Motorcyclists, You are the victim of a hit and run.. - Page 2

Motorcyclists, You are the victim of a hit and run..

This is a discussion on Motorcyclists, You are the victim of a hit and run.. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unless you or another person is in immediate threat of being run over best to get out of the way, get a plate # and ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lead Moderator
    Unless you or another person is in immediate threat of being run over best to get out of the way, get a plate # and call 911.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Maybe, you can to clarify a couple of points as I am getting a different take than most here. It sounds to me like they hit you for the fun of it. Than when they stopped and got control of the car they turned around and tried to nail you and your wife again.
    That being the case a car coming back at me after hitting me would have me firing every round needed to make then stop. Obvious in my mind that they were trying to kill me. Not to mention that they continued on fleeing from a felony (vehicular assault) an act that a citizen is permitted to stop with deadly force if need be, at least that is the law in Washington.
    Sorry about the bike sure it is toast. Hopefully you and your wife have made a full recovery. My wife is having a hard time this morning from our last accident, so I can definitely empathize.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

unless there is no doubt he was trying to run you down ,IE you were off the road and he left the roadway to steer towards you it would be hard to prove self defense,I know a case where a police officer shot at a car and killed the driver,driver was intoxicated and cop had pursued him til car crashed as officer approached car reversersed and took off caught on dashcam the prosecution said instead of officer trying to get out of the way he put himself in a position in the front of the car and they found him guilty.Even if justified you kill the driver and you got 2 tons of steel hurtling down the road out of control it kills somebody and you will find yourself being sued at the very least.Get a description of driver and a plate number
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Unless you or another person is in immediate threat of being run over best to get out of the way, get a plate # and call 911.
    I agree! Those who say shoot would find themselves battling in court for a long time over a decision they made in one second. Your life could be finished as easy as one of the people in the car convincing the jury that the drive was driving back to check on you. Then this crazy pissed off guy on the motorcycle pulled out a gun and opened fire. Road Rage!That is all it would take, and you would have wished you had just jumped out the way.

OK

My bike - totaled.

Injuries - I still flinch when I hear tires screech, the wife hates steep right turns (riders will know what I mean). Lost part of my tattoo on my right forearm, and a chunk out of my right elbow. Impact tears on my right ribcage from my vest eyelets and laces (pretty cool actually), a bit of road rash on my right hip. small 2nd degree burns on both forearms (trying to keep from being under my bike while it rolled) Wife got a bruise the size of a volleyball on her right hip, no road rash. Showers for two weeks were like reliving the incident all over again.

Witnesses would have backed me up if I had done something.

I had tunnel vision. It was a red ford Taurus, maybe four years old. 4 occupants, all SOB, mid 20's. Colorado plate on the back only, thats all I could tell you about that.

While waiting for the two LEO agencies to decide whose jurisdiction gets to investigate the accident (the road we were on was the dividing line), 2 witnesses came up and gave me the plate and the fact that the same car blew the previous light via the left turn lane.

Ambulance shows up. Another witness pulls into the parking lot (10 minuets later) and says he lost them 5 miles down the road at a shopping center. He had been following them for the last 50 blocks when they ran another car off the road and into a pole.

Laying in the ambulance, officers outside. Another witness comes up and says he saw the car pull into an apartment parking lot - already relayed info to 911, came to tell on scene officers. He also gave statemet that he had been following them for the last 70 blocks when he got ran off the road by the same. he witnessed 2 additional accidents they caused and three others run off the road, no damage.

I overheard the name of the registered owner, age, address (same apt complex) apt number, no DRL on record, no insurance (CO tracks that), plates expired via the officer and his radio standing by the back door of the ambulance. LEOs at the apartment stated that the owner is in Mexico visiting family, she does not know who was driving the car, owner should be back in two weeks. Nobody else at the apt complex saw the car pull in, several said it never moved (despite the hot engine) all day. Car was impounded.

Interview with detective the following week. Contacted the INS with the name. It was his third of 5 alias' used (keeps rearranging his name), and they were aware of him and his activities in the area, no other info provided. Photo lineup was a wash. Then I found out the pic was 5 years old. The other two witnesses that followed him gave a positive ID. Still have not located him, probably left for Mexico that night, or started up another name again.

