnesses coming to our door. I usually see them coming and when I do I just ignore the doorbell, even though my dog goes crazy. No offense to their beliefs or their cause, but I think the day of door to door evangelizing should come to an end, for their own safety. It's dangerous enough to deliver pizzas these days, let alone knocking on a stranger's door to talk about God.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Sounds like your wife needs to be more apprehensive! I don't open my door for strangers...period.People coming to your house for information? nope not common no matter where you moved to...tell them to go away!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

To start with, Welcome. Now for the rest of it, I feel it's non of their business what you do in life. I don't blame you for feeling some thing isn't right.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Always trust you're first instinct until the situation proves otherwise. Its ok to be friendly but people can also be too nosy.
    NRA Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just tell them you are a Navy Seal and go around the world blowing things up.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by NKMG19 View Post
    Always trust you're first instinct until the situation proves otherwise. Its ok to be friendly but people can also be too nosy.
    +1.

Times are changing (have changed) and you have to be careful. Better to be safe than sorry. I've even told people that I work from home or that my brother works with me so that if they see me leave, they don't know if someone else is not there. In fact, one time I was going camping with my family and just as I was leaving, my neighbor yells from across the street, "you going out of town?" And this was a new development so there were probably 20 or 30 construction workers next door who stopped to look. Of course, this pissed me off and I yelled back that I was just taking some stuff over to my brother's house and would be right back. This same neighbor got robbed twice since moving in...go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Heat View Post
    +1.

Times are changing (have changed) and you have to be careful. Better to be safe than sorry. I've even told people that I work from home or that my brother works with me so that if they see me leave, they don't know if someone else is not there. In fact, one time I was going camping with my family and just as I was leaving, my neighbor yells from across the street, "you going out of town?" And this was a new development so there were probably 20 or 30 construction workers next door who stopped to look. Of course, this pissed me off and I yelled back that I was just taking some stuff over to my brother's house and would be right back. This same neighbor got robbed twice since moving in...go figure.
    Love your mind set and that's the way it should be.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

JD
    Administrator
    I think you need one of these...

The last house we lived in was a patio home on a one street cul-de-sac development. There were only about 20 houses on the street, and the cul-de-sac was accessed off another dead end street. About 2.5 years ago, after having lived there for several years I had a little "incident" one night.

It was about 8PM one evening, and I had just gotten home from having dinner with a friend. I had parked my car in the drive, as my brother in law had been over earlier putting a new dishwasher in for me and I had some tools that needed to be put away (1 car garage- couldn't even walk in there if the car was parked in it). Thinking I would only be a minute, I left the garage door open.

I walked in the house and back to the bedroom to kick my shoes off. As I was walking back to the front of the house I heard someone outside "Is anybody home?" It sounded like it was coming from the vicinity of my front door- and as I wasn't expecting anyone I ignored it. A minute or two later a woman walks in my garage door, which opened into the kitchen.

She was maybe 45-55 years old, well dressed with nice jewelry. She had a small cut across the bridge of her nose. She seemed confused. My first thought was that she had been in an accident or something. I asked if I could help her. She told me she needed me to give her a ride somewhere. I offered to call someone for her. About this time I started to notice "odd" things- like the fact that she didn't have any shoes on (socks, but no shoes) and it was December. She became insistent- and I was getting a weird vibe from her. I offered to call someone for her, to call her a cab, etc. She kept insisting that I drive her somewhere. Finally I told her that I had just gotten home from dinner with a friend and had been drinking, so couldn't drive. She then started asking me for a drink.

I started telling her she needed to leave. We went round and round about that- and she kept saying "You'll call the police as soon as I leave." I told her that f course I would do no such thing. I finally got her out of my house- closed my garage door, armed the alarm and ... called the police. Officer came by and talked to me, but they didn't see the woman in the area.

This scared the crap out of me.

The next week there was an article in the paper about a similar incident in a nearby neighborhood. This time the homeowner was an elderly woman. The woman who walked in on her had a gun and threatened the homeowner with it. The homeowner managed to get away unharmed and the woman was arrested. Her description matched my "random crazy lady".

Now, unless I am expecting someone or know who it is- I don't open the door. I don't tell people to go away, I just don't open the door. I don't care if people think I'm rude. Yes, I live in a nice neighborhood- but there are just too many crazies out there.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

When I move to a new area, I love it when the neighbors come over to meet and great. I often offer them a beer, and converse in idle chit chat.

That way Iím being neighborly, and yet besides telling them where we moved from, Iíve pretty much told them nothing.

But on the other hand during our chit chat, Iíve asked them where they live, where they work, and for lack of better words, started developing a relationship, yet again told them very little about ourselves.

Maybe itís skill I learned at work, but it is now part of who I am. I should also tell you that some of my best friends are my neighbors, and you only have one chance to make a good impression.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links