Neighbor Scare last night

This is a discussion on Neighbor Scare last night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night at about midnight while my fiancé and I were getting ready for bed someone knocked on our apartment door. I thought it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor Scare last night

Neighbor Scare last night

Last night at about midnight while my fiancé and I were getting ready for bed someone knocked on our apartment door. I thought it was a little strange so I approached the door cautiously. (Side note, there have been numerous car break-ins and thefts lately in my area.) I looked through the peep hole and it was covered so this made me very worried so I quickly went into my bedroom which is near the front door and got my M&P 9c from my bedside table and returned to the door. All the while the person outside is still knocking. I asked through the door for whoever was on the other side to stop covering the peep hole. The person outside did not respond. I had my fiancé on the phone with the apartment complex security, whom is an off duty police officer. I again asked the person to stop covering the peep hole. After asking again they did. I looked through and all I could see was a guy’s face. I asked him to step back from the door. He did enough that I could see both hands clearly and they were empty. I cracked the door with my left hand and my M&P in my right hidden behind the door. The guy then proceeded to tell me that he was my downstairs neighbor and that my dishwasher was too loud and keeping him and his girl awake. At this point the security arrives and asked what was going on. My fiancé came and took the M&P so I could open the door to talk to the officer. The night ended with the officer informing my neighbor that covering the peep hole was not a good idea and there were better ways to handle the noise complaint.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by FLEric View Post
    I looked through the peep hole and it was covered

The night ended with the officer informing my neighbor that covering the peep hole was not a good idea and there were better ways to handle the noise complaint.
    Not a "normal-person" action. Sounds like you need to keep an eye on a problem. Stay safe. Be sure your fiance knows its socially acceptable to talk to people through the door, or to have security/management talk to the individual for her, if she's alone.

Quote Originally Posted by FLEric View Post
    Last night at about midnight while my fiancé and I were getting ready for bed someone knocked on our apartment door. I thought it was a little strange so I approached the door cautiously. (Side note, there have been numerous car break-ins and thefts lately in my area.) I looked through the peep hole and it was covered so this made me very worried so I quickly went into my bedroom which is near the front door and got my M&P 9c from my bedside table and returned to the door. All the while the person outside is still knocking. I asked through the door for whoever was on the other side to stop covering the peep hole.
    My rule is very simple: I don't open my door.

Friends who are coming over, call me first. If it's not them, then it's someone trying to sell me something, or do me harm. Either way, they're not getting in.

For myself, at midnight nobody who attempts to block the peep hole is getting inside.

One alternative is to crack open a window just a bit, and speak through that. This keeps you out from behind the door, which is a primary line of fire for an inbound miscreant's bullets. It also avoids unlocking and unbarring the door, which is an invitation.

Suggestion: in such situations in future, consider answering the door already armed, instead of having to go retrieve it once you realize it's less than savory (which might be too late).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Watch this guy. Maybe he was trying to get the jump on you by covering the peephole. Regardless of his motive, it was deceit on his part.

I've lived in apartments before where neighbors often kept us awake very late just by their normal activities. They were rude in that they didn't even try to keep things quiet. Did you really need to be running the dishwasher at midnight? Apparently your neighbor can hear it. Or was it just a made-up story? If it was true, I think a little courtesy, especially in apartments, would go a long way. Yes, you may have the right to run the dishwasher at midnight. He also has the right to confront you about it. Perhaps you can avoid situations like that by being quieter at night.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Watch this guy. Maybe he was trying to get the jump on you by covering the peephole. Regardless of his motive, it was deceit on his part.

I've lived in apartments before where neighbors often kept us awake very late just by their normal activities. They were rude in that they didn't even try to keep things quiet. Did you really need to be running the dishwasher at midnight? Apparently your neighbor can hear it. Or was it just a made-up story? If it was true, I think a little courtesy, especially in apartments, would go a long way. Yes, you may have the right to run the dishwasher at midnight. He also has the right to confront you about it. Perhaps you can avoid situations like that by being quieter at night.

+1. It seems shifty to cover up the peep hole like that. And +1 to not being the "noisy" neighbor.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Looking through the peep hole has always been iffy for me. I bought a camera system just because of this. If you don't have a camera just talk through the door while not standing directly in front of it. If I don't recognize your voice its very rare that your gonna get me to open my door. The neighbor is looking for trouble by covering the peep hole.
    NRA Member

I've lived in apartments before and I've been on both sides of the story. There were times that I did things that probably annoyed neighbors. It's not that I didn't care that I was bothering people; I simply didn't realize I was doing it. I was young and stupid. I've also been kept awake by noisy neighbors and had all sorts of un-neighborly things run though my mind about the offender.

Your neighbor was probably pretty upset and wanted to do anything to might get under your skin. Or maybe he was planning on jumping you when you opened the door. If that was the case, he probably figured out you weren't a soft target by the way you handled things. It sounds like you handled things well. But I would suggest trying not to run noisy appliances so late.

Sheesh, they can hear the dishwasher through the floors...what else can they hear through the floors?
    Don't knock on my door and cover the peep hole...this guy sounds very strange...I'd avoid him, if possible...I'd also find a quieter apartment...OMO
    Like another already stated, always answer the door at nignt WITH your sidearm...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think you messed up the second you cracked the door even tho his hands were empty when you looked when he heard you unlock the door he could of pulled a gun from cover and as the door opened hit it with a shoulder knocking you backwards while getting his gun on you and you would be dead meat,do not open you're door to strangers ever,too many home invasions start with a knock on a door
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

He was checking to see if you were there. Covering the hole indicates something fishy.

Security really should have grilled him about that.

No way I open the door. He may have attempted to force his way in had you remained silent. Not what you'd want but that's my thoughts.

I believe as most here do that this guy bears watching. Covering the peep hole and the noisy diswasher story seem very fishy to me. Please keep a good eye on this guy.

VIP Member
    Having a dead bolted steel outside security door is very comforting during times like you had. I can open the main door a fully see who's on my porch without risk of them rushing me. Best money I've spent on the house since air conditioning!

It looks similar to this one with full steel frame, locking handle and dead bolt:

I suppose that's not an option with an apartment though but something for those who can have one to think about.

Sounds to me like you handled the situation perfectly, you and your fiancé!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

There could have been a second guy down low waiting for you to open the door.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    There could have been a second guy down low waiting for you to open the door.
    Good point.

200 degree peep-hole with brass hole cover:
    PHS Products
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links