Scare Tactics

This is a discussion on Scare Tactics within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I found a clip from this TV show where the show intentionally tries to scare the devil out of some unsuspecting victim. http://www.alldumb.com/item/18186/ (This ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scare Tactics

Scare Tactics

So I found a clip from this TV show where the show intentionally tries to scare the devil out of some unsuspecting victim.

http://www.alldumb.com/item/18186/
    (This is a bit graphic)

I was thinking about how badly this could go if one of us were to be the one being tricked. What if this specific scenario plays out just a little bit different, and this barber pauses long enough in between bringing the razor to the man's throat and slitting it for us (the unsuspecting scaredy cat) to draw, analyze the scenario, and possibly fire. With a razor to the neck we have every justifiable right to fire. If it were me and I was thinking the situation was real I would still give verbal commands after drawing which would give the barber time to confess the real situation. Just my two cents as I was watching and thinking how badly it could have gone if the victim were carrying.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I actually think some of these ''stunts'' go way too far. When they are well thought out the effect is so real that about anyone could get fooled and drawn in.

I guess in this one - at a firearm presentation the ''barber'' would have responded instantly with explanation - I'd hope. But sure - if this has extreme reality what is the average carry guy gonna do - watch a throat cutting?

I fear these go too far - or is that just me gettin' old!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    The video keeps freezing.

Scare Tactics is a stupid show, and I admit I've only watched half of one episode. I'm assuming the "victims" are truly unsuspecting. From the commercial clips, you'd think the victims are totally incapable of responding in a manner other than screaming and freaking out. They'd have to deliberately select weak, incapable people to be the victims, because a smart ones would end up harming somebody.

Luckily, my friends aren't dumb enough to use me as a victim.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

One would hope that the people around us would be intelligent enough not to set something like that up. As above, smart people can be dangerous, if surrounded by stupid ones.

In that scenario I'd say it's justifiable to shoot him WITHOUT a warning, given the close proximity, the fact that he just "killed" a man in front of you and started threatening you to "stay with him" or what?

It's only a matter of time before they pick the wrong mark. Same with the "jackass" stunts people were playing after the movie. Walking up and cold cocking people on street corners, etc.

If they still make that show, it's only a matter of time before somebody dies.

What I'd do

Even if I presented, and he came clean and the situation was de-escalted, after I found out what was really going on, I'd still probably give him a haymaker for being so stupid.
    <Yep that's really me rounding up a herd

1952 - 2006
    I saw this show when it first came out and remarked to my family that this was a very bad idea. If I was confronted with one of the scenarios they put together and it was enough to scare me that bad, someone is going to get shot.

As Betty said, fortunately, my friends aren't dumb enough to pull this on me.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore
    I think thats really whats keeping the show alive ... there's that slight possibility that someone will be packing, or have a heart attack.

In a slightly related note, my wife filled out the paperwork to maybe get me on Overhaulin'... the questionare asks lots of questions about how I would react ... I imagine they weed out people who aren't meek sheep if nothing else for the safety of the crew (someone "steals" my car and somebody is gonna get hurt).

We never heard back from the Overhaulin' people.
    Last edited by Zundfolge; November 4th, 2005 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore

I might consider watching it then.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Luckily, my friends aren't dumb enough to use me as a victim.
    Unfortunately my soon to be sister in law isn't very bright. She decided that it would be funny to scare me, she wanted to see just how "tough" I was. Luckily my fiance stopped her, however, the ensuing argument was quite interesting.

"Why shouldn't I scare you, would you have used your knife?"

No-

"You have a gun, don't you! You would have shot me?!"

Yes, I have a gun, no I wouldn't have shot you.

"Then why shouldn't I have scared you?"

You would have been very close when you jumped at me. I probably would have hit you open handed and then thrown you over the balcony.

For some reason we don't get along very well......

A1C Lickey

Lead Moderator
    yup, the show could wind up really bad if someone here was on. This same reason us guys don't mess with each other out camping or anywhere else for that matter. Someone could get shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    I think thats really whats keeping the show alive ... there's that slight possibility that someone will be packing, or have a heart attack.
    In the first case, it would be very bad for our side politically.

VERY B-A-D.

In the second case, it'd bankrupt the network or parent company in the subsequent lawsuits. I'm thinking they have to be screened for sheeple to use very carefully. I'm sure a background check revealing any military service, or a CCW or membership in a shooting club or martial arts experience...all would be disqualifiers. LOL But, sadly...there is NO shortage of true sheeple.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    They had one where the reaction of the guy to be scared wasn't what they expected.

It was a hitch hiker scenario. The hitch hiker was in the passenger seat and the scaree was driving IIRC. When the hitch hiker went into total wack job mode the scaree beat the actor badly enough to hospitalize him.

They were also sued because a scaree ran into the desert and got tore up in some cactus.

I agree. They better be sure to never have the wrong person on that show. Could be bad for a lot of people.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    I agree that it would go down very badly for us should a permitholder get caught up in this mess.

"See? That's why we need stricter gun control. We can't have people with guns taking matters into their own hands - they end up shooting innocent people. People won't be able to play harmless pranks anymore without fear of getting shot. Next thing you know, children are being murdered for toilet papering the neighbor's tree."

"The heck" with taking innocent, unsuspecting people and making them feel like they are in honest, life-threatening danger. I suppose if a scaree had a heart attack and died, the ratings for the show would soar.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links