1 month later, suspect picked up (warrant) during another traffic stop. Out on $1000 bond in 1 hour. Assistant DA during his first week had the case and screwed it. 8 charges, all misdemeanors. DA dropped 3 charges on a plea offer (without consulting me) at first court appearance, still looking at 2.5 years in jail.

FTA'd second court date, judge issued $500 warrant. I informed judge that defendant was already on $1000 bond, judge stated that it was not reflected in the file, looked it over, found it, stated that the case file was all messed up and I should take it up with the DA. Could not hold w/o bond on misdemeanors, issued a $5000 bond (max).

Never to be seen again...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Just another reason to controll our borders.

Amazing this guy almost kills several people and dissapears. If you would of stopped him with a bullet you would be in prison.
    The legal system is really screwed up.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do

Wow, sounds like a story Peter Boyles would be interested in (local talk show host). He rides a hog, and he loves to make public the courts mis-handling of illegal immigrants.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Not sure what I would do... I'd probably get right on the cell phone, if it still worked or use my emergency 2-way radio (I always keep one in a saddle bag because it also has a weather radio and has an 18 mile radius [optimally]) and call 911 saying someone ran me and my GF off the road and is coming back for me to run us down, even though that hasn't happened yet. Yeah, I'd lie but in an instance like this you can never be too sure. If it didn't happen, then no real harm done, just say you were mistaken. Pulling my gun? Only if I had a clean shot if and when he got out of his vehicle with intent to do me more harm. I'm a good shot but not at a vehicle that's moving as fast as you made it sound to be able to hit the driver behind a windshield.

I have a Scorpio alarm on my bike with the hijack option. I've thought it through many times if my bike is ever hijacked while I'm on it, I'd hit the remote to shut down the bike and while the alarm is chirping to warm of imminent shutdown (20 or 30 seconds) I pull my cell phone and call 911 saying someone just hijacked my motorcycle, I shut it down remotely and he's coming back to hurt me, please hurry. Even though the guy that stole the bike still has no idea the bike will be shutting down any second. If I happen to have my gun with me, even better. If he decides to really come back for me, that's when I pull it and tell him to drop and spread them, the police are on their way. But more than likely when the bike shuts down, the guy will run the other way once he sees me on the phone.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

If he had stayed put where his car stopped in the parking lot, and appeared genuinely sorry, I might have refrained from beating the crud out of him.

Given the actual events as they occurred, I would have placed as many rounds as I could into the radiator and saved time to dodge the car if they did not stop when I drew. Court be damned, JAM was satisfied when he started coming at me with his car the second time.

The initial hit on the street was a release of the brakes and accelerate, that is intent in my book. His velocity should have carried him uphill continuing the spin out. If anything the rear of the car should have continued around and possibly hit me.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I dunno how many times I have said this and you had no way of knowing it but any illegal in our country should have NO RIGHTS. The Constitution and Bill Of Rights are intended to apply to citizens of the United States Of America, not every yahoo in the world and any illegal in our country doing crimes should be classified as an invading hostile or terrorist and treated accordingly i.e. shot dead on sight.
    Inability to speak English being reasonable evidence that they are a hostile invader. Anyone on friendly terms with this nation would be able to speak English. My mom immigrated from Italy after WWII she spoke English by the time she got here

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I dunno how many times I have said this and you had no way of knowing it but any illegal in our country should have NO RIGHTS. The Constitution and Bill Of Rights are intended to apply to citizens of the United States Of America, not every yahoo in the world and any illegal in our country doing crimes should be classified as an invading hostile or terrorist and treated accordingly i.e. shot dead on sight.
    Inability to speak English being reasonable evidence that they are a hostile invader. Anyone on friendly terms with this nation would be able to speak English. My mom immigrated from Italy after WWII she spoke English by the time she got here
    Erm ... and tourists?

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    Erm ... and tourists?
    There is a reason they call it tourist season.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    There is a reason they call it tourist season.
    +1 one of my favorite bumper stickers is
    "If it's Tourist Season, Why Can't I Shoot Them?"
    That is second only to
    "Boycott The Peoples Republic Of Seattle"

We could do like New Zealand and require that to enter as a tourist you need I think it is like $10,000 cash or a credit card with at least $23,000 on it in return they could have a out of season tag to wear around their necks which would make them exempt from the English speaking requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    Erm ... and tourists?
    Be polite and follow local laws. Rent a car in Juarez, run down a local on a bike, and see how you fare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links